College Students! discussion

books, books, and more books! > books into movies

Comments Showing 1-50 of 67 (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
Has anyone else noticed how many books are being turned into movies lately?? It's funny because everytime my boyfriend suggests a movie..I'm always like oh..that is based on a book and I need to read the book first! He laughs because he never realized how many movies are actually based on books. I guess someone who is a non-reader really wouldn't recognize titles of books the way we do.

Anyways..I found this list of upcoming books to movies and some recent ones that have already come out.

http://www.bookreporter.com/features/...

Which ones are you most excited about? Which ones have you seen?

I'm most excited about:

The Time Traveler's Wife
Coco Before Chanel
Julie and Julia

and I still really need to see My Sister's Keeper.

I saw Confessions of a Shopaholic and He's Just Not That Into You..but I doubt i'll ever read those books.

message 2: by Molly (new)

Molly (slinkyxo) | 153 comments I really want to see my Sister's Keeper and DEFINITELY The Time Traveler's Wife since that was our group read a little bit ago!

I also heard that they were turning Water for Elephants into a movie..but I didn't see it on that list.

message 3: by Lynn (new)

Lynn I'm hoping to see Julie and Julia really soon!! I want to read the book, but I'd be ok seeing the movie beforehand b/c it seems that it's only vaguely based on the book.

message 4: by Emily (new)

Emily  O (readingwhilefemale) | 487 comments Ugg, Time Traveller's Wife sucked. Save yourself the trouble and don't see it. If you haven't read the book, don't see it, because it had terrible acting and I almost fell asleep in the theater. If you have read the book, definitely don't see it because it destroys the book and it still sucks.

I do want to see Secret Life of Bees though. I am also thinking of seeing Julie and Julia.

message 5: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

nooo I had such high hopes for Time Traveler's Wife. so much so that I was going to drag my boyfriend to go see it. Guess I will steer clear!

message 6: by Emily (new)

Emily  O (readingwhilefemale) | 487 comments Both my boyfriend and I liked the book (I have a wonderful boyfriend) but we both thought the movie was really lame.

message 7: by Annie (new)

Annie Hartman (anniebananie) | 242 comments Emily: Im so jealous that you and your boy read together! So cute! I read while my boy plays XBox haha
And Im SUPER disappointed that the movie isnt worth seeing! I too was looking forward to it. But isnt that usually how it goes? Books are ALWAYS better than the movie (in my opinion, anyway!)

I heard that the DiVinci Code was a bomb but I love the book- I did watch Angels & Demons and read the book and I really thought the movie was awesome.

message 8: by Tami (last edited Aug 17, 2009 08:31AM) (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
I enjoyed the Time Traveler's Wife. Yes, some of the acting was subpar and they really didn't get Gomez at all. I thought they stuck true to the book much more than most book to movies do. I took my mom to see it and she hadn't read the book, and she enjoyed the movie too.

message 9: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Clausen There is a little known movie based on a Jumpa Lahiri book called The Namesake that is definately worth seeing.

message 10: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

I totally didn't know that the movie Whip it is based on a book. Whip It

Also I saw that I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell is going to be coming out as a movie in October. I've always seen that book sitting in Urban Outfitters and I've always wondered about it. Very interesting title and cover.

The Road is also going to come out as a movie in November.

message 11: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments Did anyone see "Where the Wild Things Are"?

message 12: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

I really wanted to..but I'm going to what until it comes out on DVD. I'm scared it's going to ruin the book for me.

message 13: by Katerina (new)

Katerina | 252 comments I didn't know that Whip it was based on a book either. I guess a ton of movies are these days.

message 14: by Heather (new)

Heather (andshewontsleep) | 278 comments I saw Where the Wild Things Are.. it was pretty good, but it was NOT a kids movie. It made my heart hurt.

message 15: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 58 comments I read The Road last year and 'enjoyed' it. That will probably make a great film.

message 16: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

It's definitely a book that is on my tbr list. I want to get to it before the movie comes out.

message 17: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 58 comments The Road can be read in a day or two.

message 18: by Janet (new)

