Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Team Challenges Archive > Team Statue of Liberty

Comments Showing 1-50 of 744 (744 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 15

NBRC Book Ninja | 1025 comments

Statue of Liberty
Anagram for Built to Stay Free
(The image has been chosen as in the book the Da Vinci Code one of the clues was Apple, that is also a name for NYC where the Statue of Liberty is.)

Members

Name Books p.a. Timezone
Vicki 35 USA (PST)
Michelle 100 USA (PST)
Hope 40 USA (East Coast)
Danielle BB 60 USA (East Coast)
Carmen 100 USA (East Coast)
Sarenna 125 USA (PST)
Lesley 200 USA (East Coast)
Mary: HDLS 200 USA (East Coast)
Alley 150 USA (CST)

Captain Vicki and Co-captain Michelle

NBRC Book Ninja | 1025 comments reserved

NBRC Book Ninja | 1025 comments reserved

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 7187 comments I'm here! I found my team!!

message 5: by Lesley (new)

Lesley (laparks) | 729 comments I'm here too!! I'm so excited to be a part of this challenge!!

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments Hi team. Excited to get started. Vicki, have you created our secret group yet?

message 8: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5279 comments Hello!

message 9: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments Hi Mary! I've got a bunch of books on deck waiting for our word. This should be a fun one.

message 10: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 14780 comments Mod
No secret groups for this challenge because there is no info that needs to be hidden, We did that intentionally so that teams can visit eachother here in the open :)

message 11: by Sarenna (new)

Sarenna (djsthree) | 73 comments I'm here too! Looking forward to starting!

message 12: by Nichole (new)

Nichole | 980 comments *whispers* I only know Mary... but I like to post pictures so here ya go!

statue of liberty photo: Statue of Liberty statue-of-liberty-sunset.jpg

message 13: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 14780 comments Mod
awww pretty

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 7187 comments I like the picture. Pss, you think we could see if they can put that picture instead LOL

message 15: by Alley (new)

Alley (alleycatfish) | 198 comments Hello all! Excited to get started!

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 7187 comments I'm curious as to which book genre is going to be in the 1st spin.

message 17: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5279 comments When is the first spin?

message 18: by Vicki (new)

Vicki | 194 comments Michelle, I tried to contact Hope through her reading list and could not. Can you try to make sure she is participating?

message 19: by NBRC Book Ninja (new)

NBRC Book Ninja | 1025 comments week one
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

message 20: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments I sent Hope a request. She's on the east coast so I'm sure she's in bed right now--unless she has a crazy job like me.

message 21: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments Vicki, do you want me to make up a spreadsheet to consolidate all of our reads in one place? Just let me know what help you need. I'm off tomorrow so I will be on after I get some sleep tonight.

Also, I have 4 books I'm starting for this week, and might be able to knock out a 5th. All of them will fit one of our letters.

message 22: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5279 comments Ugh. Not a big Dystopian fan.

message 23: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5279 comments So should we just claim letters or what? I'll check the books I had planned to read this coming week and see what letters they can cover. I need some breakfast first and to walk the dog before it gets too hot.

Danielle Book Boss (daniellebookboss) Hi everyone! I didn't realize the team threads were up! Excited to play!

message 25: by Vicki (new)

Vicki | 194 comments Michelle,
Thank you, if you could put together a Spreadsheet that would be great.

message 26: by Mary C (last edited Jul 12, 2014 09:48AM) (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5279 comments Here is what I had planned to read/finish or start in the next week or so. This might change onnce the Bookshelf Bingo call is made tonight. It's mostly based on which library ebooks are expiring soonest and what I might have already started. They are listed in the order they are expiring for me.

