The Next Best Book Club discussion

Non-Book Related Banter > Louisville Libraries

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (last edited Aug 10, 2009 06:44PM) (new)

Amanda (amandaroby) Has anyone out there heard about the trouble the Louisville Free Public Library is having? We had a weird storm front come through last week, dumping 8 inches of rain in the morning. Downtown was flooded, most notably the basement of the Main Branch of the LFPL.

The damage is up to $5 million dollars. The computer system at all the libraries is down, so check-outs and check-ins are being recorded in Word documents. The catalog is down. The website is down. It's just crazy.

Pictures can be found here: http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/p...

They're saying the main branch won't open until at least Labor Day.

I went to the main local branch today. Let me tell you, it was weird. I couldn't use the catalog. I couldn't search for books online. I couldn't even ask the librarian for help, because she couldn't access her computer, either. Even the little click at the door, counting you as you enter or leave, was gone.

Amanda R. in Louisville

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Amanda,

Oh, My sympathies! I would really struggle if that happened to my library.

It sounds as though you can still borrow books, though. Is that so? I hope so.

message 3: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10021 comments Mod
Ooohhh... all those poor poor books!

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandaroby) Lisa wrote: "Amanda,

Oh, My sympathies! I would really struggle if that happened to my library.

It sounds as though you can still borrow books, though. Is that so? I hope so.

Sorry to be slow in responding. Yes, we can still borrow books. They give us an old-fashioned check out slip, and scan the books into a text document, rather than into the main library system. It's a sad day.

Amanda R. in Louisville

"