Janet I agree Heather. Where the Wild Things Are is super depressing. It took me awhile to decide what I thought about it...and I came to the conclusion that I didn't like it. I'm sad I didn't because it's a wonderful book!

message 19: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments Has anyone seen the preview for "The Lovely Bones"? It looks really good! I'm thinking I may need to read the book...

message 20: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

I want to see it! I read the book a long time ago and will have to read it again.

message 21: by Heather (new)

Heather (andshewontsleep) | 278 comments I definitely want to see it.. the book is one of my favorites. I haven't read it in awhile but the preview seems a lot more supernatural than I remember the book being. I think it's about time for a reread.

message 22: by Matthew (new)

Matthew I should probably apologize to all Neil Gaiman fans for Stardust. I gave it to the guy who pitched it to Miramax.

message 23: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments Matthew wrote: "I should probably apologize to all Neil Gaiman fans for Stardust. I gave it to the guy who pitched it to Miramax."

No way! That's awesome! And actually I liked the movie better than the book. It's one of only two books that I liked the movie versions better than the book.

message 24: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

I'm so ready for The Lovely Bones to come out.

Also, did anyone see New Moon? I went with my younger sister and her friend. It was definitely much better than Twilight was.

And did anyone see that Shutter Island will be out as a movie in February? I wanted to read this book so I'll have to do so before then.

My boyfriend was mentioning how I make our movie watching difficult. I refuse to watch anything that I even remotely want to read & I always compare the book and the movie and get irritated when they do things in the movie that I didn't like. lol. :)

message 25: by Katerina (new)

Katerina | 252 comments I am excited for The Lovely Bones as well. I saw New Moon. I thought it was DEFINITELY much better than Twilight.

message 26: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments I saw New Moon with my Aunt over the weekend. I couldn't believe how much better it was than Twilight! My Aunt and I laughed, you know the part where Jacob pulls his shirt off to use as a bandage? We knew that was coming so we just listened and laughed out loud because there was an audible gasp from the women in the audience.

message 27: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Oh my gosh..the theater went NUTS when Jacob's shirt came off. Little girls screaming..literally screaming. It was funny because then in that one scene Edward takes his shirt off and he's got this scrawny, pale, old man looking body. lol

message 28: by Jen (new)

Jen (wishesandwanderlust) | 696 comments I want to see New Moon but I think I'll wait for it to be out of the theaters and at Redbox. I really don't want to sit in a room with a bunch of screaming little girls! haha

But I am also excited for The Lovely Bones! I think I need to reread it though, its been awhile.

message 29: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Haha yeah..I'd recommend renting it rather than going. We went at midnight and it was chaos..but sometimes it was funny.

message 30: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments Jen wrote: "I want to see New Moon but I think I'll wait for it to be out of the theaters and at Redbox. I really don't want to sit in a room with a bunch of screaming little girls! haha

But I am also exc..."

Jen, do you have any dollar theatres near you? We have a dollar theatre not too far from where I live. I love going to see the super popular movies there, by the time they reach the theatre the movie has been out for a little bit longer, and there are usually hardly any of the screaming fans.

message 31: by Jen (new)

Jen (wishesandwanderlust) | 696 comments Kimberly- There is one theater near me that has $1.99 movies, but they don't usually get the popular movies. Thanks for the tip though! I'll check the theater's website in a month or so to see if New Moon makes it there.

message 32: by Jen (new)

Jen (wishesandwanderlust) | 696 comments Water for Elephants is supposedly being turned into a movie with Reese Witherspoon as Marlena.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118...

message 33: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (counttess) Sorry but I don't think I will ever understand the obsession with Twilight =P... I went to see Lovely Bones though and I didn't really love it. I didn't love the book though either, so I guess I wasn't really surprised. Half the movie was something of an acid trip. But... I didn't love the book either so my opinion shouldn't stop you from going to see it =P. There aren't many movies out that weren't books to begin with.

