Support for Indie Authors discussion

SIA Investigate > Is joining the Alliance of Independent Authors worth it?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christine (last edited Oct 23, 2017 07:58AM) (new)

Christine Calabrese (christinecalabrese) | 145 comments I've wasted money on one subscription which cost me about $50, they are catering to picture book authors and I just never found their information to be helpful and interesting. I make sure I do not spend lots of money on this project, sweat equity YES, but money no. So I'm wondering if the ALLi is a waste of money or worth it. Do you have any experience with the organization?
Moderators:
I checked the site here and didn't see any threads about this, I'm so sorry if I'm being redundant in any way.

message 2: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Moved to the investigation folder.

Given that I've never heard of this organization, I can't say whether or not they are worth it, but what you should probably look into is what it is, exactly, they are offering. If it's just the prestige if saying you're a member, obviously, there's no value. Do they actually do anything? Market? If so, is it on the up and up?

Most groups of authors I've discovered are simply folks who are marketing to each other and swapping reviews (major TOS violation for Amazon/Goodreads as well as FTC violation), or cross promoting but again, really only reaching each other.

If what you're paying for is advice, then I would say save your money. Advice is freely given online and even then, I'd take anything you read with a grain of salt.

message 3: by Christine (new)

Christine Calabrese (christinecalabrese) | 145 comments Christina wrote: "Moved to the investigation folder.

Given that I've never heard of this organization, I can't say whether or not they are worth it, but what you should probably look into is what it is, exactly, th..."
Thanks Christina! That helps! Actually I learn MORE here than anywhere! FREE for me! :-)

message 4: by Mellissa (new)

Mellissa | 48 comments I love the organization. They do have a free conference three times a year, and so q&a sessions on Youtube. You have to be a member to ask questions, but you can freely listen. They have three levels of membership. They are also trying to get literary festivals etc to accept self-published works with one of their campaigns.

message 5: by Christine (new)

Christine Calabrese (christinecalabrese) | 145 comments Mellissa wrote: "I love the organization. They do have a free conference three times a year, and so q&a sessions on Youtube. You have to be a member to ask questions, but you can freely listen. They have three leve..."
Thanks Melissa! :-)

message 6: by Mellissa (new)

Mellissa | 48 comments Welcome!

message 7: by Loren (new)

Loren Killdeer (lorenkilldeer) Wow, that looks quite interesting! I didn't know about them.

message 8: by Loren (new)

Loren Killdeer (lorenkilldeer) Sorry for the double post, but there are any other organizations like this one, for indie authors?

Thank you for your attention!