Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Dawn's July Reads

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1299 comments Lots of good reading this month

Shadow of Betrayal by Brett Battles - I was so excited to win an ARC of this book sinced by the author. His first two books scored 10's with me. This one took me a little longer to get into, just because I was a little confused in the beginning.

Finger Lickin Fifteen by Evanovich - didn't like as much as 13 and 14 but very glad to see so much of Ranger

Dark Places by Gillian Flynn - Engrossing story

Winter of the Wolf Moom by Steve Hamiliton

A Hard Ticket Home by David Housewright - thank you all for this recommendation. I'm liking McKenzie right from the start

Fuzzy Navel and Cherry Bomb by JA Konath - another great series

The Deep Blue Alibi by Paul Levine - part of the Solomon and Lord series

CrossRoads by Belva Plain - wasn't very impressed; maybe just too slow after so many face paced mysteries

China Trade by SJ Rozan - another new series for me recommended by this board

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14610 comments Dawn:
I like Brett Battles' The Cleaner but didn't know there was a new one out, thanks! I just took Dark Places A Novel back to the library unread today. I may get it again, I liked her book Sharp Objects A Novel, but was just not in the mood for this type of story this week.

Dawn wrote: "Lots of good reading this month
Shadow of Betrayal by Brett Battles - I was so excited to win an ARC of this book sinced by the author. His first two books scored 10's with me...
Dark Places by Gillian Flynn - Engrossing story "

message 3: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1215 comments >>CrossRoads by Belva Plain - wasn't very impressed; maybe just too slow after so many face paced mysteries <<

I did not realize Belva Plain was still alive (she is almost ninety) and had published recently. I read her first book Evergreen back when I was in junior high and really liked it (I reread it many times through my high school years). I also read Random Winds and thought it was a decent read but not as good as Evergreen.

message 4: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3626 comments You did have a good month! Hope you enjoyed the Steve Hamilton book. You've got several more good reads to go in that series!

message 5: by OMalleycat (new)

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Dawn listed: "China Trade by SJ Rozan - another new series for me recommended by this board "

Oh to be starting the Lydia and Bill for the first time. I ate them up one right after the other, Dawn. You have a lot to look forward to, as Rozan just gets better and better in this series.

Jan O'Cat

message 6: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments Sandi wrote: ">>CrossRoads by Belva Plain - wasn't very impressed; maybe just too slow after so many face paced mysteries <<

I did not realize Belva Plain was still alive (she is almost ninety) a..."

I also fondly remember reading Evergreen. I wonder how it would stand up for a re-read!?!

message 7: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1299 comments Ann, This was actually the 3rd in the series. Deceived comes after the Cleaner, and that was awesome as well.

Ann wrote: "Dawn:
I like Brett Battles' The Cleaner but didn't know there was a new one out, thanks! ."

message 8: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1299 comments I know I read Evergreen way back when as well. Maybe we'll have to do group reread to see if it was that good of a book, or if our tastes have changed!

message 9: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1299 comments I'm glad to see the endorsements for Hamiliton and Rozan. I'm really loving David Housewright's McKenzie series as well. I was worried when I got caught up on with all the Reacher, Bosch, Davenport and Bolitar books.

message 10: by OMalleycat (new)

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Dawn wrote: "I'm glad to see the endorsements for Hamiliton and Rozan. I'm really loving David Housewright's McKenzie series as well. I was worried when I got caught up on with all the Reacher, Bosch, Davenport and Bolitar books."

Trust me, Dawn, hang with this group and you'll NEVER be caught up with all the books you want to read!

Not that it's a bad thing. . .

Jan O'Cat

message 11: by Ann (last edited Aug 09, 2009 01:21PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14610 comments Dawn:
Ah, well once again my tendency to (quite happily) read out of order comes out! Thanks for the tip!
:)
Dawn wrote: "Ann, This was actually the 3rd in the series. Deceived comes after the Cleaner, and that was awesome as well.

Ann wrote: "Dawn:
I like Brett Battles' The Cleaner but didn't know ..."