message 34: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jen--I'm wondering how Water for Elephants will be. I enjoyed the book! I don't want them to ruin it for me. That's why I still haven't seen The Time Traveler's Wife. lol

message 35: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
Jamie, Time Traveler's Wife actually did a really good adaption of the book. I was suprised. There were so many ways for it to go wrong, but the book was better. :)

Does anyone know if they are planning on doing the whole Olympian series, or just The Lightening Theif?

message 36: by Denise (new)

Denise It's been a couple years since I read Water for Elephants, but I can't picture Reese Witherspoon as Marlena. Was there a large age difference between Jacob & Marlena in the book? She seems a bit old to be starring opposite Robert Pattinson (at least to me).

message 37: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
I can totally see Reese as Marlena. And I can't see Robert Pattinson playing any of the characters.

Where are you all seeing who is playing who?

message 38: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

I'm not sure I see either of them playing the part. I could more so see Reese play it than Robert playing Jacob though. She can be pretty versatile. I'm not sure who I actually see playing either part. I saw Marlena as more of an exotic looking woman. I guess maybe because I know a Marlena who is from Poland and she is gorgeous and exotic looking! lol

message 39: by Natanya (new)

Natanya (vraisemble) | 255 comments Ug, Robert Patisson will totally ruin that movie for me. I suppose I just have a bias against him (he bothers me for some reason...and I just think he's ugly), but I can't see that movie working out with him in it. I love Reese Whitherspoon, though I don't know if that would work either. And I agree with Denise that Reese is a bit old compared to Robert.

To go back a few movies and give my two cents, I didn't like The Time Traveler's Wife movie. I love the book, but I didn't think the guy who played Henry did very well, and I didn't like the whole fading thing when he time traveled. And I know it was relatively close to the book in comparison to other movies, but they cut out basically my favorite parts. My sister, however, did like it, and she loved the book as well.

message 40: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments So this is a fun website, you can make up your dream cast for a book.

http://storycasting.com/

The one for The Book Thief is pretty good!

message 41: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

That is awesome!!

message 42: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
Kayla, read the books. I wanted to be sure to read it before the movie came out and ended up reading all 5 in less than a week. Great books, and super excited for the movie.

message 43: by Tami (last edited Feb 09, 2010 12:48PM) (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
similar to Harry Potter in the fantasy and great characters. I don't know much about the gods and goddesses so that was fun for me too. It is younger writing and pretty fast reading, but greatly entertaining.

message 44: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Kayla wrote: "Sure its been mentioned, but I'm excited to see Lovely Bones in theaters. I loved the book, and was so excited when I heard that it was made into a film. I also want to see Percy Jackson and the O..."

I really enjoyed The Lovely Bones. I'm glad I read the book a while ago so that I wasn't picking out things that were different. I went with a friend that had just read it and she liked the movie too; although she kept picking out things that were different. lol

Amelia, free market Puritan (aeimaginer12) We just saw The Lightning Thief last night, and dutiful blogger that I am, I had to write a review:
http://leaveyoureyesbehind.blogspot.c...

message 46: by Tami (last edited Feb 15, 2010 07:40AM) (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
We watched Wolfman. My mother and brother are really into horror films, so that was the choice. It was better than I expected it to be, but they were both disappointed.

We are waiting for my brother to finish the book, then we can go see The Lightning Thief.

message 47: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
Last night, while watching Shutter Island, we saw previews for The Sorcerer's Apprentice, and an advertisement poster for Ramona and Beezus.

message 48: by Kelly A. (last edited Mar 19, 2010 04:17PM) (new)

Kelly A. | 499 comments Eat, Pray, Love has been made into a movie with Julia Roberts.
http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2840...
It actually looks pretty good.

message 49: by Jess (new)

Jess A Wrinkle in Time is going to be turning into a movie! Though I don't know if anything can surely capture Madeleine L'Engle's books.

message 50: by Jen (new)

Jen (wishesandwanderlust) | 696 comments Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close is going to be a movie: http://www.wordandfilm.com/2010/12/wi...

Also, Baz Luhrmann is directing a new movie version of The Great Gatsby: http://www.wordandfilm.com/2010/12/gr...

I'm actually really interested in seeing how both movies turn out.

« previous 1