Climate Change, Environment and Ecology discussion

Is this group active?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Zuckerman (laurelzuckerman) | 1 comments [Here are a couple books I like:

book:The Omnivore's Dilemma|3109]

Pesticides, a French Scandal (in French)
http://www.pesticides-lelivre.com/

Any recommendations?

(I'm especially interested in the impact of pesticides)

Bests,

Laurel Zuckerman
http://www.laurelzuckerman.com/the_pr...

The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan

message 2: by Martin (new)

Martin Empson (resolutereader) | 1 comments Mod
I presume then, that you've read Rachel Carson's classic ecological work on the imapct of Pesticides, Silent Spring? Perhaps more useful today for the impact it had on the emerging ecological movement, though still important.

message 3: by Esmeralda (last edited Sep 09, 2009 10:21AM) (new)

Esmeralda Rupp-Spangle | 1 comments Though my suggestions are not directly about pesticides, you might nevertheless find them fascinating.
I cannot reccomend highly enough the book "With Speed and Violence: Why Scientists Fear Tipping Points in Climate Change" by Fred Pearce (who has also written some other climate change related books I have yet to read but which look excellent, and possibly more towards your area of interest)
I also thoroughly enjoyed "Under a Green Sky: Global Warming, the Mass Extinctions of the Past, and What They Can Tell Us About Our Future" by Peter Ward.
And of course "Six Degrees: Our Future on a Hotter Planet" by Mark Lynas.

Those are my three favorites- I hope if they're not what you're looking for, at least they can lead you in the direction of what you are seeking!

message 4: by Aron (new)

Aron I'll second Esmerelda's suggestion of Six Degrees by Mark Lynas. It doesn't have much of a focus on pesticides, but was extremely well done and has been one of my top recommendations ever since I finished it.

If you liked The Omnivore's Dilemma, chances are that you'll like Pollan's other books. In Defense of Food is sort of the more personal counterpart to that book, which was more societal. It was Pollan's response to the huge number of reader responses he got to The Omnivore's Dilemma asking, what now? If you're well read on that sort of thing, then the material is nothing new, though. His first book, Second Nature, is about his adventures in learning how to garden. I live in an apartment (i.e., no garden to speak of) and still really enjoyed it.