Horror Aficionados discussion

Brimstone (Pendergast, #5; Diogenes, #1)
This topic is about Brimstone
Buddy Reads > Brimstone

Comments Showing 1-50 of 98 (98 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Ginger | 3290 comments Come join Terry and I for a buddy read of Brimstone! We're starting this tomorrow and anyone is welcome to join. :D

Matthew (funkygman007) | 967 comments MUAH HA HA! So there!

You might as well call these Ginger and Terry buddy reads with color commentary by Matthew.

message 3: by Ginger (last edited Oct 22, 2017 08:27PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ginger | 3290 comments Matthew wrote: "MUAH HA HA! So there!

You might as well call these Ginger and Terry buddy reads with color commentary by Matthew."

He's back! Hahaha
I can't wait for your commentary by the way.
This is now a Pendergast tradition so you have to join everyone we do. :D

Terry | 4867 comments Ginger wrote: "Matthew wrote: "MUAH HA HA! So there!

You might as well call these Ginger and Terry buddy reads with color commentary by Matthew."

He's back! Hahaha
I can't wait for your commentary by the way.
T..."

That's right, like our own Rod Serling host for our Pendergast mystery zone... 😂

Terry | 4867 comments These Preston/Child books are so easy to read! The chapters are all very short, and I read up to ch8 today. Already totally caught up in the mystery in this one. (view spoiler)

message 6: by Ginger (last edited Oct 23, 2017 07:41PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ginger | 3290 comments Terry wrote: "These Preston/Child books are so easy to read! The chapters are all very short, and I read up to ch8 today. Already totally caught up in the mystery in this one. [spoilers removed]"

I started tonight too. I'll try to get to Ch8 as well before I look at the spoiler.
You're right Terry! These books are so easy to read. I'm so glad we're back in the Pendergast action.
I loved Pendergast in his diguse! hahaha
Poor D'Agosta. Sounds like life didn't treat him right after NYPD. :(

Matthew (funkygman007) | 967 comments Yas! D'Agosta! I like him almost as much as Pendergast!

And, regarding the spoiler (view spoiler)

Terry | 4867 comments Ginger wrote: "Terry wrote: "These Preston/Child books are so easy to read! The chapters are all very short, and I read up to ch8 today. Already totally caught up in the mystery in this one. [spoilers removed]"

..."

The disguise is so unlike him, I didn’t think it was at first, lol.

Terry | 4867 comments Matthew wrote: "Yas! D'Agosta! I like him almost as much as Pendergast!

And, regarding the spoiler [spoilers removed]"

Me, too - now I want to know more!

Matthew (funkygman007) | 967 comments Terry wrote: "Matthew wrote: "Yas! D'Agosta! I like him almost as much as Pendergast!

And, regarding the spoiler [spoilers removed]"

Me, too - now I want to know more!"

Trust me - I'm still learning!

message 11: by Ginger (last edited Oct 24, 2017 06:41AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ginger | 3290 comments Terry wrote: "These Preston/Child books are so easy to read! The chapters are all very short, and I read up to ch8 today. Already totally caught up in the mystery in this one. [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Terry | 4867 comments Ginger wrote: "Terry wrote: "These Preston/Child books are so easy to read! The chapters are all very short, and I read up to ch8 today. Already totally caught up in the mystery in this one. [spoilers removed]"

..."

Exactly! Very cool that this is carrying over between books like this.

Matthew (funkygman007) | 967 comments :):):)

I will say this - being a few books ahead - knowing what I know now, Relic through Cabinet (along with Thunderhead and Ice Limit) all seem like the prequels to a main, bigger story!

Terry | 4867 comments Matthew wrote: ":):):)

I will say this - being a few books ahead - knowing what I know now, Relic through Cabinet (along with Thunderhead and Ice Limit) all seem like the prequels to a main, bigger story!"

I hope you're right, Matthew! That would be really cool.

Ginger | 3290 comments Matthew wrote: ":):):)
I will say this - being a few books ahead - knowing what I know now, Relic through Cabinet (along with Thunderhead and Ice Limit) all seem like the prequels to a main, bigger story!"

Damn you Matthew, I need to know! :D hahaha
Just kidding....kind of. ;)

Matthew (funkygman007) | 967 comments Ginger wrote: "Matthew wrote: "Damn you Matthew, I need to know! :D hahaha
Just kidding....kind of. ;) "

Quit work and just read! :)

Ginger | 3290 comments Matthew wrote: "Quit work and just read! :)"

*sigh* This would be the life, just to read books. Can we get paid to do this type of work?!

Terry | 4867 comments If anybody finds that job, I want to apply also...

Terry | 4867 comments I haven't made any progress in a couple of days. Still sitting on ch13. How about you, Ginger?

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 2258 comments Is this a book you can read out of order? Maybe I should see if the library has the 1st book to see if I like them.

