Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > TheoAnn's July Reads

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann (theoann) | 50 comments Better late than never...

Shanghai Girls - Lisa See Good book, if a little too open ended (there's a sequel coming... I hadn't read much about the early Chinese immigration to the US before.

Grave Goods - Ariana Franklin

The Chosen One - Carole Lynch Williams YA novel about a girl in a polygamous community.

Finger Lickin' Fifteen - Janet Evanovich not my favorite Stephanie Plum. I only laughed out loud once.

Cemetery Dance - Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. I just love the Agent Pendergast series.

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14300 comments Theo Ann:
I really enjoyed learning more about the Chinese culture and history while listening to Amy Tan's The Bonesetter's Daughter. And thanks for reminding me I need to get to another
Ariana Franklin book someday soon! I loved Mistress of the Art of Death.

Ann/TheoAnn wrote: "Better late than never...
Shanghai Girls - Lisa See Good book, if a little too open ended (there's a sequel coming... I hadn't read much about the early Chinese immigration to the US before.

message 3: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3599 comments Ann/TheoAnn wrote: "Better late than never...

..."

I read SHANGHAI GIRLS in July, too. Not my usual type of book, but I enjoyed it.

message 4: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments Ann/TheoAnn wrote: "Better late than never...

..."

I learned something on my roadtrip. While visiting the Golden Spike National Site, the park ranger, described how the Chinese immigrants were building the railroad. The Indians didn't want the railroad and told the Chinese workers that a wolf grabbed the workers during the night and ate them. Several workers left their camps in fear and of course, the remaining workers just knew that their coworkers were taken by the wolf.
While there, I picked up a book and plan on reading it soon: Nothing Like It In The World, the men who built the transcontinental railroad 1863-1869, by Stephen E. Ambrose. Lots of great historical pictures in this one.

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (theoann) | 50 comments While there, I picked up a book and plan on reading it soon: Nothing Like It In The World, the men who built the transcontinental railroad 1863-1869, by Stephen E. Ambrose. Lots of great historical pictures in this one.

I just got that from Bookmooch. It looks good.