2021 ONTD Reading Challenge discussion

2017 ♦️ARCHIVES♦️ November > NOVEMBER - A book written by a celeb

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 327 comments Mod
I put Krysten Ritter's debut novel, Bonfire, on hold at the library. I should get it by the time November rolls around.

message 3: by Lea (new)

Lea | 326 comments Mod
I've had my November book picked out for months: An Unsuitable Boy by Karan Johar!

message 4: by astrea (new)

astrea (messyshelves) | 24 comments I've been putting off listening to Carrie Fisher's audiobooks since she passed, maybe it's time I do.

message 5: by Undine (new)

Undine | 84 comments I recommended Krysten Ritter’s book to my library, and I was thinking about buying Louise Brooks’ Lulu in Hollywood after seeing it in a recent post, but I think I’ll start with Wishful Drinking.

message 6: by Lea (last edited Oct 24, 2017 09:16AM) (new)

Lea | 326 comments Mod
Speaking of Louise Brooks, if anyone is looking for an Old Hollywood pick, there's A Girl Like I: An autobiography by Anita Loos. She wrote Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (the book) and she was a successful screenwriter with a long Hollywood career.

Lauren Bacall and Katharine Hepburn also have memoirs.

message 7: by Undine (new)

Undine | 84 comments I’ve been meaning to read that! I thought she wouldn’t count for this since she’s a writer, but I’m buying this now since it’s out of print and the price keeps going up.

message 8: by Lea (new)

Lea | 326 comments Mod
Oh and Tom Hanks has a new book out: Uncommon Type: Some Stories.

message 9: by Eve (last edited Oct 24, 2017 01:56PM) (new)

Eve (eveofrevolution) | 123 comments I have In the Country We Love: My Family Divided and The Princess Diarist queued up for November!

I might see if I can get my hands on Bachelor Nation's Courtney or Andi's books, for something a little trashier :)

message 10: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (vehiclesshockme) | 78 comments I'm going to try and tackle Krysten Ritter's book along with Revenge of the Nerd: Or . . . The Singular Adventures of the Man Who Would Be Booger by Curtis Armstrong.

As far as recs go I could not recommend Life's That Way by Jim Beaver (Supernatural, Deadwood, Crimson Peak) enough. It's funny and heartbreaking and wonderful and honestly it helped me get thru the death of my stepfather in ways you wouldn't believe. Even if you don't know / follow him in any capacity it's a great book and you should check it out.

message 11: by Lea (new)

Lea | 326 comments Mod
Aaand we have a post on ONTD for this month:

https://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com...

message 12: by Rachel (new)

Thanks for posting!!!!!!

message 13: by IMY (new)

IMY I'm reading The Gun Seller by Hugh Laurie and An Object of Beauty by Steve Martin. I also put Bonfire oh hold but an not sure if I'll get it in time.

message 14: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (vehiclesshockme) | 78 comments Womp womp someone checked out the books I wanted to read from the library and I can't put a hold on them. In the meantime I picked up Down the Rabbit Hole: Curious Adventures and Cautionary Tales of a Former Playboy Bunny by Holly Madison and I also loaded up Modelland by Tyra Banks on my Kindle.

message 15: by Rachel (new)

I really liked Holly's book!

OMG I wanna read Modelland too, to be honest...

message 16: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (vehiclesshockme) | 78 comments I've heard good thing about Holly's! lol Modelland, however, I got for the train wreck factor.

message 17: by Alyssa (last edited Nov 02, 2017 12:52PM) (new)

Alyssa (girlcomeundone) | 152 comments Kelly wrote: "Womp womp someone checked out the books I wanted to read from the library and I can't put a hold on them. In the meantime I picked up Down the Rabbit Hole: Curious Adventures and Cautionary T..." </i>

i'm going to read [book:Bunny Tales
this month so we will have to compare notes! haha

message 18: by Sam (new)

Sam (samjunipero) | 41 comments I'm planning on reading two of Carrie Fisher's books; Wishful Drinking and The Princess Diarist.

message 19: by Cara (new)

Cara (hidingmyheart) | 35 comments Would Hillary Clinton be considered a celeb? I'm reading What Happened anyway but hoping I can use it for this prompt.

message 20: by Lea (new)

Lea | 326 comments Mod
No. She's a politician.

message 21: by Cara (new)

Cara (hidingmyheart) | 35 comments That's what I figured. Guess I'll have to go with something else!

message 22: by Kim (new)

Kim | 65 comments Does The Book of Leon: Philosophy of a Fool count? Technically it's JB Smoove I guess.

message 23: by Rachel (new)

Kim wrote: "Does The Book of Leon: Philosophy of a Fool count? Technically it's JB Smoove I guess."

I would say a comedian can count as a celeb, esp since he was on a show

message 24: by Kim (new)

Kim | 65 comments Rachel wrote: "Kim wrote: "Does The Book of Leon: Philosophy of a Fool count? Technically it's JB Smoove I guess."

I would say a comedian can count as a celeb, esp since he was on a show"

Yaaaay I really want to read this lol I love him

message 25: by Rachel (new)

For anyone reading Bonfire, I made a thread. Just in case :)

message 26: by Sasha (new)

Sasha | 104 comments I'm almost half way finished with Troublemaker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology and I can see why someone would be interested in it.

Oh, I started Shonda's book but didn't think it would be considered part of the category, lol. Guess I should have checked.

For those of you reading Carrie Fisher's Wishful Drinking see if you can check out the hbo show which is good, if you haven't seen it.

message 27: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (vehiclesshockme) | 78 comments Finished Holly Madison's book and enjoyed it! I'm currently working my way through Modelland which is a chore as chunks of it are like late 90s FanFiction.net word salad. I also am currently reading The Disaster Artist: My Life Inside The Room, the Greatest Bad Movie Ever Made but I don't know if Greg Sestero counts as a celebrity.

message 28: by Kat (new)

Kat | 54 comments I am so late but I'm going to read The Princess Diarist for November.

message 29: by Lucie (last edited Nov 30, 2017 07:19PM) (new)

Lucie | 26 comments I was let down this month. I went for The Fry Chronicles (by Stephen Fry, of QI and Jeeves and Wooster) but it was pretty disappointing. Stephen comes across as a self indulgent, hero-worshipping dullard. Reviewed it fully here https://bookandbanana.com/2017/11/05/.... I have heard that his earlier book Moab Is My Washpot is better but I think I'll have to wait a while and recover before I consider giving it a go.