Snarking LKH discussion

Facebook Flog

Comments Showing 1-50 of 80 (80 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Myst (new)

Myst | 17 comments A new fb post actually giving us a progress update of sorts.

Things just got serious, I’m using not just a penguin mug, but a Christmas penguin mug. When I combine Anita’s love of penguins with my love of the winter holidays I’m deep into the writing. I’m also trying to stay in her voice, the style & rhythm of this book. These are technically edits but when I’m having to write new scenes to go with existing ones I sometimes find it harder to stay creatively focused than when I’m writing first draft. So I get put props that help me think, feel, write a particular character. In this case, Anita Blake. Method acting for the page, instead of the stage. #laurellkhamilton #writing #writer #writersofinstagram #characterdesign #penguins #lkhamilton #lkh #methodacting #christmas #creativity #edits #editing #anitablake #inspiration

message 2: by Jessie (new)

Jessie (origami76) | 13 comments It's almost November. I was expecting an announcement regarding the book's title or cover art not to be informed that she was still writing it.

message 3: by Myst (new)

Myst | 17 comments Her first draft was probably so terrible that it needs a lot of work.

message 4: by Malinda (new)

Malinda Graves | 15 comments Myst wrote: "Her first draft was probably so terrible that it needs a lot of work."Wonder how much of a 1st draft it really was since she's writing new scenes for it.

message 5: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Abram | 34 comments "New Scenes"...translation what she wrote made zippo sense or directly contradicted what she previously wrote so her Editor informed her that it needed to be re-done.

Given that she turned in her first draft weeks (maybe well over a month?) ago, and only now is she starting to show signs of working on the edits, this tells me they decided to brutally edit the entire thing THEN give it back to her and again refusing to give her a drop date till these edits are done. Its obvious that Penguin is pretty much DONE with her antics.

message 6: by Malinda (new)

Malinda Graves | 15 comments Rebecca wrote: ""New Scenes"...translation what she wrote made zippo sense or directly contradicted what she previously wrote so her Editor informed her that it needed to be re-done.

Given that she turned in her ..."
I can't remember when she turned it in but it does seem it was some time ago. Wonder when she got it back.

message 7: by Myst (new)

Myst | 17 comments Didn't she turn it before DragonCon?

message 8: by Bridget (last edited Oct 25, 2017 06:51AM) (new)

Bridget | 25 comments Yes, it might have even been a couple of weeks before DragonCon. This isn't like when she had her no edit contract. Then she'd excrete her "95% gold" first-and-only draft and the edits would be back in a week. They took their time editing this pile o' poopie.

message 9: by Dawn (new)

Dawn Prough (deprough) | 14 comments This alone gives me hope that we'll get a good story this time. It'd be nice to see a good AB novel after all this time.

message 10: by C.E. (new)

C.E. Stokes | 11 comments I'm not holding my breath that this one will be much better. I think she's too rusty skill wise to turn out anything decent. I'd love to see a better book, but I don't think it's going to happen.

message 11: by Robin (new)

Robin (robingoodfellow) | 12 comments She’s trying to do the exact same thing she did to Crimson Death, isn’t she? Trying to shove in scenes that don’t go after they’ve been edited out. Remember all that bridging nonsense?
Looks like we’re here again.

message 12: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Abram | 34 comments Yeah but the difference this time is there is no drop date, there is no deadline for the publisher. They can keep sending it back to LKH as much as they want till it's in a condition they like. The fact we have utterly no information or a title on this book is also telling, it means they don't want to promise anything in case LKH changes her mind or can't deliver the original goods (See Divine Misdemeanors)

Without that Drop Date LKH has lost her biggest card against Penguin, she can't play chicken anymore since missing the drop date hurts the publisher and printers more than her. Now until the publisher accepts the book...they are in no rush to do so...SHE doesn't get the rest of her advance.

message 13: by Malinda (new)

Malinda Graves | 15 comments Wonder when she'll start feeling the money pinch. Passive-aggressive whining will be epic.

message 14: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa | 44 comments C. E. wrote: "I'm not holding my breath that this one will be much better. I think she's too rusty skill wise to turn out anything decent. I'd love to see a better book, but I don't think it's going to happen."
I think the best the readers can hope for is an okay book. Credit for an okay book would likely have to go to Hamilton's editor rather than her, however.

