Recipes Galore discussion

Casseroles > Sausage not-quite-a-Casserole

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (last edited Aug 08, 2009 10:53AM) (new)

Sarah | 9 comments This is my best friend's family recipe. It's so easy, inexpensive, versatile and delicious that it has become my go-to dinner when I don't have the ingredients or energy for anything else. It's also very basic, so consider it a starting point and throw in whatever else you like. Don't worry about measurements; it always comes out perfect!

Line a 9" x 13" casserole dish with aluminum foil, leaving enough extra on both sides that you can fold it over and close it up on top after you've added your ingredients.

Place your favorite kind of sausages around the edge of the dish (6-12, depending on how many people you're feeding). I like to use spicy Italian, or some of the more interesting flavors they have at Whole Foods, like basil & pine nut.

In the center of your ring of sausages, place bite-sized chopped potatoes (even just halved or quartered, if they're small red, gold or fingerling) on one half and green beans on the other side. Slice an onion into wedges and sprinkle them over the top. Mince a couple of cloves of garlic and sprinkle those over the top. Get creative here; you can pretty much throw any veggies in that you want. Tonight, I'm adding the baby purple carrots from my CSA box!

Add whatever seasoning you'd like. Salt & pepper, of course, and that would be good enough. But, if you have it, rosemary, thyme, sage, a little paprika, a little splash of white wine or beer, some Worcestershire and/or hot sauce will all add more depth of flavor.

Hit the whole thing with a splash of EVOO, and put a couple of small pats of butter here & there, 1-2 tablespoons or so.

Fold your foil back over the top, seal it up, and put it in a 350 oven for 1 - 1 1/2 hours. I usually just get it started and then cook it until we're hungry and can't resist the smell any more! If you're on a budget, use less sausage and slice it thin on the bias before you serve - that stretches the meat a little.

Enjoy!

message 2: by Ali (new)

Ali | 130 comments Mod

This sounds really good, Sarah and for a really big filling breakfast as well!

message 3: by Petra (new)

Petra Yum! This would make a great make-ahead Brunch dish, too.