Dangerous Territory Discussion Group discussion

In the light of the female missionaries Peterson mentions in this interlude, who would you say are the saints for American female evangelicals? Currently, and in the past?

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by D.L. (new)

D.L. Mayfield | 7 comments Mod
For me, I think the evangelical saints for women are mostly missionaries like Dangerous Territory mentions. Currently, people like Beth Moore might have such a place? And there are still so many discussions about whether or not she "should" be teaching/leading men . . .

message 2: by CJ (new)

CJ Surbaugh | 1 comments A female evangelical saint I thought of immediately was Aimee Semple McPherson. She's such a complicated figure (and arguably not quite evangelical, since she founded a Pentecostal denomination), but in a lot of ways modern megachurches are built on her example. Growing up, I learned about one very narrow side of her work with the Salvation Army, not as a preacher or evangelist. But like missionary narratives, there was a lot more to Aimee than met the eye, and I think the complexities of her life are all tangled up with evangelical beliefs about women in leadership.