Group Reads > Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 2 stars

Matthew (funkygman007) | 1736 comments Mod
Discuss Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf here

message 2: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 2 stars

Starting a few days early on this as I needed a new audiobook and this one was available!

message 3: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mrs. Dalloway starts today! Who is in?

Scarlett Readz and Runz....Through Novel Time & Distance | 41 comments I have it on audio book. Will start it soon...but cautious since your review....

message 5: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 2 stars

Scarlett wrote: "I have it on audio book. Will start it soon...but cautious since your review...."

Ah, yes - I should share that review here: Click for Matthew's Review

I definitely think this is an "Eye of the Beholder" situation. Even with my two star rating, I didn't think it was bad, just a bit of a more challenging read. Glad it was not a long book - I am not sure I could have gone too much longer with the story structure.

Scarlett Readz and Runz....Through Novel Time & Distance | 41 comments I will give it a try...

message 7: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 2 stars

Scarlett wrote: "I will give it a try..."

Now I am afraid I have scared you! My fingers are crossed that it is one of your favorite books ever. My tip - listen without distractions because you are going to have to focus.

Scarlett Readz and Runz....Through Novel Time & Distance | 41 comments No worries. I may love it :)

Scarlett Readz and Runz....Through Novel Time & Distance | 41 comments So, I started this on audio book yesterday, and I am about 2.5 hrs. into it. If it wasn't for this group, I may have not picked this up.
The story of Clarissa is written in introspective life reflections she makes on this one day before the party. And I am digging the writing and all! Now, I am glad that I am listening to this on audio, which I think the narrator is doing a fantastic job with, because reading it in book format, I may have drifted off. Quite the opposite for some. But I really like it so far. I even put a few extra miles in to listen to more of it on my walk.

message 10: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 2 stars

Scarlett wrote: "So, I started this on audio book yesterday, and I am about 2.5 hrs. into it. If it wasn't for this group, I may have not picked this up.
The story of Clarissa is written in introspective life ref..."

Even though this book pre-dates audiobooks, I realaly think it benefits from the audio format. I am glad you are enjoying!

Glenda | 61 comments I do want to give this one a go, it would be my first Virginia Woolf. What has kind of "scared" me has been the comparisons to James Joyce's Ulysses (thank goodness I didn't read that one in school, I more than likely would have dropped the class). I will probably try the audio version; and since the library hold won't be in for a few days that will give me some time to start The Mists of Avalon (I was a bit late when joining the group).

Matthew wrote: "Mrs. Dalloway starts today! Who is in?"

Matthew wrote: "Starting a few days early on this as I needed a new audiobook and this one was available!"

message 12: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 2 stars

Welcome Glenda! I hope you enjoy booth books!

Glenda | 61 comments Thank you Matthew!

Glenda | 61 comments Well, I tried the audio version but I found myself zoning out and losing track of what was going on....fast forward to today when I went to my local library's annual 10 cent book sale and found a copy of the book. I'm only 20 pages in and already enjoying it more than the audio. I guess I needed to see those breaks that you don't get when listening to it. I hope to finish it by Christmas, a month late but definitely finishing it!

message 15: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 2 stars

Glenda wrote: "Well, I tried the audio version but I found myself zoning out and losing track of what was going on....fast forward to today when I went to my local library's annual 10 cent book sale and found a c..."

Ineresting to hear an audio vs physical copy perspective on this one. Good luck!

Glenda | 61 comments Matthew wrote: "Glenda wrote: "Well, I tried the audio version but I found myself zoning out and losing track of what was going on....fast forward to today when I went to my local library's annual 10 cent book sal..."

Matthew, I did finish this one. I gave it 3 stars only because I couldn't give it 2.5. Overall, I appreciated what Woolf was trying to do, and when it was coherent it was really good, often funny, but I don't like stream of consciousness storytelling. I find it interesting that many lists name this book as the one to start with, and I can admit that even though I'm not (yet?) a huge Woolf fan I did pick up a copy of The Waves recently. Haven't read it yet, though, we'll see how long it lingers on my "to-read" bookcase.

message 17: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 2 stars

Glenda wrote: "Matthew wrote: "Glenda wrote: "Well, I tried the audio version but I found myself zoning out and losing track of what was going on....fast forward to today when I went to my local library's annual ..."

Nice job geeting it done! 😃😃😃 Sounds like you and I are on the same page.