Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > Format for literary awards field

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Greyweather (last edited Aug 09, 2009 04:24AM) (new)

Greyweather | 28 comments What format should I be using for literary awards? Does the year go first or last? Do I use the full name of the award or the shorthand version? What if there is more than one shorthand for the name?

As an example, one award could be written as any of the below:
2009 International Association for the Fantastic in the Arts William L. Crawford Fantasy Award
International Association for the Fantastic in the Arts William L. Crawford Fantasy Award (2009)
2009 IAFA William L. Crawford Fantasy Award
IAFA William L. Crawford Fantasy Award (2009)
2009 Crawford Fantasy Award
Crawford Fantasy Award (2009)
2009 Crawford Award
Crawford Award (2009)

I could not find anything in the manual or the other discussion topics about this.

Also, when a book has won multiple awards, is there a way to separate them with line breaks, or are we supposed to just use commas? Or something else?

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42044 comments Mod
The only one I know the answer to is that they are separated with commas.

I don't think a standard format for awards was ever determined. It probably should be!

message 3: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca | 593 comments I'd vote for "Crawford Fantasy Award (2009)" for being brief, but not too brief. But, like Rivka said, this hasn't really been discussed before.

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

I second that vote, for the same reasons.

This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For | 949 comments I would like to comment that I think only winners should be listed, not finalists and/or nominees (which I sometimes see listed). I think it's ok if a runner-up is given an official award (e.g., the CWA Silver Dagger), but listing nominees is just bloat.

Also, books do not receive Nobel prizes for literature. These are given to authors for lifetime achievement (in theory), not for specific books. Therefore one should not list the Nobel prize for a book (which I've occasionally stumbled across on GR).

Actually, what this discussion makes me think is that GoodReads should have an official "Awards" object, sort of like Listopia, but informational, not votable (voteable? how do you spell that?). You could explore "Awards", pick an award, get a description of the award, then a chronological list of winners with links to each winning book. Books attached to an Award would have the info auto-appear on the page (with a hot-link back to the award list), rather than having an editable Award field. One could also then list the full name of the award under it's official description, but also have an additional "list" name for how it appears on book pages. Thus the official award might be the "IAFA William L. Crawford Fantasy Prize" but it might show up as "Crawford Fantasy Award (xxxx)" on an individual book page.

I wouldn't make this a high priority, but it seems a reasonable and useful addition.

message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

^ Agreed entirely.

Meanwhile, perhaps some consensus on formats to be used until such time?