Great African Reads discussion

Archived | Reg Read Noms 2018 > Jan/Feb 2018 | Western Africa

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anetq, Tour Operator & Guide (new)

Anetq | 672 comments Mod
The first read of 2018 will be from Western Africa (as defined by the UN geoscheme)

While Nigeria is probably the literary superpower in this area, there are plenty of contries to choose from:
Benin, Burkina Faso, Cabo Verde, Cote d'Ivoire, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha, Senegal, Sierra Leone & Togo.

Try to keep nominations to one pr. person - and you're welcome to second someone else's nomintion.
- depending on the votes we will be reading two of the group choices in Jan/Feb.

message 2: by Mark (new)

Mark Weston (markweston19) | 14 comments Hi, not sure if this is the right place to nominate a book for this series, but since it covers three of the listed countries - Sierra Leone, Burkina Faso and Guinea-Bissau - as a Goodreads author I humbly submit my own West Africa book, The Ringtone and the Drum, which has some quite good reviews on here. The Ringtone and the Drum: Travels in the World's Poorest Countries

message 3: by Anetq, Tour Operator & Guide (new)

Anetq | 672 comments Mod
Mark wrote: "Hi, not sure if this is the right place to nominate a book for this series"
- it's the right place :)

message 4: by PS, Short Story Reading Chief (last edited Dec 04, 2017 03:44PM) (new)

PS | 143 comments Mod
I'd like to nominate Our Sister Killjoy by Ama Ata Aidoo.

message 5: by Yemisi (new)

Yemisi Otasanya | 3 comments Hello Mark,

Is this nomination for books written by West African Authors or about West Africa? Either way, I am a West African Author and was wondering if it would be possible to include a fiction adventure that features Nigeria, South Africa and Massachusetts. Not necessarily native, but includes a bit of native language. Just finished working on the final version and is re-publishing on amazon next week. Kindly see link https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3.... Also on amazon.

Thank you,

Yemisi

message 6: by PS, Short Story Reading Chief (last edited Dec 04, 2017 03:40PM) (new)

PS | 143 comments Mod
Yemisi, both books set in West Africa or those written by west African authors work. You're welcome to nominate your book.

message 7: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 57 comments I nominate The Beautiful Ones Are Not Yet Born by Ghana's Ayi Kwei Armah. First published in 1969. 224 pages.

message 8: by Yemisi (new)

Yemisi Otasanya | 3 comments Sofia wrote: "Yemisi, both books set in West Africa or those written by west African authors work. You're welcome to nominate your book."

Thank you Sofia.

message 9: by Yemisi (new)

Yemisi Otasanya | 3 comments I'd like to nominate Above The Ether by Nigerian Author Yemisi Aremu Otasanya. First published in 2016. 124 pages.

message 10: by Tinea, Nonfiction Logistician (new)

Tinea (pist) | 341 comments Mod
There are so many great options here, it's hard to choose just one.
- Here's a list of West African books on Goodreads (and you can search Listopia for most countries as well)
- 6 West African Books with Unconventional Approaches to Gender and Power
- Check out Cassava Republic publishers for interesting, contemporary West African literature published in Nigeria and now available worldwide

I'll nominate God's Bits of Wood by Ousmane Sembène form Senegal.

message 11: by Julien (last edited Dec 05, 2017 08:21AM) (new)

Julien | 3 comments I would like to nominate The Ultimate Tragedy by Abdulai Sila as it is, apparently, the only book written by an author from Guinea-Bissau to have been translated into English (or at least recently?). I have never read any literary work from that country and thought that this would be the perfect opportunity.

message 12: by Michael (new)

Michael (stribling67) | 1 comments I’d like to nominate For Broken Men Who Cross Often

message 13: by Anetq, Tour Operator & Guide (new)

Anetq | 672 comments Mod
Michael wrote: "I’d like to nominate For Broken Men Who Cross Often"
Thanks Michael, could you add a link to the book (just use the add book/author above the text box)?

message 14: by C.M. (last edited Dec 06, 2017 07:47AM) (new)

C.M. Okonkwo (cmo29) | 3 comments I would like to nominate Twenty-One Days, a realistic fiction novel, set in Nigeria by C.M. Okonkwo

Free e-copies can be provided for everyone.

message 15: by Anetq, Tour Operator & Guide (new)

Anetq | 672 comments Mod
C.M. wrote: "Hello all,

Always glad to read from this group and I hope you all are doing well.

I would like to nominate two of my books set in West Africa (Nigeria). It has a few Nigerian words, but it has a ..."

Please limit your nomination to one book, as stated in the intro (message 1)

message 16: by Sarah (last edited Dec 06, 2017 07:18AM) (new)

Sarah Logan | 5 comments I'd like to nominate What is Not Yours is Not Yours by Helen Oyeyemi (Nigeria)

message 17: by Anne (new)

message 18: by Diane, Head Librarian (new)

Diane | 422 comments Mod
I'd like to nominate Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi.

message 19: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Ooo some great recommendations on here! Does it matter what genre the book is in? If not, I have Children of Blood and Bone on my list (a fun, YA fantasy novel). If so, my other option would be Blackass.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

I'd love to second Homegoing and What is Not Yours is Not Yours.

message 20: by Tinea, Nonfiction Logistician (new)

Tinea (pist) | 341 comments Mod
Anetq wrote: "Michael wrote: "I’d like to nominate For Broken Men Who Cross Often"
Thanks Michael, could you add a link to the book (just use the add book/author above the text box)?"

