Christian Historical Fiction discussion

Book/Film > Flower, A Story of the Nativity

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wayne (new)

Wayne Stahre | 16 comments This is a relatively new book about The Nativity. It was written to deal with factual errors contained in the New Line Cinema general movie release and companion book. Not to say that it is a movie or book review, it is not. It is an original work which contains historical information presented in an entertaining and original way. The protagonist is named Flower, she is the innkeeper's wife and is a formidable woman, who, by the end of the book break many sterotypes. She is independent, sassy, intelligent, clever, and despite her being a size 26, is probably the most beautiful woman you will ever meet. Flower is also a love story but it is not a syrrupy romance novel. Flower is married and her husband loves her deeply.

Flower is available to read, free of charge, on Googlebooks (full text is posted) but is also available at Amazon.com, Barnes and Noble.com, etc.

The following is a review by Midwest Book Review available online at www.midwestbookreview.com

Flower, A Story Of The Nativity
Wayne Stahre
Habitation of Chimham Publishing
9781606430811, www.chimhampublish.com
Review by Midwest Book Revie
www.midwestbookreview.com

The story of the birth of Jesus has been the subject of innumerable works of art, literature and music. But in the past two thousand [years:] of storytelling no one has told the tale from the perspective of the innkeeper's wife. No one until Wayne Stahre put pen to paper to create "Flower, A Story Of The Nativity". With a genuine flair for engaging narrative, author Wayne Stahre combines both fictitious characters (such as Flower herself) with historical figures and retells the Nativity story with a realism that draws upon archaeology, history, and meticulous biblical research. Of special note is how within the context of an original and creative approach, "Flower, A Story Of The Nativity" deals with such implicit and explicit questions as to the identity of the 'Wise Men', the nature of the Star of Bethlehem, the appearances of the angels Gabriel and Michael, the background of the Roman census of Judea, why the God of Israel permitted the murder of children by Herod's forces, why there are differences between the genealogy accounts by Matthew and Luke, why Matthew says Jesus and his family fled to Egypt to escape Herod's slaughter of the innocents, when Luke's account has Jesus being taken to Nazareth after his birth. An entertaining and highly recommend read, "Flower, A Story Of The Nativity" is an informed and deftly written historical adventure novel that would make an exceptionally popular addition to any personal reading list or community library fiction collection.

message 2: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Chind (cherryblossommj) | 395 comments Mod
Also, what I was mentioning in books.ning.com are reviewers who review for free books and not payment.

message 3: by Wayne (new)

Wayne Stahre | 16 comments The funny thing about this is that while Flower is about the Nativity Story, Christian bookstores, both B&M and online show little interest in it while secular stores line Barnes and Noble have hosted book signings for me. It feels a bit like "no room at the inn".

While Habitation of Chimham* is only a little over a year old, in the coming year we plan to publish the following books:
Mordecai, The Easter Story (a prequel, sequel to Flower)

Cross Talk, from the Pew (an anthology)

The Shack, No Trespassing (a critique of the Shack)

When My Children, Who are Called by My Name (an analysis spiritual warfare and modern American Politics)

Science vs Christianity, Why Christianity Wins.

*an Old Testament name fow what became the Inn at Bethlehem.

message 4: by Wayne (new)

Wayne Stahre | 16 comments Margaret wrote: "Also, what I was mentioning in books.ning.com are reviewers who review for free books and not payment. "

Margaret wrote: "Also, what I was mentioning in books.ning.com are reviewers who review for free books and not payment. "

Kate wrote: "Hi Wayne,

Please know there was no offense taken. Margaret was just kindly trying to mention that we like to keep that area for prayer and praise and perhaps help you with your book by suggesting ..."

That's fine.

BTW Margaret, that link for reviews is broken.

message 6: by Margaret (new)

Wayne wrote: "The funny thing about this is that while Flower is about the Nativity Story, Christian bookstores, both B&M and online show little interest in it while secular stores line Barnes and Noble have hos..."

Interesting. I do not know what to tell you as far as interest from various sources. I'm just a lowly reader/reviewer and stick to what I love, which is historical fiction. It sounds like two of your books are almost historical fiction, but at the same time you describe them as response books, which puts them in a category. And thus, it is a little confusing as to what factors any of this into the historical christian fiction area and why are you in this discussion group?

One thing I can say is that big stores like BN have much more in their budget for staging author signings and the like, while the Christian stores do not. Plus being from a indie publishing company affects their decisions as well.

message 7: by Wayne (new)

Wayne Stahre | 16 comments Margaret,

You wrote: "It sounds like two of your books are almost historical fiction, but at the same time you describe them as response books, which puts them in a category."

I am not sure why there is this confusion. Flower, A Story of the Nativity, and Mordecai, The Easter Story are unequivocally Christian historical fiction though I would not classify them as Christian Romance novels.

Once again, I am offering a copy of Flower, free of charge to goodread.com members.

This is an historically and Biblically accurate account of the Nativity.

Adjacent to Bethlehem was Migdal-Eder, the watchtower of the flock. The lambs from there were the ones used for the sacrifices in the Temple. Flower posits that though there was no room in the inn, rather than a stable (which is never mentioned in the Bible) Jesus was born in Migdal-Eder, and so the Lamb of God was born where all the other lambs who would be sacrificed were born.

message 8: by Margaret (new)

Ok Wayne, my mistake. I'm just responding to the way you said:

It was written to deal with factual errors contained in the New Line Cinema general movie release and companion book. Not to say that it is a movie or book review, it is not. It is an original work which contains historical information presented in an entertaining and original way.

When I see that I do not think of historical fiction in the manner that most books in this group are. And I am not referencing anything about romance either. I guess you could call it Biblical fiction, but the way you called it a response, makes the image in my head different. Not stepping on toes, just commenting.