Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > Fahrenheit 451 Adaptation

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy (new)

Joy (aughadan) | 25 comments I seem to remember seeing some discussion about this sort of thing (in general, not this particular book), but I'm not sure if there's been any kind of consensus.

The new graphic novel adaptation of Fahrenheit 451 by Tim Hamilton is currently combined with the original novel. My first instinct is that they should be separate, but I'm not really sure. Thoughts?

Couple of NPR stories about the adaptation for background:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/st...
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/st...

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2397 comments They should be separated.

message 3: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca | 590 comments Novels shouldn't be combined with graphic novel adaptations.

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2397 comments Oh, and after separating, a librarians note should be made so that someone else doesn't combine them again.

message 5: by Joy (last edited Aug 08, 2009 04:18PM) (new)

Joy (aughadan) | 25 comments Thanks! I separated and recombined the two versions (hardcover and paperback). I'll add a note in a moment, but first, one more question: what about the author order? It's Bradbury, Hamilton right now.

message 6: by Lisa (last edited Aug 08, 2009 04:21PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2397 comments I'm not sure so wait for other librarians, but I think the order should be the other way around. That would also help stop the graphic edition from being recombined. Also, I think it's what we've done for other works such as this.

Edit: Thanks Aughadan for finding and fixing this.

message 7: by Joy (new)

Joy (aughadan) | 25 comments That's what I was thinking. Just noticed that the author's version of Treasure Island has the same problem. I'll get that after I've finished this one.

message 8: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 35286 comments Mod
Yes, adaptations should have the adapting author as primary, to prevent both confusion and combining.

message 9: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca | 590 comments Just wanted to note, I know at least one graphic novel where the original author adapted the novel to graphic novel format. The secondary "author" is just the illustrator. In that case, I believe that the author of the novel should be the top author listed on the graphic novel.

message 10: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2397 comments Rebecca, I agree with you. That's an unusual case though, although possibly not unique.

message 11: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 35286 comments Mod
I agree as well, and it may or may not be unique, now that I think about it.