Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Curse of the Mistwraith (Wars of Light and Shadow, #1)
This topic is about The Curse of the Mistwraith
Wurts - Wars of L&S & More > Curse of the Mistwraith {March 2018}

Comments Showing 1-50 of 297 (297 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (last edited Oct 25, 2017 05:44AM) (new) - added it

Margret | 3170 comments Mod
March 15th

message 2: by Maciel (new) - added it

Maciel | 39 comments Yes!!!!! I'm soooo excited to start this buddy read next year!!!

Frank | 703 comments Wow, we are actually going to do this one.
Wanted to get into this series for so long!!!

Emma (keeperofthearchives) I was just thinking about doing a reread of this series, i'm in!

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 1338 comments I might pick this one up. I have never heard of it. That's why I love my friends and my groups 😊

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments I've never heard about it either till last year Mel but it seems great. :) Huge too - Malazan type I think. :D
But I'm glad Maciel suggested it. I'm in.

Chris  (haughtc) | 1760 comments Emma wrote: "I was just thinking about doing a reread of this series, i'm in!"

I was thinking of it too. I read the first three several years ago and need a serious refresher to move on. She just had a new one come out recently.

If y'all are interested, I could ask Janny if she would join in a Q/A with us here.

message 9: by Veronica (new) - added it

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3613 comments I picked up some of these books at a library sale a couple of years ago. If I can find them I'll join in on this.

message 10: by Maciel (last edited Dec 14, 2017 07:16PM) (new) - added it

Maciel | 39 comments Chris wrote: "If y'all are interested, I could ask Janny if she would join in a Q/A with us here."

That would be UTTERLY amazing!!!!!!

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Are we interested? He's asking!!!

Why of course we are Chris! That would be fantastic!

Frank | 703 comments Chris wrote: "Emma wrote: "I was just thinking about doing a reread of this series, i'm in!"

I was thinking of it too. I read the first three several years ago and need a serious refresher to move on. She just ..."

Love to have Janny Wurts in the Q&A

Graeme Rodaughan I have the paperback in my personal library.

Solseit | 1460 comments I am mostly curious about this series - I will put it in the maybe category but I will eagerly follow the comments to see the overall reception!

Chris  (haughtc) | 1760 comments Sorry for the delay, y'all. I did hear back from Janny and she's interested in joining in.

She actually gets the credit for reaching out because she saw the topic and contacted me before I asked her :)

Frank | 703 comments That's great, looking forward to it.
This is one of those series that has always intrigued me by the reviews, but I have always been sidetracked starting it, as it is quite long, but broken into arcs, I assume to give closure to various story lines.

Olivia (vinjii) | 1080 comments I'm definitely in! Got it ready on my Kindle!

Mayim de Vries | 2938 comments I'm considering it.

Chris  (haughtc) | 1760 comments This article was posted on tor.com today, and gives a great introduction to Janny's writing: https://www.tor.com/2018/01/26/an-app...

I concur, 100% with the author's opinions, btw. He said it so much better than I could.

message 20: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7505 comments Mod
That is so cool! What a gracious author. I love her daughter of the empire books with Feist.

Should I set up a separate Q&A thread in this folder?

Chris  (haughtc) | 1760 comments That would work. Thanks, Niki.

message 22: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7505 comments Mod
cool :)

message 23: by Veronica (last edited Jan 31, 2018 07:08AM) (new) - added it

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3613 comments Chris wrote: "Sorry for the delay, y'all. I did hear back from Janny and she's interested in joining in.

She actually gets the credit for reaching out because she saw the topic and contacted me before I asked h..."

That's so awesome!

P.S. I found my books so I'll be joining in for sure.

Chris  (haughtc) | 1760 comments Great to hear, Veronica

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments She seems to be a really great lady! I'm very happy she agreed to talk to us.
And I also wanted to ask when we'll be doing the Q&A. After we finish the first book?

Chris  (haughtc) | 1760 comments I'll check with her, Laura

message 27: by Neil (new) - rated it 5 stars

Neil Wilson | 1 comments Hi - I am a big big fan of War of Light and Shadows...I have been re-reading a little bit of CoTM this week ;-) Janny over the years has been very involved on her web site forums re: answering questions about the books so a very interesting experience to have read these books as they came out...and see the author regularly discuss them online.

message 28: by Maciel (new) - added it

Maciel | 39 comments I'll be starting to the first tomorrow!
So excited!!!!

