Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > Beta Reading for New Adult Fiction

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by jms (new)

jms | 4 comments Hi! I am a librarian with a Bachelors in Literature, certificate in YA fiction, and a second MA in American Studies-- my thesis was about cultural implications of New Adult Fiction. I have read most of major titles in this genre, and would love to offer me services to Beta read any authors looking for real and in depth feedback on their manuscripts. Please Message me and let me know if I can read for you!

message 2: by Luralee (new)

Luralee | 59 comments Thank you for offering your services!

I have a question. What is the difference between NA and adult fiction with a younger protagonist?

I have a dystopian time travel love story that could use another pair of eyes. The MC is 19 at the start of this book and 22 by the end of the trilogy. It reads more like YA than adult fiction.

message 3: by jms (new)

jms | 4 comments New Adult focuses on themes of coming of age, like identity construction (developing sexuality, negotiating education and career choices), new independence, finding oneself ( leaving home, career choices, educational interests, etc). I am happy to read the first few chapters and give you some feedback, though. I definitely am a fan of dystopian YA fiction, I just dont have the same level of expertise about the genre... think more fan than expert :).

message 4: by Luralee (new)

Luralee | 59 comments I'd love to send you the first few chapters and see what you think of them. Is a google doc ok?

I'm pretty sure It isn't YA, the MC is too old.

message 5: by Surrly (new)

Surrly (hamiltopolis) | 11 comments I pm'd you!

message 6: by jms (new)

jms | 4 comments Luralee wrote: "I'd love to send you the first few chapters and see what you think of them. Is a google doc ok?

I'm pretty sure It isn't YA, the MC is too old."

Yep!

message 7: by TR (new)

TR (elrowe) | 13 comments Sent you a few chapters. Let me know if it interests you or not. If not, no worries!

MountainGuardian | 8 comments Thank you for your generous offer.
I messaged you, I look forward to your reply.

message 9: by Gray (new)

Gray Holborn | 17 comments HI! I have a novel that is geared towards a NA audience but is set an urban fantasy. Would you be interested?

message 10: by M.J. (new)

M.J. Prince (mjprince) | 7 comments Hi,

I'm looking for a beta for my YA novel. It's a mix of paranormal, romance and light fantasy also steamier than your usual YA so possibly crosses over into NA (think Paper Princess). The story is loose adaption of Romeo & Juliet but with a fantastical twist. Betrayal, forbidden love, royal houses and power struggles for the crown.

I have a contract offer from a small publisher and have received a full manuscript request from other small presses. But I'm still considering whether it would be better to self publish so would like some beta feedback myself.

Let me know if you're interested.

Thank you!

message 11: by Sheri (new)

Sheri Ellis | 8 comments Hi! Thanks for your generous offer. I sent you a PM. Many thanks! Looking forward to your feedback :)
-Sheri Ellis

message 12: by Mia (new)

Mia Miller (miamiller) | 5 comments Hey! I sent you a PM. Many thanks!

Mia

message 13: by Laynie (new)

Laynie (layniewrites) | 13 comments Thank you for offering your services. Sending a PM regarding my 60k NA novel.

message 14: by Winter (new)

Winter | 4 comments Hey! It’s so awesome to see more offers for beta readers- thanks for putting yourself out there!
I’m sure you’re going to get a flood of requests, but I’m extremely interested in your opinion, because my Sci-Fi, dystopian is an NA.
You can read my first chapter at
https://www.winterkrane.com/projects/
And see if you’re interested.
My email is winterkrane@outlook.com

Even if my books not for you- that’s okay, and I just want to say thank you again for being someones beta reader!

message 15: by Kirk (new)

Kirk | 126 comments Hi JMS,

I'm currently looking for beta readers for my unfinished manuscript. It's sitting at around 90k words (although I hope to chop that down) and it's a dystopian sci-fi story. Here's a rough, placeholder blurb:

"The world has reached new levels of mass overpopulation, and as the number of people continues to grow, the food supplies reach a critical low. When a corporation offers a solution to the epidemic, the world turns a blind eye to what it is they're really consuming, posing the question; what lengths will humanity go to to survive?"

It sounds very Solent Greenish, but I think (or hope) I have an original story. Anyhow, if you or anyone reading this happens to be interested, I'm not looking for a line or copy editor at this point. Right now I want to focus on getting a broader view and get the skeleton of the script solid with regards to character, plot, and pacing.

I'm also more than willing to beta swap or become someone's critique partner. Genres I enjoy are:

Children's
Crime
Fantasy
Horror
Mystery
Science Fiction
Thriller
Young adult

I'm not too keen on romance or erotica, so I don't feel like I could give an accurate critique if that's your genre.

Private message me if you're interested.

I hope to hear from you.

All the best,

Kirk