Axis Mundi X discussion

Video Games

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I thought since Amy mentioned she likes video games I'd just start a new thread, because I'm sure there are others here too.

What consoles do you all have? What kind of games do you like?

The only PS gaming system I had was the first one. I have an XBox, and XBox 360, and a Wii. I play a LOT. Sometimes I feel like my first college boyfriend because all he and his friends ever did was play video games. But I like kiddie games. Most of the games I have are rated E or E+10. I don't like really bloody games (although I do have The Godfather) or hack & slash games. I like adventure games, where there are things to collect and tasks to complete, puzzles to figure out, and minigames. I like games from movies or other pop culture things. Some of my favorites are: Spyro: A Hero's Tail, Super Paper Mario, and Lego Star Wars because there is a ton of stuff to do in all of those games. I also like the third and the fourth Harry Potter games. I'm having trouble with the fifth one because I don't like the controls. I might sell it and get it for Wii instead of XBox.

I have Halo and Call of Duty but they're not really my cup of tea.

message 2: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony We have a Wii...my kids are nine, seven, and five, and they love it. Right now their favorite games are Madden08 and Lego Star Wars. I love Wii too...I think it's the most versatile platform. I'm slowly getting better at Lego Star Wars (thanks to my five year old's tutalage) and I'm not bad at some of the sports games. My kids are gamers, I guess, but don't slam my parenting, please...we actually play together or they play together...I know this will sound trite, but they learned how to cooperate a lot through video games. They also get pissed off at each other sometimes, I admit...but they'd do that with just about anything.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I have Lego Star Wars on the Xbox. I wonder what it's like on the Wii.

I don't think letting kids play video games once in a while is "bad parenting." As with anything, there should be balance. My nephews play video games but they also read, play outdoor sports, and get good grades.

message 4: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony I agree, Sarah...my kids play sports, read a lot, and get good grades...but they also play a hell of a lot of video games, esp. in the winter in Wisconsin. However, they do play other things...with action figures, chess, etc...I think I'm letting the anti-video game media freak me out.

message 5: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) I have a PS2 and play mostly RPGs (sorry King), though I love the XMen games as well. My brother and I play them together. I'm also a huge fan of the Prince of Persia games. Two was a little lame, but one and three were great. God of War is also really good. Champions of Norath was the shit by the way King!

I go in waves, and I haven't been in a video game phase for a while, so I haven't touched it in months. I last played FFXII for about two weeks straight, every waking moment, I did nothing else apart from work, eat and sleep! Then, I just got bored and stopped. Anyone else a FF fan?

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 04, 2008 04:45PM) (new)

my experience with video games came about 15 years ago when i threw the bleepin nintendo into the snowbank the 50th time my two oldest fought about whose turn it was

my grandkids don't have a machine-thank god
but some of their friends do
especially the pasty faced ones who when they do come out of their houses play shooting games with their nerf guns that i have to break up before (or after) they target the neighbors car as he's pulling in

but it's military housing-most of the moms and dads are ok with the small weapons practice

i just have to say it-i have no idea how my kid ended up in the military! there had to be some sort of baby swap in the hospital, either that or the years of granola yogurt tofu and pumpkin cookies on halloween turned her
all you liberal parents out there-don't count on it

message 7: by Rindis (last edited Mar 05, 2008 12:08PM) (new)

Rindis Amy, FF fan here! CRPGs aren't my favorite form of game, but FF is among the best of show. Though I usually end up just watching as my roommate goes through the plot. ^_^

Favorite console game of all time: Final Fantasy Tactics

We have a PS2 (some friends gave us FFX - and the PS2 to play it on!).

Normally, I'm working with a couple various computer games at any one time, but WoW has put an end to that. Our friends are pretty much all in a guild, and it's a nice way to talk and enjoy some camaraderie even with separate schedules and long distance.

I also still push around cardboard counters on a hex map (wargames), and every week I play one of those... online, thanks to Vassal, a program designed to let people play board games remotely. ^_^

message 8: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Remember Coleco Vision? Love me some Smurfs and Ladybug (the rip off of Pac-man).

Had a Super Nintendo. Ex used to play Sim City for days at a time...as in the tv would be blocked from any other use while his city would "grow". Seriously, it was like watching paint dry.

Currently have a PS2. My favorite series is Final Fantasy. My favorite has to be VIII. Just like the story although I prefer the graphics and gaming ability in the newer ones now.

Husband has a PSP. Kid has my Gameboy Advance. I concur with Sarah in that it's not bad parenting to allow your kids to play video games. It's when they lose interest in all other forms of play that it becomes an issue. I think people who are wildly against it simply don't have a very good understanding of computers.

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Meghan, can the kid, at 15 months old, play Gameboy? I was actually thinking about getting one of those Leap Frog things for her but if she's onto Gameboy then Leap Frog might be kinda lame.

message 10: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) No, Sarah, stick with the leap frog for the 15 mo. old. My seven year old nephew got a Nintendo DS (I have one of those as well by the way) a couple of years ago for Christmas, and at 5, he was a little too young.

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) That's what I was thinking, Amy, but Meghan said she's got the Gameboy so that kinda threw me. Heh.

But her godmommy needs to get her something nice for Easter!

message 12: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Isn't it fun! I love spoiling my niece and nephew and then giving them back! :)

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Yeah! Unfortunately my goddaughter lives far away. :( But she recognizes my picture on her mommy's computer and tries to kiss it. She is pretty much the cutest thing ever.

message 14: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Okay, sorry about the 8 million posts! fix it.

Sarah - Sorry...wrong kid. Logan has the GB. We're getting him the Wii I think for his birthday.

Jade (the 15 month old) only has an Elmo "ipod" and a couple of "cell phones". She doesn't even watch tv except for when Alton Brown is on (and Dance Wars).

message 15: by Sarah (last edited Mar 06, 2008 10:56AM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) OOOOHHHH. Well that makes total sense. Wouldn't you know my mind would automatically go to the kid who's my godkid? Heh. Sorry Logan!

The Wii is soooo fun. I think we already talked about how fun it'll be to bowl and stuff with him. Around these parts the Wii was sold out though so we had to go on a waitlist for it, and that was only about 6 months ago. You might want to check availability.

I think they make a leap frog for 18 month-olds but maybe I'll wait till she's 2 and give her something else for Easter.

message 16: by Meghan (new)

Meghan There's a Dora the Explorer book and "cd player" that's really cool. It's at B&N. heh (I was actually thinking of getting that for her for Easter...she loves the Elmo one.)

And yeah, I'd hold off on the Leapfrog. She still just loves to sit and flip the pages of her books. I don't want her to lose that yet.

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I just ordered something. It's not leap frog and it's not Dora the Explorer. So if you want to give it to her you can. I think she'll like what I ordered!

And now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

message 18: by Sarah (new)

message 19: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Donna, all things in excess can be bad for you. Like when they fed 50lbs of fake sweetener to rats, and nothing else....they develope cancer. Shocker!

Sure kids should play outside and read books...and watch movies and play video games and board games and go to the zoo and have conversations and eat dirt once in a while to build up some immunities! It's all a balance, and it's up to the parents to create that balance.

I'm a grown up, so I can play video games non-stop for 12 hrs while sucking on a bottle of Hershey's Chocolate Syrup, wiping my mouth on my sleeve and yodelling swear words! :)