Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > Do you drop by people's houses without calling?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 69 (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Ok...I have a friend, a pretty good friend, who just sort of drops by the house at weird times. It happened twice in the last two days. First he stopped by to see the dogs. Now, this wasn't that bad, as I told him to come over later, but I thought he would call first. When he was leaving I asked him if he wanted to hit the coffee shop today and he said sure. So...he stopped by my house without calling first at 8:30AM. I was at the YMCA. He just sort of stops by at least once a week, probably twice. He's a good guy and it's not enough of a pain to bring up to him but I don't think I'd ever just stop at anyone's house except my immediate neighbors (and maybe not even then) without calling first and expect that person to drop everything and hang out for a couple hours.

What do you think?

message 2: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments same. just my neighbors. my friend's mother-in-law pops in unannounced all the time. now that's gotta be the worst. at least your popper is someone you want to see.

message 3: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I did this myself when I was an adolescent. I hate when others do it to me -- so I'm more sensitive to it now. Unless there is a really good relationship wherein that sort of thing is acceptable, it's really pretty rude.

message 4: by Nuri (new)

Nuri (nools) | 538 comments It depends on who? And I don't do it myself, but occasionally, when a friend's done this to me, I've been somewhat pleased. My situations are different, I guess. Usually, it's a friend who lives in the same building stopping by, or (at home-home) a friend I haven't seen in ages who knows I'm only in town for a week.

message 5: by smetchie (last edited Aug 10, 2009 03:44AM) (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments I don't actually think of it as rude. (I know some people do,though.) I think it's just one of those social differences. Like some people are mouth-kissers.

message 6: by Félix (last edited Aug 09, 2009 11:40AM) (new)

Félix (habitseven) I can think of a few people that would please me by stopping by. A small few. A couple of them very much so.

message 7: by Sally, la reina (last edited Aug 09, 2009 12:13PM) (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17333 comments Mod
I used to do it quite a lot. I never knew it was rude until I was on a bike ride with a friend and we were near our mutual friend Carolyn's house. I happily suggested we pedal that way and see what she was up to that day, but my bike ride friend was aghast: "don't you think we should have called?"

Ever since then I've made an effort to call first. But actually, I have less friends now than I did then. Maybe this is why. Huh.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I only have one friend that I ever drop in on like that, and it's always because I'm on a bike ride past her house.
And when I do, it's just to say hi, not to hang out for hours.
Maybe it's a bike-riding thing?

message 9: by RandomAnthony (last edited Aug 09, 2009 04:58PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments You know, I'm the same as Larry in that I don't drop by other people's houses because I don't want people dropping in on me. I think I messed up the first time with this guy because he stopped over during the Brew game once and I invited him to watch with me. We had a pretty good time, and I think he wants to replicate it.

Oh, one more thing...once I was going to walk over to a neighbor's house to borrow one of those...I don't know what you call them...big staplers construction workers use. My wife said, "you know, you might not want to go over there now because both their kids are gone and they might be having sex."

That freaked me out. Now I never want to stop by anyone's house ever without warning them.

My mother in law lives pretty far away, too, thank God. If she ever popped by I'd f--king faint.

message 10: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments With everyone having cellphones now, I can't imagine how anyone would not at least call first and say, hey I'm turning onto your street, are you busy? Even for really good friends who I'd like to see at any time and who would feel the same about me. It's just a courtesy, right?

message 11: by Heidi (last edited Aug 10, 2009 07:35AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Well considering that you all already know I have space/bubble issues, it really shouldn't surprise you that I can't stand to be dropped in on unannounced.