message 15: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Abram | 34 comments If legends are to be believed its thanks to her editor that the first books were as good as they turned out to be.

message 16: by Bridget (new)

Bridget | 25 comments She (LaLa) has told the story of Circus of the Damned being sent back a bunch of times before it was accepted.

message 17: by Myst (new)

Myst | 17 comments Eomer enjoying the sunshine in my office on this chilly autumn day. I worked until 4:30 this morning and gave myself brownie points for being back at my desk by 11:00. Fifteen pages of new scenes last night and today I get to bridge them to existing scenes in the edits. #writing #writer #writersofinstagram #cats #catsofinstagram #rescuecats #laurellkhamilton #lkh #pets #tuxedocat #officecat #happyfriday #friday #editing

message 18: by Bridget (new)

Bridget | 25 comments They must have their foot on her neck if she's working this hard prior to January.

message 19: by MaeNena (new)

MaeNena | 34 comments Back when she was editing CD, she used to mention writing pages of new scenes to bridge old scenes. Then she’d go on about how she had to throw out the beginning, middle, or end of the book and rewrite. I’m sensing a similar pattern.

message 20: by Diane (new)

Diane | 6 comments They must have done editing on a massive scale for things to be taking so long now. After she's done trying to stuff the cut out parts back into different places and another similar edit gets done and returned to her, the real whining and wailing will begin. The publishers have got her right where they want her and where she deserves to be.

message 21: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Abram | 34 comments She better not be trying to shove demanded cuts back into the book again, she doesn't have the "Hard Drop Date" card to play this time around. The publisher can sit on that till the book is completed to something remotely readable. Then announce the drop date.

I still say the only reason why CD was released in the condition it was in was because they already pushed back the date twice and realized she'd just dig in her heels and refuse to continue with the edits. This time they were smart, no announcement of ANYTHING till the book is close to its final draft.

message 22: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa | 44 comments "This time they were smart, no announcement of ANYTHING till the book is close to its final draft."

I think they've gotten through to her to some degree too, saying as how she mentioned working on the first draft of the next book while the edits were in New York. When she's sent the book to her editor is usually when we've heard about her "remembering to play as hard as she works" and the like.

message 23: by Jessie (last edited Nov 06, 2017 11:51AM) (new)

Jessie (origami76) | 13 comments LKH stated on Twitter that she wasn't going South for the winter until the edits are done. I suspect that may motivate her to comply. The longer she takes on the edits, the longer she has to suffer through the cold. This was her tweet from last week:

"Brutal night deadline wise & taking dogs out into the cold even bundled up has caused hives. Yes, I'm allergic to the cold. Epipen in hand"- LKH

message 24: by Myst (new)

Myst | 17 comments Allergic to the cold? Uh huh...

message 25: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa | 44 comments Myst wrote: "Allergic to the cold? Uh huh..."
Before claiming to be allergic to the cold, she mentioned working hard to meet a deadline. I'm sure it was stress from the deadline that gave her hives, not the cold.

message 26: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Abram | 34 comments My money is they want the second draft by the end of the year ideally and sometime in January at the latest. No doubt they want her to have a 2018 release but won't put it on the calendar till they are SURE she won't pull a fast one on them.

message 27: by Jessie (new)

Jessie (origami76) | 13 comments It's definitely the deadline. The next morning LKH tried to elicit sympathy with the below post. Unfortunately, I couldn't muster any after noticing how active she'd been on Twitter during those 15 hours supposedly writing. I lost count at 75+ tweets / retweets.

"Didn't have to use my epipen at 3:30AM. Sorry my last tweet was a bit dramatic, but writing from 9AM to 3AM left me raw and exhausted." LKH

message 28: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa | 44 comments It is so typical of Hamilton to tweet tons when she is close to a deadline and claiming to be working long hours. I counted over 100 tweets/retweets once a few years ago.

message 29: by Jessie (new)

Jessie (origami76) | 13 comments "My money is they want the second draft by the end of the year ideally and sometime in January at the latest."