Here's a link to For Broken Men Who Cross Often, by poet Efe Paul Azino of Nigeria.

message 21: by Wim, French Readings (new)

Wim | 592 comments Mod
I would like to nominate Stay with Me by Ayobami Adebayo. It's been on my list for a while.

message 22: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Bakody | 21 comments I would like to second Stay with Me.

message 23: by LiberianGirl (new)

LiberianGirl | 3 comments The Lazarus Effect by H. J. Golakai

message 24: by Whitlaw (new)

Whitlaw Tanyanyiwa Mugwiji (jjwhitlaw) | 14 comments C.M. wrote: "I would like to nominate Twenty-One Days, a realistic fiction novel, set in Nigeria by C.M. Okonkwo

Free e-copies can be provided for everyone."

Can I have the copy please

message 25: by I.J (last edited Dec 16, 2017 06:54AM) (new)

I.J Jagua Nana by Cyprian Ekwensi and Violence by Festus Iyayi are two very under-appreciated West African novels. They are both personal favorites.

message 26: by Anetq, Tour Operator & Guide (new)

Anetq | 672 comments Mod
@Ijenoma Are you nominating one of them? Or was it just a general recommandation?

message 27: by I.J (new)

I.J I didn't read the post in it's entirety, so that post was supposed to be a nomination. now that I see that it's one nomination per person, I think Violence is my choice nominee for the book club.

message 28: by Anetq, Tour Operator & Guide (last edited Dec 16, 2017 09:41AM) (new)

Anetq | 672 comments Mod
Valerie wrote: "Ooo some great recommendations on here! Does it matter what genre the book is in? If not, I have Children of Blood and Bone on my list (a fun, YA fantasy novel). If so, my other option would be Bla..."

Valerie - you can nominate one book - but as
Children of Blood and Bone is not out until march 2018 I've included Blackass as your choice!

message 29: by Anetq, Tour Operator & Guide (last edited Dec 16, 2017 09:57AM) (new)

Anetq | 672 comments Mod
Dear all. 2018 is fast approaching - so it's time to vote so people have a chance of getting their hands on the book they want to participate in reading.

Seconded Nominations
The Beautiful Ones Are Not Yet Born by Ayi Kwei Armah. 224 pages. 1969 Ghana.

Stay with Me by Ayobami Adebayo. 260 pages. 2017 Nigeria.

Other Nominations
The Ringtone and the Drum: Travels in the World's Poorest Countries by Mark Weston. 330 pages. 2012 (Guinea-Bissau, Sierra Leone and Burkina Faso)

Our Sister Killjoy by Ama Ata Aidoo .134 pages. 1997 Ghana.

Above The Ether by Yemisi Aremu Otasanya. 150 pages. 2016 Nigeria.

God's Bits of Wood by Ousmane Sembène. 252 pages. 1960 Senegal.

The Ultimate Tragedy by Abdulai Sila. 222 pages. 1996 Guinea-Bissau.

For Broken Men Who Cross Often by Efe Paul Azino. 71 pages. 2016 Nigeria.

Twenty-One Days by C.M. Okonkwo. 500 pages. 2015 Nigeria.

What is Not Yours is Not Yours by Helen Oyeyemi. 325 pages. 2016 (Nigeria?).

Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi. 300 pages. 2016 Ghana.

Never Look an American in the Eye: A Memoir of Flying Turtles, Colonial Ghosts, and the Making of a Nigerian American by Okey Ndibe. 224 pages. 2016 Nigeria.

The Lazarus Effect by H.J. Golakai. 360 pages. 2016 Liberia.

Violence by Festus Iyayi. ? Pages. 1979 Nigeria.

Blackass by A. Igoni Barrett. 272 pages. 2015 Nigeria.

Please join us in voting over here:
https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

PS: This time around I've included all nominated books in the vote. We may change this in later polls, so only seconded books go straight to voting, while other nominated books go through a draw if we have too many nominations. (We're working this out as we change to regional reading, so thanks for your patience as we try out a few things!)
Thanks to everyone who nominated and seconded books this time around - we look forward to reading some of them with you in the new year!

message 30: by Manu (new)

Manu (manuherb) | 164 comments Ijeoma wrote: "I didn't read the post in it's entirety, so that post was supposed to be a nomination. now that I see that it's one nomination per person, I think Violence is my choice nominee for t..."

I second Ijeoma's nomination of Festus Iyayi's Violence.

message 31: by Anetq, Tour Operator & Guide (new)

Anetq | 672 comments Mod
Thanks Manu - it’s already up in the poll - so it’s time to go vote there :)

message 32: by Anetq, Tour Operator & Guide (new)

Anetq | 672 comments Mod
Authors!
Please note : We have decided to not allow selv-nomination going forward - but if you are an author and would like to promote your book, please feel free to do so in this folder. Thank you for your understanding!

message 33: by C.M. (new)

C.M. Okonkwo (cmo29) | 3 comments Whitlaw wrote: "C.M. wrote: "I would like to nominate Twenty-One Days, a realistic fiction novel, set in Nigeria by C.M. Okonkwo

Free e-copies can be provided for everyone."
Can I..."

Hi Whitlaw,

Apologies for the late response. Please shoot me your email address and I'll send you a copy.

Cheers,
CMO.

message 34: by C.M. (new)

C.M. Okonkwo (cmo29) | 3 comments Anetq wrote: "C.M. wrote: "Hello all,

I would like to nominate two of my books set in West Africa (Nigeria). It has a few Nigerian words, ..."

Hi,

I missed that in the intro, as I was using my phone. It's been since corrected.

Cheers,
CMO.

message 35: by Anetq, Tour Operator & Guide (new)

Anetq | 672 comments Mod
C.M. wrote: "Anetq wrote: "C.M. wrote: "Hello all,

I would like to nominate two of my books set in West Africa (Nigeria). It has a few Ni..."

No worries - Feel free to use the promotion folder, and I hope your books find some readers :)