College Students! discussion

college talk > Packing, Moving, etc.

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
When is everyone's move in dates? Are you all excited to be going back? What packing have you done/need to do?

Michelle (In Libris Veritas) (shadowrose) My move in date is Monday 10th (tomorrow)....not really tooo excited to be going back as far as living there goes. And as far as packing, well I need to do all of it.
I haven't been procrastinating just caught off guard by how quickly it sprung up on me.

message 3: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Wow! That's pretty early. I feel like I always moved in around the 20th..give or take a few days.

I was always the type to have good intentions of packing and start real early on certain things and then be like "Oh..I have so much time..I'll forget about it for a few days." And then BAM..I would not realize how fast time flew and that I had to move in 2 days.

Good luck packing!

Michelle (In Libris Veritas) (shadowrose) Thanks! I'll need it. lol

Yeah we start classes this Thursday ( I never get why we start at the end of the week). So I'll be pulling my hair out moving, buying books, and trying to feel at home.

message 5: by Lynn (new)

Lynn I'm starting moving in on Monday too! Our classes don't start 'til the 19th but I have orientation training and then orientation. I have TONS to pack still (mostly clothes. really need to wash 'em!) And I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate moving. ugh. I wish they could magically just appear and disappear.

I always start getting kinda homesick and nervous this time of year. I feel like I'm "not allowed" to go home during the school year and I just really miss being in my house and around myfamily and pets. But I'll be excited to see people again. It'll be all good but it just takes a little while for transition

message 6: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

I HATED moving too! It was such a pain in the butt to pack everything, get it in the car, get it out of the car, carry it to room, unpack it all.

I'll never forget my freshman year of moving in. My best friend and I arrived around the same time with our parents and an insane amount of stuff into this tiny cramped room. The air conditioning wasn't working and it was an insanely HOT August day. We were dripping with sweat and literally couldn't move because boxes and bags were overtaking the room. It was pretty hilarious!

I actually NEVER got homesick. It was so weird. I've just never been the type of person to ever be homesick. I mean..yeah..I miss certain things about being home..but I don't know why I never have experienced it..not even on vacations, trips to Europe, going to summer camps, etc. But I've had roommates who definitely got homesick so I got to understand what they felt like.

message 7: by Lynn (new)

Lynn I'm the complete opposite homesick-wise! I get homesick really easily (but I think I deal with it well ... at least better than I did when I was a kid!) I mean, even on family vacations, I'll get homesick for my own bed and for our pets and stuff. I really worry that it'll stick with me my whole life. I really don't want it to, b/c I'm not planning on moving home after I graduate grad school and everything. idk. I just really hope it doesn't retard me from moving my life forward.

Michelle (In Libris Veritas) (shadowrose) I was a bit homesick last year. I'm a very distance conscious person, so even though the campus is only 30 mins away from my actual house I freaked out for a bit. But the thing is with me I get stressed out very VERY easily so I come home every weekend, because I can't stand to be at the dorm. 5 days there is enough to demisnish my patience and work my nerves tremendously. It's the not the classes it's just living there. Last year we had neighbors that were horrible.

But move in last year wasn't too bad, it was busy and hot of course. But it was over after about an hour and a half. Worse thing was lugging the fridge up to the 2nd floor (no elevators). This time should be easier, no fridge and we gained elevators. lol

message 9: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Dorms definitely suck for the most part. They aren't homey at all. i was like you, Michelle, I came home pretty much every weekend my freshman year but when I moved into the apts, I didn't as much. I think b/c there was so much more space and I didn't feel as cramped.

Michelle (In Libris Veritas) (shadowrose) Maybe it'll be that way with me this year then because I'm moving into a suite. I also came home because of my boyfriend but now that he has a crazy schedule with no set off days I don't know if I'll be as animate about coming home. I tend to feel trapped on campus though, having no car and what not...which is extremely frustrating...

message 11: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (thewolvessaid) I have an apartment so I've stayed here over the summer (no way I'm ever going "home" for an extended period again, lol) but next weekend I'm changing apartments so I have to move out of my current apartment by 9am August 14 and can't move into my new apartment until noon on the 15th. So I'm homeless for a night!! But luckily my parents are coming up and we are getting a U-Haul to keep all my stuff in. I'm kinda stupid because my new apartment is on the 4th Floor...and no elevators. I hope I don't kill myself pushing a couch up all those stairs!!!

School doesn't start until Sept 2nd or 3rd or something, so I have a good three weeks until that whole schedule starts up again.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I move back into the dorms on the 23rd. Yes, I'm super excited to be going back. I need to do all of my packing, but that's what next two weeks are for.

message 13: by Jess (new)

Jess I move back on August 28. This is the first year (well, also my last year, since I'll be graduating in May) that I'm not moving back early to help with Orientation. I'm not bringing a ton this year, though I have a lot of apartment stuff to bring. Pots and pans and lamps galore!

message 14: by Lianne (last edited Aug 10, 2009 04:54PM) (new)

Lianne (eclecticreading) | 71 comments This is my first time moving into residence (I lived at home during my undergraduate but my graduate school is in another city) and I'm set to move on September 5th (classes start September 10th). I almost have all the things I need but I'm not thinking about packing at the moment (been thinking of other things to take care of before I move) xD

message 15: by Lori, The Over-Caffeinated Coffee Girl (new)

Lori Walker | 2109 comments Mod
I moved this past weekend and I was really worried about it because my dad was only available for a couple of hours and I had a ton of homework to do. My friend said she'd help me next weekend if I didn't get everything done so that we could hang out. Long story short, I told her there wasn't enough booze in the world to make moving fun.

I ended up getting it everything moved into my apartment by 2:30 on Saturday. Without staying up later than usual, I had everything put away by the time I left at noon on Sunday, except for hanging my pictures and my curtains. I was impressed with myself.