What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA fiction, 3 children captured by indians on American frontier as fathers chased them down to rescue them

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by James (new)

James | 1 comments I am looking for a book I read (or maybe only started reading) in late elementary school or early jr.high in the early 2000's. It randomly popped in my head a while back and it's bugging me that I cant remember or find it through google searches so I'm here to ask for your help.

Here is what I can remember. There was a family living on the plains(?) in the american frontier and the main character was one of two boys in the family. He was probably around 13 years old and his younger borther was probably about 7-9? The main character was more calm while his little brother was pretty wild. There were playing outside with a neighbor girl, around the same age as the main character whom I think they had known for a while. The kids were across a large field or maybe further back in their land when a band of indians came across them and abducted them. I think the parents saw from a far/ heard the indians, or realized soon after and began chasing them, but couldn't catch up right away. Or maybe they had to gather more men from nearby farms to have a chance against the group of indians. I think the indians were apaches or comanches, but I can't remember. I think they were more warriors than hunter-gatherer nomads, but there were probably only about 10-15 of them.

The indians continued on with the children as prisoners while the fathers were about a day behind. At one point when they were bound the boy attempted to get to his pocket knife to try to free them, I think his back was tied up against the girl,or they were both tied to the same post, and she had to grab the knife from his pocket or grab it off the ground or something. Their attempt was unsuccessful. I can't remember if it was right after, but at some point on the trail the little brother jumped on one of the indians and started choking him and definitly bit off his ear, I think this was around the time they were crossing a stream.

I don't recall anything after this point. Maybe I got bored with the book and stopped reading it or the school year ended and I had to return it. Or I simply forgot the end along with the author/title. I don't think they ever integrated with the indians, I think the parents were able to rescue them in the end, or at least thats what sounds the most familiar.

Thanks for any help you can provide. Hopefully someone can remember this book.

message 2: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1206 comments I'm not sure about all the details as it has been a long time since I've read this, but in Savage Sam a boy and his little brother and a neighbor girl are captured by Indians and then eventually rescued.

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37753 comments Mod
James, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 4: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16051 comments I agree with Adele. Definitely Savage Sam.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Savage Sam (other topics)