Building a SciFi/Fantasy Library discussion

Gary Gygax

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I wanted to post something about this, but I wasn't sure where to put it. I hope this forum is appropriate...

Gary Gygax, one of the co-creators of the Dungeons & Dragons game, the 'father' of role-playing games, and author of a number of novels and short stories, has passed away today. He was 69 years old.

I know there are plenty of sci-fi and fantasy fans that could give a hoot about RPG's, but for many fans, myself included, games like D&D helped introduce me to the works of Tolkien, Howard, Lovecraft, Lieber, and so many others.

It might seem a bit odd to mourn the loss of a person I've never met, but his inventions and his writing brought so much joy to my life.

message 3: by Travis (last edited Mar 07, 2008 10:04PM) (new)

Travis | 6 comments This is sad news :(

I'm an avid rpg fan. I started playing 'rogue' as a kid and moved to MUDs and eventually to the graphic rpg's of the last 15 years. (I was never around people that enjoyed P&P so I played video games that were obviously based on the basics of D&D.)

This has been a bad year for me losing 2 of my favorite authors (Gemmell and Jordan) and now the cofounder of a genre that has been my #1 hobby since I was 6 years old.