Tournament of Books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2008 Predictions > Final Four and Champion

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (stacylienemann) Now that the brackets have been set up, let us know your picks.

message 2: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (stacylienemann) Please keep in mind that I have read only two of the books (and hope to read more by the end of the tourney). With the information (mostly reviews and awards notices) I have now, my predictions are:

Final Four:
Tree of Smoke
You Don't Love Me Yet
Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao
Arsonist's Guide

Tourney Champion:

message 3: by Jennifer (last edited Mar 06, 2008 02:51PM) (new)

Jennifer | 31 comments I have a request in at the library for Oscar Wao, but don't think I'll get it before the tournament is over.
The only book I've read in the Tournament is "Run" by Ann Patchett, but I'll be surprised if it gets very far because I was a little disappointed in it-not the follow up to "Bel Canto" that I expected.

Final Four:
Then We came to the End
On Chesil Beach
Tree of Smoke

Champion: Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao

message 4: by Scott (new)

Scott | 50 comments I have read two (On Chesil Beach and Arsonist's Guide) and currently reading one (Brief Wondrous Life).

My final four picks don't really take into account the Reader's Pick thrown in near the end of the tournament.

Final Four:
Savage Detectives
Then We Came to the End
On Chesil Beach

Champion:
Savage Detectives
(I may eat my words because Brief Wondrous Life is really good so far)

message 5: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 17 comments My final four:
The Savage Detectives
Then We Came to the End
Tree of Smoke

Champion: The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao

message 6: by Asarahm (new)

Asarahm | 4 comments I was looking through the whole list today on goodreads, and was amused by looking at the ratings. Here's what the masses on this-here website think:

Tree of Smoke (3.86 stars)
Oscar Wao (4.09 stars)
Savage Detectives (4.11 stars)
Shining at the Bottom of the Sea (4.13 stars)

Any thoughts?

message 7: by Johanna (new)

Johanna | 25 comments So it looks like the final four is (the zombie books are mentioned in the judges commentary on today's match-up):

Then We Came to the End
Remainder
(zombie)
Savage Detectives (zombie)

Above, Scott and Maggie got three out of four, which is pretty impressive, considering that Remainder was a dark horse. I think if you got 3/4 in a regular March Madness pool, you would have won some money.

Even with the tough competition from Bolano in the zombie round, I think Diaz's Oscar Wao is taking the Rooster this year.

message 8: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 31 comments wouldn't the final four be considered:
Tree of Smoke
Then We came to the End
The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao
and The Shadow Catcher?

message 9: by Scott (new)

Scott | 50 comments The actual final four isn't very clear. If we go by the semifinals like a normal tournament then I'm not sure the Zombie round counts as a final four. Then again this clearly isn't a normal tournament.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.