Unapologetic Romance Readers discussion

The Duchess Deal (Girl Meets Duke, #1)
This topic is about The Duchess Deal
Past BR Archives > Dare, Tessa // The Duchess Deal

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Heather *Awkward Queen and Unicorn Twin* (heather_crews) | 1432 comments Mod
Discuss here!

A (Is For Awkward) (AIsForAwkward) | 636 comments Read it when it came out. Enjoyed it? Somewhat anyway. I have trouble with damaged/scarred/beast books where the hero is this dumb about the impact of his appearance. I get people who are insecure, but he goes way beyond that to being confrontational about it, like he has to prove to the world he really is that ugly.

message 3: by Becky (new)

Becky (RGile) | 10 comments I️ was surprised by how much I️ laughed. Since this was my first Tessa Dare book, I have to ask: are all of her books funny?

A (Is For Awkward) (AIsForAwkward) | 636 comments Yes actually, a lot of her books are. You should try her Spinster Cove series.

message 5: by Lorien (last edited Nov 07, 2017 04:36PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lorien | 37 comments Becky wrote: "I️ was surprised by how much I️ laughed. Since this was my first Tessa Dare book, I have to ask: are all of her books funny?"
I haven't all of her books (yet), but so far I think The Duchess Deal was the funniest. Although one scene from from Do You Want to Start a Scandal had me laughing so hard I cried a little.

message 6: by Renae (last edited Nov 07, 2017 05:10PM) (new) - added it

Renae (romanticparvenu) | 62 comments Yes! Her humor is the best. I haven't read The Duchess Deal yet, but my favorite funny Tessa Dare quote comes from Any Duchess Will Do:

“A duchess might contemplate all manner of cutting remarks and frustrated oaths. But even in the face of extreme annoyance, she stifles any such ejaculations.”

“My,” Miss Simms said, wide-eyed. “I do hope dukes aren’t held to the same standard. Can’t be healthy for a man, always stifling his ejaculations.”

I laughed SO HARD.

message 7: by Gena (new)

Gena | 82 comments I've had hit and miss with Tessa's books. I find I get exasperated with her heroines and wish they had a bit more backbone. Emma's (The Duchess Deal) one of the ones I enjoyed.

ᴍɪᴄs ✖amante de los spoilers✖ (micsmarshall) | 104 comments I loved "a week to be wicked", I was thinking about 're reading it

ᴍɪᴄs ✖amante de los spoilers✖ (micsmarshall) | 104 comments Thanks, Dad. This book’s for you.
Please don’t read chapters 7, 9, 11, 17, 19, 21, or 28

OMG I'm laughing and this is only the dedication 😂😂

Nenia ⭐ Literary Garbage Can ⭐ Campbell (neniacampbell) | 3062 comments Mod
My library bought this immediately after I recc'd it. So excited! I should have it in a week or two I think!

Lexxi Kitty (LexxiKitty) | 338 comments Started this one this morning.

Acting in an overabundane of caution, I use spoiler tags, even though I mention the beginning - Liked the opening - (view spoiler)

There are bits here and there that make me giggle. Unfortunately I forgot I could highlight stuff on my Kindle, so I've only highlighted one thing so far.

(view spoiler)

re: cover - going by the last three historical romances I've read (I think the last three), I knew this one had to include a scarred up man. Because: 1) cover: man completely covered - man in book spents a vast majority of his time losing his shirt; 2) cover: man bare chested - man spends majority of his time in book attempting to hide his scars; 3) cover: this book - unlike in 2, here we only see one side - and it is remarked he is only scarred on one side.

