Brain Rules for Aging Well: 10 Principles for Staying Vital, Happy, and Sharp
This topic is about Brain Rules for Aging Well
2017 > BS 137 and BS 138

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ginger (new)

Ginger Campbell (gingercampbell) | 321 comments Mod
The two most recent episodes of Brain Science were:

BS 137, which featured researcher Seth Grant describing his discovery of what he calls the genetic calendar for brain development

and

BS 138 in which author John Medina talks about his new book Brain Rules for Aging Well: 10 Principles for Staying Vital, Happy, and Sharp.

Listen to BS 137

Listen to BS 138

message 2: by Pezet, (new)

Pezet, Poland_Strong | 1 comments Hi, I recently started to listen to your podcast and I love it. I don't have premium yet but I will get it because it feels stupid not to pay for such a great content.

Regarding BSP 138 - you mentioned the author's work is sometimes being described by other scientists as bogus/not serious/not scientific etc. As an engineer I have to say that it kind of makes sense, since he uses term "energy" a lot. I think he emphasized on electrical 'energy' in our brains a lot and in my opinion it does not make too much sense. Aren't electical signals in brain about transferring information only ( or almost exclusively)? I have never read anything regarding energy (watts) in brain, there are only signals and voltages.
So yeah, I would drop the term "energy" because it sounds mystical and if you look at it from the scientific perspective energy does not seem to be doing too much (but maybe i'm wrong and energy of signals is essential to our brains, I just never heard anybody talking about currents). Oh yeah and there is also energy in every chemical reaction taking place in our brain but the author seemed to be talking only about electricity, which further undermines scientific flavour of the subject.