Kissed a Sad Goodbye-D,
Fate's Edge-A,I,N(?)
Skin Game-D,
An Inquiry Into Love and Death: S,I,D
Rescue My Heart-A(Adam), S, D,
Hexes and Hemlines-I,A,
Under A Harvest Moon-N,D,
Destiny of the Wolf T,S,D
The Ghost and the Haunted Mansion A,P,S,

message 27: by Vicki (new)

Vicki | 194 comments Mary,
I don't see our genre on the team thread but from Danielle's post I'm assuming it's dystopian. Sorry I'm still learning to navigate in the challenge.

message 28: by Danielle Book Boss (last edited Jul 12, 2014 06:56AM) (new)

Danielle Book Boss (daniellebookboss) Vicki, yes it's Dystopian. So right now I believe everyone is just going to list what they plan to read that can spell out the word.

I think that Y and O might be the most difficult ones.

Also here is the shelf list for dystopian: https://www.goodreads.com/genres/dyst...

So we can get the bonus points.

message 29: by Mary C (last edited Jul 12, 2014 06:45AM) (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5279 comments It is dystopian per post 19.

I'm not seeing anything I own the Dystopian list. But I got tired of scrolling after about 20 pages of the shelf.

I have a link to the Goodreads Top Shelves. It can be hard to get to from the genre pages but I found doing it this way easier if I don't have a specific title in mind to check.

DYSTOPOIAN

message 30: by Vicki (new)

Vicki | 194 comments I'm reading city of dark magic by Magnus Flyte
Will the character Charlotte Yates give us "Y"?

message 31: by Mary C (last edited Jul 12, 2014 06:50AM) (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5279 comments I think so. I asked in the rules thread how prominent a character has to be to count.

I was thinking all the teams got the same word/shelf/genre each week but I guess not.

I can usually finish 2 or 3 books a week if real life doesn't interrupt. I have pulled off weeks of 5-7 before when I've been on a cozy or short romance phase. Obviously on some of the really long spell out weeks, we will not be able to get the whole thing done. I think Dystopian is doable though. I will ramp up my audiobook listening this week.

message 32: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5279 comments And remember you can use a book you already started according to the rules thread. You just have to finish it the week the spin it works for was called.

Danielle Book Boss (daniellebookboss) I can read for

Y - Blood Cross - Jane Yellowrock Character Name
I - Long Live the Queen - The Immortal Empire Series
A - Alexandra Long Live the Queen Character Name
D - Diana Rowland Blood of the Demon Author Name
O - Once Bitten Once Bitten Book Name

Danielle Book Boss (daniellebookboss) Also I don't read much dystopian since it seems to be dominated by YA which is a genre I can't stomach more than twice a year.

message 35: by Vicki (new)

Vicki | 194 comments I'll read Four - a divergent story collection for genre
Characters from City of dark magic
S - Sarah Weston
P- Petr
D,A,S - dr. Absalom sherbatsky
A- Alessandro
P - professor klyme
P-pollina
N, P - Nicolas pertusato
P, A - Pince Maximilian lobkowicz Anderson
D - Marchesa DeBenedetti
D- Daphne kooster
D, S- Douglas sexton
P - Bernard Plummer
S,O - shuziko Oshiro
Y - Charlotte yates

message 36: by Lesley (last edited Jul 12, 2014 07:23AM) (new)

Lesley (laparks) | 729 comments Here's what I can fit from the books I've got on deck to read:

S- Jill Shalvis Rescue My Heart
O- Cara Rosalie Olsen - Awakening Foster Kelly
A-After - Amy Efaw
N- Norma Jeanne Karlsson- Blackness Awaits

I'm not a big fan of Dystopian either - I think the only thing even close to dystopian that I've ever read was The Hunger Games, which was probably 2 or 3 years ago!

message 37: by ☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ (last edited Jul 12, 2014 07:28AM) (new)

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 7187 comments My currently reading The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken we can use it for D,A and I'm waiting to get The Year of the Flood Margaret Atwood we can use for Y and A, if we are allowed to drop the word "The" in the beginning and there both dystopian books.

message 38: by Vicki (new)

Vicki | 194 comments Need two or three "T"

message 39: by Lesley (new)

Lesley (laparks) | 729 comments For T - I can do Tully Lane in Firefly Lane - I was going to start reading that one today so I can get it back to the library before it's due on Tuesday!

