Clean Romances discussion

Alissa Baxter
This topic is about Alissa Baxter
Historical Romance > Clean Regency Romances

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alissa (last edited Oct 23, 2017 12:42PM) (new)

Alissa Baxter (alissabaxter) | 11 comments Hi, I'm new to this group. I write traditional Regencies and all three of my Regencies are "clean".
My latest Regency, A Marchioness Below Stairs, will be published on 15 November. It has the slave trade as a theme, and my heroine is a Methodist, however I wouldn't classify my novel as an Inspirational romance. Anyway, I hope it is OK to post this here! Alissa

Here is the blurb:

Escaping from Bath and the news that her former love is about to marry another, Isabel, the young widowed Marchioness of Axbridge, accepts an invitation to her cousin’s house party. Yet, instead of finding respite, she stumbles into a domestic crisis of majestic proportions: The kitchen servants have succumbed to the influenza.
If that weren’t bad enough, her former sweetheart arrives with his fiancée, seeking shelter from the increasingly hazardous snow storm. Trapped inside Chernock Hall with a volatile mix of house guests, including abolitionists and slave owners, Isabel wishes she could hide below stairs for the duration. But, alas, she cannot. While helping in the kitchen, Isabel is cornered by her cousin’s disreputable friend, Marcus Bateman, who challenges and provokes her at every turn.
At last, the storm subsides. However, the avalanche of repercussions cannot be undone. Caught in the grip of the terrible winter of 1813, will Isabel’s greatest threat come from the weather, her abolitionist views, or from falling in love again?
If you love traditional Regency romances, you'll adore A Marchioness Below Stairs.

message 2: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 146 comments That sounds like an interesting story, Alissa! I like it when Regencies get into the realities of the time and aren’t just froth and palpitations. I’ll watch for its release.

message 3: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Baxter (alissabaxter) | 11 comments Abigail wrote: "That sounds like an interesting story, Alissa! I like it when Regencies get into the realities of the time and aren’t just froth and palpitations. I’ll watch for its release."

Hi Abigail, thank you! I enjoy researching historical events and weaving them into my stories. I mention the first Indian restaurant run by an Indian migrant in London in my book, as well as the 1814 Frost Fair on the River Thames. Women were instrumental at a grassroots level for bringing an end to slavery in the British colonies and this is an important theme in the book. There is some froth as well, though, seeing as how it is a Regency romance!