Chelsea (renphoenix) | 283 comments I put myself on the waitlist for it, but the list is pretty lengthy so I'm not sure it'll come through this month. Might be a good plane read if it hits closer to early/mid December for my travels!

message 13: by Sarah, OTP Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah (SarahJF1984) | 1147 comments Mod
I put a hold on it, I'm second in line on three copies, so hopefully it won't take the whole month for it to become available.

message 14: by Maraya21, Strong Female Protagonist (new) - rated it 4 stars

Maraya21 (The Reading Dragon) | 501 comments Mod
1) This is my first book group read with you guys! Super excited (^_^)

2) I started this 2 hours ago (3 if you count lunch & coffee making/eating and I'm enjoying this so far! ~20% in

3) It makes me laugh insanely! 😂

4) Loved the dedication as well! (Someone else mentioned same feelings about it above)

5) This is my first Regency / Era Book. Regency is not something I've read at all, though I always wanted to - have several in my tbr I think - so this was a perfect opportunity.
I have to confess though that the writing is not what I've pictured. Which might be good since its not "heavy". Still something doesnt sit quite right with it.. :/

Can't wait to see how it unfolds :D

Lorien | 37 comments If anyone would find it easier, the audio version is exceptionally well narrated and just as funny.

@Maraya, I used to strictly read HR book and Dare's definitely seem "lighter" to me too, they are also a little more modern in their humor. Which I enjoy depending on my mood.

A (Is For Awkward) (AIsForAwkward) | 636 comments Yeah I would agree Dare is definitely Romance Light. She has whirlwind romances, usually insta-lust, lots of humour, and very little in the way of serious depth. And her settings/plots tend to be so ridiculous I just can't take them seriously.

But that said, I have come to think Regency in general has more authors like this than a lot of genres. Regency was so much about the social facades, the balls, and the gossip, it is really no surprise. Heyer was mostly Romantic Farce, and I think that set the tone for the genre in general.

message 17: by Renae (last edited Nov 10, 2017 10:05AM) (new) - added it

Renae (romanticparvenu) | 62 comments I agree. The currently popular Regency authors, i.e. Tessa Dare, Sarah MacLean, and even Julia Quinn rely a lot of humor and breezy romances. The darker and/or more serious romances tend to happen in different time periods.

message 18: by Maraya21, Strong Female Protagonist (new) - rated it 4 stars

Insta-lust doesn't bother me in Regency books considering how "compact" and unyelding the behaviour and social norm was back then. But there is insta-lust and then there is ridiculousness! Like with everything i suppose.

It is not the romance part that i was worried about but the actual writing or more accurately the dialog. I always pictured the books with that content/theme to have heavy, stiff dialogs and narration like the era itself.

I am positive that charm, wit and humour could show through the era writing but i was dreading the idea that the particular part would be a small percentage or not existance in favour of other things. That's always been my fear about Regency books.

Now this one is light on that aspect, maybe a little too much so. But im flying through it tbh! It reads more like a turn of a centure than a regency if my terms are correct.. I really, really like it so far! :D

message 19: by Lorien (last edited Nov 10, 2017 12:47PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lorien | 37 comments Maraya21 wrote: "Insta-lust doesn't bother me in Regency books considering how "compact" and unyelding the behaviour and social norm was back then. But there is insta-lust and then there is ridiculousness! Like wit..."

I think 90% of modern regency books do this with their dialog (make it feel more modern / less stiff and heavy) in varying degrees, Dare probably more so than others. And I kind of feel writers need to do this to appeal to modern readers, and make them easier to consume? So I defiantly encourage you to explore some more HR after this.

message 20: by Maraya21, Strong Female Protagonist (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lorien wrote: "I think 90% of modern regency books do this with their dialog (make it feel more modern / less stiff and heavy) in varying degrees, Dare probably more so than others. And I kind of feel writers..."

That works for me then :D Will definetely do! Any & all suggestions are welcome btw (^_^)

Lexxi Kitty (LexxiKitty) | 338 comments So, I completed the book. I liked it. Gave it 5 stars. Quite humorous.

I love breezy romances but I definitely wouldn't turn my nose up at darker regencies. I wish there were more variance.

BTW, you guys are making me so psyched to read this!

HURRY UP, LIBRARY!

message 23: by Maraya21, Strong Female Protagonist (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nenia *The Flagrant Liberal* wrote: "I love breezy romances but I definitely wouldn't turn my nose up at darker regencies. I wish there were more variance.