And I always call or at least send a text ahead of time... even when my dog tries to invite himself over to my friend/neighbor, Lauryn's place (Rusty's mom... Rusty is Robby's BFF). He does that alot. Fortunately, they're usually sitting on their porch and waiting/ready for us. I never stay longer than 10 minutes if he pulls that.

~~~~~

I have a neighbor, though, who's gotten into an annoying habit - she will wait for me about the time I get home, her dog on leash in hand so we can walk our dogs together when I get home.

I do enjoy walking our dogs together, but NOT after a long day at the office... and not so I can listen to the gossip about all our other neighbors. I want alone time for at least 30 minutes when I get home from work.

message 12: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments If people are sitting on their front porch, then that is an invitation to visit, I think. At least it was in the South.

message 13: by Sally, la reina (new)

Heidi, who is Robby/Rusty again?

Mindy, you remind me, our front porch light used to be the signal of "yes, we're here and happy to see you" or "no, we're sleeping/watching a movie go away." when I was a tyke. Now Sweeter believes that one should leave the light on all the time for safety sake.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

We seldom if ever just drop by, or for that matter get dropped in on. Like someone stated before that with cell phones it is so easy to call and say we will be going by your place in a little bit, is it a good time to stop by?

On the other hand if I'm outside and one of the neighbors is out walking or something, I usually have no problem stopping to shoot the shit.

message 15: by Heidi (last edited Aug 10, 2009 07:41AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Robby is my dog. Rusty is my neighbor Lauryn's dog. When she goes out of town, Rusty stays with us. When I go out of town and can't take Robby with me, Robby stays with them.

Last time Rusty stayed with us, both dogs ganged up on me and stole my grilled cheese sandwich. I'd have been irritated with them if it wasn't so cute/funny/amusing.

Neighbor with the annoying habit's dog is Barkley.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Frrreeeeeeeezzzzing?

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Well now I know your having trouble, I could have swore you made a comment Frrr

message 18: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments perfectly fine if you live in Mayberry

message 19: by Sally, la reina (new)

It's like Bun is saving her place in the conversation. Saturday she was full of fi fi fi fi fi's.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Well I hope they all came out OK.

message 21: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments egg-zactly bun

i live in the country and occasionally in the sticks you need to turn around on a county road in the evening so you pull into a drive with your lights on. you can see into the farmhouse that is lit up in the front room and someone will turn and look from an easy chair and then stand up and buckle their pants and head to the door

"pull your pants up earl, we got company"

message 22: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Heh. That would be a good TC slogan...

"Pull your pants up, TC people...we got company"

message 23: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments RandomAnthony wrote: "Heh. That would be a good TC slogan...

"Pull your pants up, TC people...we got company""

I imagine it work for many scenarios. It could be the new catchphrase of the day. It's sort of got flexibility. :)

message 24: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments like every time someone new pops in a thread where we are totally zigging instead of zagging

message 25: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I use that one all the time too, Bun. :)

message 26: by Kevin (last edited Aug 10, 2009 10:16AM) (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments pants? slacks? i love to say culottes when a girl has capri's on (i know that prob didn't need the apostrophe but it looked weird without it sally).

"rockin' the culottes today eh"

"huh?"

"culottes. britches. slacks. your mary tyler moores."

"what are you talking about?"

"yea..h. don't really know....see ya"

message 27: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments and a very popular group at all Twister parties

message 28: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments right hand blue

message 29: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Left hand green.

All skate, now reverse.

message 30: by Sally, la reina (new)

right foot red!

message 31: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments all skate! wow, that brings back memories. after the couple skate they did the limbo deal on skates

message 32: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I never answer my phone, either, just so you know.

I love that new cable function that shows the caller's name/number on the screen. Now I don't even have to get off my butt to check whose call I'm not answering.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I hate answering the phone, and caller i.d. means, unless I recognize the caller, I won't pick up the call. And not even then, if I'm not in the mood to talk.

message 34: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments high-fives Jackie

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I guess I feel about phone calls the way most people feel about unannounced house visits. I'd rather arrange a get-together than have someone just call when they're in the mood to chat.

message 36: by Sally, la reina (new)

Nobody calls me anymore b/c it's been eons since I've answered my cell phone.

message 37: by Knarik (new)

Knarik I HATE when somebody calls me using Skype, especially when I am doing smth. interesting or important.

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't answer the phone at home either.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

BunWat wrote: "Just cause my phone rings doesn't mean I have to answer it. And I love caller id. "

I've had people get mad at me for not answering, and I don't have caller ID.

message 40: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Things have changed so much.

message 41: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments I got an invitation to skype yesterday. Is it not something you can be invisible on, like with IMs? I don't want to join if I can screen my calls.

message 42: by Sally, la reina (new)

How does it work? I see that my friends are using it...

message 43: by Knarik (new)

Knarik you can go to www.skype.com and download it for free, then you can add contacts, who also have skype and speak with them and see them for free, no matter where they are(in the US, or not). It is very conveniant: you don't have to pay as you do for speaking on telephone, and if both sides have a camera, you can see each other while speaking, you also can send messages. to find and add a contact you have to know their skype ID, or the email by which they registered. Follow the link and you will find all the information you want.

message 44: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I love Skype, except for really important calls, when it mysteriously crashes...or maybe that's me. We use it to talk to friends and family all over the world really cheaply.

message 45: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i have used skype many times internationally as it is like $.04 a minute to call from China. you get a rate list from wherever you are calling from/to. you buy credits. that is from computer to phone. from computer to computer it is free. i can use skype on my phone but only where i have a wifi connection. so i can call someone on their mobile phone (of they have a skype app) for free if we are both using wifi. no minutes used.

i do skype teleconferences from my work with a 4th grade class a friend of mine teaches. when they do a business/computer section they call me and we do a video chat thing. kids are goofy

message 46: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I use Skype with my friends at work a lot. It's not bad.

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

My daughter has talked about us using skype, it may be a good way to stay in touch.

message 48: by Knarik (new)

Knarik it is especially great for people like me, who have a lot of friends and relatives abroad.

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

So that is a recommendation then Knarik?

message 50: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Sounds like one to me.

« previous 1