Based on her past behavior, I suspect LKH is just trying to shovel a different version of the deleted passages back into the novel. Both the publisher and her may want a 2018 release, but it's going to be interesting to see who buckles first. At what point will the publisher concede they're putting in way too much work on a novel that, even on the best day, will only sell X amount?

message 30: by MaeNena (new)

MaeNena | 34 comments IMO, they buckled first with CD. I doubt they'll repeat their mistake. I guess we'll find out if we get more posts about "breaking in" her editor. I read that as code for "why won't Cindy bend to my will?"

message 31: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Abram | 34 comments The only reason why they caved before is because of the hard drop date they already put on the calendar. They shelled out money to reserve the printing presses for LKH's book, moving the date means they not only have to compensate the printer for lost work (it may be too late to schedule something into that slot) and shelling out for a NEW date. down the road.

LKH Blowing a deadline with a hard drop date costs Penguin ALOT of money, blowing a deadline without a hard drop date only costs LKH money since she most likely doesn't get the rest of her advance until it's turned in at least, or published at the latest.

At last check they were even being vague on LKH having a 2018 book, when asked about a 2017 release they only stated she didn't have anything on the calendar for 2017 and didn't even add on the "But she'll have something in 2018!" to the email. So Penguin seems to be playing hardball with her.

message 32: by AnTaibhse (last edited Nov 10, 2017 01:12AM) (new)

AnTaibhse | 2 comments As mentioned in the Twitter thread LKH announced the next AB book is called Serpentine.

Hahahah, I'm clearly a 12 year old boy because my first pre coffee thought was Penis!

I hope she brings the Lamia back, she won't because she doesn't remember the character and neither do the fans judging by the comments. Also Lol at all the "Where's Merry?" comments underneath her big announcement.

message 33: by AndreaNZ (new)

AndreaNZ | 2 comments A new fb post

Eomer curled at my side as I edit into the night. And yes, that is a pumpkin shaped bed. Japanese chins, Keiko & Mordor, are in other dog beds scattered around my office. The coveted pumpkin bed only fits one at a time. You can just see a few of the many sticky notes I’ve taken off the manuscript pages after I fixed, or added the info on them. My editor does electronic notes, but I find that I still need physical sticky notes for my own edits. I’m at a point where I have three possible fixes for a plot point. Choices, choices. Time to decide & get back to it. #writer#anitablake #writersofinstagram #lkh #laurellkhamilton #catsofinstagram#rescuedog #rescuecat #latenight #books #officecat #officedog #pets#everymonthisnanowrimo #pumpkin #stickynotes #edits

All I can say is THREE possible fixes???

message 34: by Dawn (new)

Dawn Prough (deprough) | 14 comments The most discouraging thing to me, reading this as a writer, is the mention that she needs sticky notes to make edits. Does she transcribe all of her editor's notes onto sticky notes and paste them onto a printed copy of the manuscript? Does someone else do this for her? It seems like a time-consuming and wasteful approach to something that's already somewhat stressful.

message 35: by MaeNena (new)

MaeNena | 34 comments Dawn wrote: "The most discouraging thing to me, reading this as a writer, is the mention that she needs sticky notes to make edits. Does she transcribe all of her editor's notes onto sticky notes and paste them..."

Ah, but if she just copies her editor’s notes on to sticky pads and places them on the appropriate printed page, then she can claim she’s deeply involved in her editing without actually editing any single word on her computer. So, yes, time consuming and paper wasting.

message 36: by Dawn (new)

Dawn Prough (deprough) | 14 comments MaeNena wrote: "Dawn wrote: "The most discouraging thing to me, reading this as a writer, is the mention that she needs sticky notes to make edits. Does she transcribe all of her editor's notes onto sticky notes a..."

I just feel kinda bad for her, because she's already struggling and hating writing (and I know that she's buried herself but I am a bleeding heart). If she's handwriting her editor's notes over again, sticking them to the page, and then making edits that she'll later transcribe into the computer, she's making an already horrible task even worse. It's only marginally better if she's making JHHHJ or Jen do this for her.

Ugh, my head hurts just thinking about it.

message 37: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Abram | 34 comments I'm wondering if she's trying to 'waste' time again. Trying to force the publisher's hand into just accepting the book to be done with the Dying Swan routine. But the publisher has ZERO motive to do that this time.

