Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Disambiguation: profile notes

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cait (last edited Aug 08, 2009 06:17PM) (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Just a reminder: if you disambiguate an author with spaces, please put a statement in the author's bio indicating this! The standard is:

Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name. See this thread for more information.

I try to put at least a simple bio statement in as well, with whatever information I used to differentiate between the authors in the first place (even if it's just something like "Jane Doe is an author of forensics textbooks" or "Jane Doe is a horror novelist").

Also, I put a librarian note (the "add a librarian note" option on the edit author page) indicating that this is a disambiguated author for the benefit of librarians like me who often jump right to the combine page without looking at the bio. I use notes like:

This is Jane^Doe, forensics textbooks.

message 2: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca | 593 comments Good reminder. Should all this go in the Librarian manual?

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2409 comments Cait and Rebecca, Good points. Yes, if that information is not already in the librarian manual, it would be an excellent addition.