Time Travel discussion

Green Darkness
This topic is about Green Darkness
Book Reviews > Green Darkness

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (last edited Oct 25, 2017 07:37AM) (new)

Jennifer Macaire | 59 comments I must have read this book ten times since I was a teen - and each time I get something different from it. Anya Seton is a brilliant writer, and the book manages to capture my imagination even after so many readings! The story begins in the present, when a young, wealthy American girl marries a British aristocrat, and comes to live in his family mansion in England. Right away, she feels a strange sense of deja-vu. Her husband also seems to pick up on it, but where she is fascinated and intrigued, he is repulsed and angry. After a violent argument, (and here the book shows its age, but I won't put a spoiler in - ) and the woman falls into a coma - and is somehow transported the past where she is a young woman from a good family (although impoverished). She falls in love with a monk - and it's their forbidden love story that is affecting the couple in the future. There is so much more to the story than that, however, because the author is an amazing historian and the setting is pitch perfect from beginning to end. She captures the beginning of the Tudor era when the clergy were being banned, a new religion was being put in place, Edouard VI was dying, and Mary I, a staunch Catholic, was waiting like a vulture in the wings. I will reread this book with pleasure!

message 2: by Linda (new)

Linda | 2 comments I too loved this book, although I can't remember the story. I am going to see if I can find it in the library.

P.R. (columbyne) I remember loving this book, and thank you for reminding me about it! I must have read it decades ago. I'm going to search for it now to re-read all these years later. A great review, Jennifer :)