BTW, you guys are making me so psyched to read this!

HURRY UP, LIBRARY!"

Based on my observations so far Nenia, you wouldn't turn your nose up (first i hear of this phrase btw) for anything remotely romancy! Lol :P

Bookwise: Almost done with it (@ ~75%) and i have to say i love it so far, its hilarious. Though i cant see what the rest of it is. It could honestly wrap up on 80% ..
Hopefully i'll finish it today! (^_^)

message 24: by Maraya21, Strong Female Protagonist (new) - rated it 4 stars

Just finished the book! Gave it a 4 cause it was hilarious! Now to write my review! (Dear Goddess I have 30 -31 now- reviews to write)

Lorien | 37 comments Maraya21 wrote: "Just finished the book! Gave it a 4 cause it was hilarious! Now to write my review! (Dear Goddess I have 30 -31 now- reviews to write)"

Wow, I usually have to write mine within a few days of finishing so my rant is fresh. :)

message 26: by Maraya21, Strong Female Protagonist (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lorien wrote: "Wow, I usually have to write mine within a few days of finishing so my rant is fresh. :)"

That is what sane people do, what smart people do. As you can deducted by that number I am neither (^_^")

Lorien | 37 comments Meh, sanity is overrated...

message 28: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim Just finished this last night. It was fun and witty. I really enjoyed the interactions between all the characters, not just Emma and Ash. Gave this one a 4-star just because it was such a fun read and kept me entertained throughout the story.

I know this was last month's book, but I finally got my copy from the library, so I'm sneaking in here all tardy-like to participate. ;-)

message 30: by Maraya21, Strong Female Protagonist (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nenia ✨️ The Flagrant Liberal ✨️ wrote: "I know this was last month's book, but I finally got my copy from the library, so I'm sneaking in here all tardy-like to participate. ;-)"

You ain't tardy, you are fashionably late so there :3
I think you gonna like this a lot! Enjoy! (^_^)

message 31: by Sarah, OTP Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yeah, I only picked mine up last week as well. I should finally be starting this sometime this week.

I FINALLY finished this book - and it's really cute! I don't normally like fluffy books at all but this made me smile, and even laugh twice!

The secondary characters were probably my favorites. Especially the animal sidekicks.

message 33: by Sarah, OTP Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ooh, animal sidekicks?! I love animal sidekicks!! I forgot my plans of less than 24 hours ago to start this next and accidentally started Bite Me, Your Grace this morning - _ -

Sarah wrote: "Ooh, animal sidekicks?! I love animal sidekicks!! I forgot my plans of less than 24 hours ago to start this next and accidentally started Bite Me, Your Grace this morning - _ -"

LOL!!! Sarah you are a book magpie (just like me). <3

Yeah, animal sidekicks! And Tessa Dare assured me that the goat will probably make a reappearance in later books. #YAAASS

A (Is For Awkward) (AIsForAwkward) | 636 comments With tessa dare there was always bound to be a goat eventually.

This is true

message 37: by Sarah, OTP Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nenia ✨ Queen of Literary Trash, Protector of Out-of-Print Gems, Khaleesi of Bodice Rippers, Mother of Smut, the Unrepentant, Breaker of Convention ✨ wrote: "LOL!!! Sarah you are a book magpie (just like me). <3"

Never fear, I read it this morning. This was a fantastic read with lots of full-on cackling that had my mum asking me repeatedly what was so funny.

Aww, that's great! :D

message 39: by Sarah, OTP Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nenia ✨ Queen of Literary Trash, Protector of Out-of-Print Gems, Khaleesi of Bodice Rippers, Mother of Smut, the Unrepentant, Breaker of Convention ✨ wrote: "Aww, that's great! :D"

Yeah, I really enjoyed it. It was a good pick for BotM.

Chelsea (renphoenix) | 283 comments JUST got this from the library since I was number sixty-something on the holds list when we picked it for the boo of the month! I'm really enjoying it so far, it's very cute and it has the sort of banter that I like.

That's so awesome Chelsea! I look forward to seeing your updates. :D