Danielle Book Boss (daniellebookboss) Yeah the rules say we can drop THE, A, and AN if necessary

message 41: by Danielle Book Boss (last edited Jul 12, 2014 08:00AM) (new)

Danielle Book Boss (daniellebookboss) Oh and I am currently reading and not far into Darkness Dawns which can be D and I for Immortal Guardians series.

And S for Sarah main character

I'd like to claim letter I.

message 42: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5279 comments That's why I'm not a big Dystopian fan because it's mostly YA. A lot of it is also depressing.

So should we all claim letters now or how are we doing this?

message 43: by Alley (last edited Jul 12, 2014 08:47AM) (new)

Alley (alleycatfish) | 198 comments Only one of us needs to read a dystopian for the bonus, right?

I can do the S, P, A, or N. The N is from a dystopian I can finish if no one else wants to read one. I'm not particularly enjoying the book which is why I put it to the side a month ago.

I could probably find a book for all of the letters, so I'm ok with taking the last letter claimed.

message 44: by Michelle (last edited Jul 12, 2014 09:35AM) (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments We only need 1 dystopian for the bonus, so we should be covered.

I can cover DYSTPA. Maybe a couple of others when I look at characters.

The judges clarified and said we could use any character name, and also the series name for a letters as well. This opens up tons of possibilities since it's not limited to main characters. For example, I'm reading a mountain climbing book, and the names from climbers around the world in it would knock out any of the rarer letters. :)

message 45: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5279 comments Ok cool. So far just going by main characters and other info I'm loaded down with J's and H's which do us no good this week. But I could really come up with any of the letters needed even Y.

message 46: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments I'm creating our sheet now. I'll do a tab for the weekly reading by team member, then the front sheet will be the consolidated list to see how many times we can spell our genre.

Let me get more coffee in my brain and I'll update in a bit.

message 47: by Sarenna (last edited Jul 12, 2014 12:18PM) (new)

Sarenna (djsthree) | 73 comments So far I have My Enemy's Cradle by Sara Young, which could cover a Y. I'm also currently reading In the Woods, so that could cover I, along with America's Hidden History: Untold Tales of the First Pilgrims, Fighting Women, and Forgotten Founders Who Shaped a Nation which could cover A or D. Not sure I can do more than 3 or 4, but if there is a letter missing, I have no issue switching to a book that will cover what's needed.

**Edited: I forgot that I'm also reading The Idiot Girl and the Flaming Tantrum of Death: Reflections on Revenge, Germophobia, and Laser Hair Removal, which could be I or N.

message 48: by Michelle (last edited Jul 12, 2014 12:26PM) (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments Ok, I put together a spreadsheet for us. As you finish each book and add it to your wheelathon shelf, I will highlight it in yellow so we can easily see what has been completed and shelved for the week.

I based the projections on the number of books read per year and what you said you might read this week, so you might see your name more than once. I tried to add details so if we need to switch letters, it's easily adjusted. Based on the activity in the thread, we should be able to easily spell dystopian twice if everyone gets their books completed.

Still need to add books for Sarenna, Alley, and Hope. If you add the book links here I will fit them in for us.

message 49: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments I think the key to success will be to post and shelve as soon as you are done with each book so we can quickly gauge how close we are to completion for the word.

message 50: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments If I am understanding the rules correctly, we can start finishing our books at noon Sydney time. Since we are all US time zones, that means any books we mark as read between the following times will count for this week:

EDT (East Coast) Saturday, July 12 at 10:00pm - Saturday, July 19 at 10:00pm
CDT (Midwest) Saturday, July 12 at 9:00pm - Saturday, July 19 at 9:00pm
PDT (West Coast) Saturday, July 12 at 7:00pm - Saturday, July 19 at 7:00pm

Does that sound right to everyone?

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 15