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments I'll start on the 15th as planned. Too many reads set before that, including one more book by Mrs. Wurts.

message 30: by Maciel (new) - added it

Maciel | 39 comments Oh!! I forgot about the exact date! I'll start on the 15th as well :)

Olivia (vinjii) | 1080 comments I probably won't start early either, I have Anathem to finish and on the 10th the Mad Ship read starts...with a bit of luck I won't completely drown in fantasy ;)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1760 comments Laura, I've talked to Janny about the Q&A and she says it's pretty much our call. She checks GR at least daily, so can handle questions as they come up. All she asks is that spoilers are marked, and that her responses will be too.

I posted some introductory comments from her in the Q&A thread that should help everyone that's new to her work before they dive right in.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments I've read the comments Chris and they do help in understanding her writing. As far as the Q&A goes, I don't know about the rest of the people here but I'd like to read a few more books of hers before I ask my questions so I'd prefer it to be held after the first or second book in the series. That way, everyone who hasn't read anything of hers till now (me included) will have a chance to get to know her work.

message 34: by Maciel (new) - added it

Maciel | 39 comments Laura wrote: "I've read the comments Chris and they do help in understanding her writing. As far as the Q&A goes, I don't know about the rest of the people here but I'd like to read a few more books of hers befo..."

Yeah, I've heard that it's suggested to wait a little (maybe two or three books in) before starting to ask a lot because not much is unfolded at the begginning. Or so I've been told :O

That's why I'm pretty interested in this series :D It sounds complex (yay!!!)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1760 comments I guess we can see what the others say, too. The thread is up though, so I guess as people have questions they could add them. The read starts on the 15th, so you know that in this group, "after the first book" would be the 16th ;)

message 36: by Brent (new)

Brent Dubroc | 72 comments Room for one more on this buddy read? I've already read CotM and a couple of the short stories but I haven't read any of the rest of the series yet, but I wouldn't mind reading this fantastic book again with you guys.

message 37: by Veronica (new) - added it

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3613 comments There's always room for more, Brent. :-)

message 38: by Brent (new)

Brent Dubroc | 72 comments I just wanted to ask, are we going to be covering the whole series, or just the first book in this buddy read?

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Hi Brent. :)
We are planning to read the whole series at the pace of 1 book a month, starting on every 15th.
Threads haven't been made yet but this is the general plan.

Timelord Iain | 17022 comments After reading the comments in the Q&A thread, this is a series I want to check out sometime... but my schedule is too packed for another "thinking" series right now, with all my daily Buddy Reads AND the monthly Malazan Buddy Read...

Next time, I guess...

Shaitarn | 1934 comments Spot.

message 42: by Veronica (new) - added it

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3613 comments Iain wrote: "After reading the comments in the Q&A thread, this is a series I want to check out sometime... but my schedule is too packed for another "thinking" series right now, with all my daily Buddy Reads A..."

There's always a next time.

Timelord Iain | 17022 comments This might be my first successful "Yes, But Later" response...

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments We need to pull Mayim into this also and we'll be having the Kay Squad over here! (only we need to find another name :))

So you'll be missing a great BR Iain! (check out our Kay threads and see how cool we are! Anni said so too!) Better reconsider! I'm even willing to let you off the hook of our Anne Bishop BR! So pretty please!! 😁😁

message 45: by Timelord Iain (last edited Mar 13, 2018 09:08AM) (new) - added it

Timelord Iain | 17022 comments I might could do it if we drop Shalador's Lady + Shadow Queen... or delay them... not sure when I'd have time to go back tho... everything I sign up for is a yearlong commitment...

Sometimes I think how bad I could have been if I'd been this BR-heavy 6 months ago and was signed up for all that stuff as well...

Olivia (vinjii) | 1080 comments Finished Anathem so I can dive into this. With a bit of effort I’ll get Mad Ship out of the way as well. I’m not sure I’ll be able to keep up with the one book a month schedule. But I’ll try.

Timelord Iain | 17022 comments So much for my first restraint...

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments @Iain - we drop drop drop them for now! I already read them 8 times anyway so I can wait one more month for the 9th reread. :D
So no excuses left! 😁

@Olivia - You're Kay squad!!! We're counting on you for this one too. 😘

message 49: by Veronica (new) - added it

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3613 comments Is this available on audiobook? Iain, you may have to pull out your kindle for this one.

Timelord Iain | 17022 comments That might be a problem... Janny Wurts is pretty low-volume on audible... I'll try to join as an ebook reader... I've only read about 50 kindle pages this year...

« previous 1 3 4 5 6