What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Wartime and Romance book about girl's life. Starts with girl and boy in cave, during one of world wars, they promise to marry one day. They get separated. She becomes a fashion designer. Spoilers ahead.

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ``Laurie (new)

``Laurie (laurielynette) | 1039 comments Possibly something by:

Judith Krantz or

Barbara Taylor Bradford

message 2: by Tara (new)

Tara Laverty | 2 comments I couldn't find any book of the authors that fits the discription. I know that the book is very old and long; it also has about 1500-2000 pages. I'm pretty sure that the cover is blue and there could also be a lighthouse or a cottage on a cliff.

message 3: by Janet (MR99) (new)

Janet (MR99) Neves | 58 comments What about something from Danielle Steel? I know her book Zoya has a war time setting, but I don't remember much about the story itself. Read it too many years ago!

message 4: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (khek) | 270 comments A 2000 page book? Maybe something by James Michner?

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39296 comments Mod
Even Michener's books aren't that long.

I have never seen or heard of a novel that is 1,500-2,000 pp long. Probably the fattest novel I've ever read was about 1,100 pp.

Sometimes a trilogy or quatrology will be bound together, conceivably that could make it up to 1,500 pages.

message 6: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Something by a classical Russian writer? They love the long works. Leo Tolstoy for one (See War and Peace) with its 1300+ pages. . . )

message 7: by Kris (last edited Oct 29, 2017 10:42AM) (new)

Kris | 35167 comments Mod
Tara, around what year did you read this book? I find "many years ago" means different things in this large group.

What's the time period and location (country/region/big city/small town)? Which war?

message 8: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Or any Victorian author--they were paid by the word, so their books tend to be a bit long-winded. . . (Hence all the side characters in the works of Charles Dickens)

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Tara, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 10: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Tara is still looking for this and wrote:

"I read the book around 2009-2011.

The plot starts off with this girl and a boy in a cave during one of the world wars, they promised to marry one day. They get separated soon after that, reconnect when they are older, and the girl is supposed to marry or is married to someone else.

During that time of separation the girl slowly works her way up to becoming a fashion designer and meets a close relative who turns out to be one of the most famous fashion designers. I think her relative was doing some shady stuff- can't specifically remember.

Some other plot points include- the death of some of her family members due to being killed in a tidal wave in their cottage. At one point the girl and her fiancé got into a car crash because the guy got jealous of her past lover and went all psycho at the opera one night.

It does sound like a lot has gone on in the book, but that's because it's a relatively large book. It's also quite old- the copy I had years ago had browned pages. I also remember the book being blue if that helps."

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Please bookmark this thread so you don't lose it.

Also make sure "Notify me when people comment" is clicked on so you will be aware of new comments.

message 12: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35167 comments Mod
I added some plot details to the topic header. Feel free to update it by clicking the small "edit" link after the header. This only works on the full Desktop website - not the Mobile website or app.