And the whole transcribing leaves room for 'missing' something if she doesn't like a particular edit she can 'forget' to transcribe it.

message 38: by Dawn (new)

Dawn Prough (deprough) | 14 comments Rebecca wrote: "I'm wondering if she's trying to 'waste' time again. Trying to force the publisher's hand into just accepting the book to be done with the Dying Swan routine. But the publisher has ZERO motive to d..."

Yeah, I'm not really thinking about the benefits to her, because I read that and went, "That's so horrible!" But you're right, there are some benefits to her with this method, especially if she's still trying to have control over the process.

message 39: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Abram | 34 comments Now that we have a drop date in Aug I'm thinking she's trying to dig in her heels and do her normal 'run the clock out' trick. AGAIN.

May the Gods be in your favor Cindy!

message 40: by MaeNena (new)

MaeNena | 34 comments New facebook post:
"I have a lap full of happy cat. Eomer is helping to teach me how to relax. I finished the rewrite/edits & slept for about twelve hours. I average five to six hours & then I wake up normally. I guess I really was exhausted. I’m hoping to figure out how to work smarter, not harder for the next book, so the cats are teaching me how to relax. I think that’s the start. Our daughter is on her way back to college after the Thanksgiving break. We had Jon’s family over to dinner, including his aunt who just had open heart surgery & got to come home & join all of us for Thanksgiving. A dear friend who lost her mother just months ago, lost her father this week. My husband & I went to give our support. What can you say in the face of such loss? Nothing, everything, anything, there is no right thing to say. So it’s been a week of emotional highs & lows. Here’s to more highs & fewer lows in the future."

Yep. She’s been a writer for 3 decades and is only now starting to learn how to work smarter.

message 41: by Maryam (new)

Maryam | 17 comments "Cats" again - does the other cat have a name?

I do believe that she could "work smarter" but that would entail listening to good advice-and would also include dropping the muse as an excuse.

message 42: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Abram | 34 comments So the first round of Edits are completed...Time for round two

message 43: by Malinda (new)

Malinda Graves | 15 comments Trying not to bring in politics but someone on Twitter posted a pic of the newest TaxCut draft to be voted on & there are penciled in comments in the margins. The tweet also claims changes are still being written (literally) in. If true, I mean, could it be Lala is setting a trend? (A really, really bad trend)

message 44: by Maryam (new)

Maryam | 17 comments Malinda wrote: "Trying not to bring in politics but someone on Twitter posted a pic of the newest TaxCut draft to be voted on & there are penciled in comments in the margins. The tweet also claims changes are stil..."

Yes, an awful precedent. There have been some Republicans who have acknowledged that they had not seen the actual bill, because there wasn't an actual bill to see, but that they would vote for it anyway because they "need to do it."

If you're writing a piece of fiction that won't change anyone's life, it's bad practice. If you're passing a bill that will affect the lives of an entire nation for decades to come, potentially, and no one can properly evaluate it because no one knows what it actually contains, then you're criminally irresponsible.

message 45: by Sean (new)

Sean | 2 comments ^It's times like this I wish Goodreads had a "like" button.

message 46: by Maryam (new)

Maryam | 17 comments I looked at the LKH site yesterday, and saw nothing about the book or its progress. There's a name for the new cat (which I've promptly forgotten), but I don't see anything about the new book, progress on edits - anything at all.

message 47: by MaeNena (new)

MaeNena | 34 comments She's been remarkably quiet on the social media / blogging front lately. She's also at her vacation home, so it might just be that.

But I don't think she's mentioned one specific thing about this book at all. No 'fight scene coming up' or 'Asher is being a jerk again' or anything to tease the readers. Just some vague 'wrote new pages, edited a chapter, etc'

message 48: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Abram | 34 comments Good point I think she's been given a gag order for lack of better term. Don't tease out scenes that may not make it into the final book. Do we know for sure she's in the tropics?

message 49: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa | 44 comments Rebecca wrote: "Good point I think she's been given a gag order for lack of better term. Don't tease out scenes that may not make it into the final book. Do we know for sure she's in the tropics?"
Yeah, she posted a video.

message 50: by Myst (new)

Myst | 17 comments She has a little video on Facebook about edits.

I think the publisher has her by the short & curlies this time since she finished in aug? & now says she still has 1-2 more *rounds* of edits to go.

« previous 1