The BOOK/MOVIE Club discussion

This topic is about 1984
Book Club Discussions > Book #8 - 1984

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Max (new) - rated it 5 stars

Max Berger | 156 comments Mod
Discuss your thoughts on "1984" with us here!

Dylan Cunningham | 65 comments One of my favorite books

message 3: by Max (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dylan wrote: "One of my favorite books"

Same here! This was a re-read for me, but the last time I read it was 9 years ago for a school assignment. Reading it again has deepened my appreciation for the story, and I think that the state of current world affairs has only increased its importance and relevancy.

Dylan Cunningham | 65 comments So relevant, very true. I just watched children of men and the film is great even though big chunks of the story changed I think I prefer the film for sure. Speaking of adaptations, 1984 is a great adapted film.

message 5: by Max (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dylan wrote: "So relevant, very true. I just watched children of men and the film is great even though big chunks of the story changed I think I prefer the film for sure. Speaking of adaptations, 1984 is a great..."

I'm glad you liked the Children of Men movie! I was particularly impressed by some of the action scenes, where the camera would never cut away or switch angles. Once you realize these scenes were filmed in just one long take, it becomes so much more impressive to watch. The car chase towards the beginning and the journey through the war-torn city at the end are the best examples of this.

I only discovered in recent years that there was a film adaptation of 1984, starring one of my favorite actors (John Hurt). I'm very excited to see it, I'll definitely post my thoughts here when I do.

Heather I loved this book! I don't usually read dystopian science fiction novels, but I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. I was also surprised by how readable it was compared to some of the other works of classic fiction that I've read.

message 7: by Max (new) - rated it 5 stars

Heather wrote: "I loved this book! I don't usually read dystopian science fiction novels, but I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. I was also surprised by how readable it was compared to some of the ot..."

I'm glad you liked it! I agree, the writing style is really accessible despite being written in the 40s. Winston is a relatable character who is easy to root for, and the alternate future setting of the book is interesting and richly detailed.

George Orwell's other book, Animal Farm, is very similar in terms of themes and tone. I'd describe it as being like a short story prequel to 1984, but with animals as the main characters. It's a good book too!

Adriana (Mea) Gutierrez (adrianamea) | 129 comments Mod
Sometimes this book is hard to get through- after the climax it takes long to wrap up and get to the point. Even though it is VERY worth reading through it!

1984 has been one of the most impactful books I have read and I have found myself thinking of it through recent internet information scares.

I find the real life parallels disconcerting. For example, anyone can write a well written blog or article or FaceBook post and people believe it. Also, the fact that people put tape over their laptop cameras because hacking it and spying on your daily browsing is possible... What a world we live in!

George Orwell must have had deep insight to politics and societal changes, because I see 1984 everywhere. Spooky!

Adriana (Mea) Gutierrez (adrianamea) | 129 comments Mod
Have any of you read Brave New World? It's common to pair these two together. I would like to add it to our reading list and do a compare/contrast of the two dystopian novels.

message 10: by Kiya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kiya (kiyajade) Unfortunately I missed reading this with the group but WOW! I only rated Animal Farm 3 stars after re-reading it this year and expected to have similar thoughts with 1984. This book offered everything that I wanted out of Animal Farm with similar themes but this perspective was definitely more interesting to me. I agree with you Mea, so insightful to have been written in 1949!