Terry | 4867 comments They can be read as standalone, but you do get more going in order. There is some stuff that carries over in terms of the main character and his background.

message 22: by Ginger (last edited Oct 27, 2017 06:11PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ginger | 3290 comments Terry wrote: "I haven't made any progress in a couple of days. Still sitting on ch13. How about you, Ginger?"

Ha!! I haven't made any progress at all. I've been devoting all my time to The Hero of Ages. I've got less then 100 pages left and it's the only thing I can read right now. I'm obsessed. LOL
But I will get back to it this weekend.
Aaaaaand, I picked up The Snowman at the library today so we're good to go for Nov. 1st.

Ginger | 3290 comments Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ wrote: "Is this a book you can read out of order? Maybe I should see if the library has the 1st book to see if I like them."

I'm not sure if you can. There is a lot of characters and subtle plots in the ones before.
BUT if you haven't read The Snowman yet, you are more then welcome to join us on Nov 1st!!

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 2258 comments Shoot! I added the first one to one of my Amazon lists. Oh, I have wanted to read The Snowman! I will check the library 😊

Ginger | 3290 comments Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ wrote: "Shoot! I added the first one to one of my Amazon lists. Oh, I have wanted to read The Snowman! I will check the library 😊"

Awesome! I hope you can join us. :D

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 2258 comments Well, I'm not reading it either. 17 weeks on ebook and 16 on the audio or vice versa. I hate trying to get something from out tiny libraries Overdrive!!!

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 2258 comments Y'all have fun on all of them 😄

Terry | 4867 comments That stinks, Melissa! Sorry you couldn't get ahold of it ☹️

Matthew (funkygman007) | 967 comments The Overdrive waitlist for the book It at my library, which uses Consortium of over 100 libraries, is right around 50 people. If everyone keeps it for the full 21 days, it will be 2.8 years before a person adding it today would get it! So, yeah, Overdrive is great, but sucks sometimes!

message 30: by Ginger (last edited Oct 27, 2017 06:40PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ginger | 3290 comments Dang it Mel! I wish it would of been available on Overdrive.
Next time my friend! 😘

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 2258 comments I knew it though! I have stuff on there I have been waiting on for months! I will try to catch one somewhere with you guys 😘

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 2258 comments Matthew wrote: "The Overdrive waitlist for the book It at my library, which uses Consortium of over 100 libraries, is right around 50 people. If everyone keeps it for the full 21 days, it will be 2.8 years before ..."

Good Lord, when you put it that way. I looked up some new book just because I was curious and it said 6 month wait! Are you serious? Ugggg

Ginger | 3290 comments Matthew wrote: "The Overdrive waitlist for the book It at my library, which uses Consortium of over 100 libraries, is right around 50 people. If everyone keeps it for the full 21 days, it will be 2.8 years before ..."

Wow!! It's amazing how long of a wait these popular books are. It took over a month before I got "The Snowman" and two months to get "Beartown" this year. I just went for the book and it seemed to have less of a wait time. I guess everyone is doing ebooks or audio these days!

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 2258 comments That true, Ginger. I know I do as I don't leave house much. But it's only 7 days at the regular library.

Ginger | 3290 comments Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ wrote: "I knew it though! I have stuff on there I have been waiting on for months! I will try to catch one somewhere with you guys 😘"

Awesome! I hope you can. It would be great to do a BR with you! :D

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 2258 comments Yes, it would! I will try to keep my eye out! 👀 My notifications keep dropping from groups. Someone said if the page changes over it will do that!

Ginger | 3290 comments Terry, I just got to Ch 23 tonight.
(view spoiler)

Terry | 4867 comments Ginger wrote: "Terry, I just got to Ch 23 tonight.
[spoilers removed]"

I've been bad about making updates here! ☹️ I just made it to ch26. On your spoiler (view spoiler)
Very much enjoying!

Terry | 4867 comments Hey, and Jimmy Graham sure made up for dropped passes with his catch there at the end of the Seahawks game today. What a game! I had Watson as my QB in one of my leagues, so I was happy watching that one 👍😁. You had to be on the edge of your seat until the last second for that one, lol!

message 40: by Ginger (last edited Oct 29, 2017 07:01PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ginger | 3290 comments Terry wrote: "Ginger wrote: "Terry, I just got to Ch 23 tonight.
[spoilers removed]"
I've been bad about making updates here! ☹️ I just made it to ch26. On your spoiler it sure seems like something like that, ..."

Me too!! This has been an entertaining and fun read so far. It definitely feels (view spoiler)

Matthew (funkygman007) | 967 comments I was just realizing, discussing Brimstone may end up being difficult for me since it is part of a trilogy and it may be tough to remember which book has which events in it! I will try and be good and not accidently jump on something from the wrong book!

Ginger | 3290 comments Terry wrote: "Hey, and Jimmy Graham sure made up for dropped passes with his catch there at the end of the Seahawks game today. What a game! I had Watson as my QB in one of my leagues, so I was happy watching th..."

I was a MESS! Thank God he made that catch or I would have found him somewhere in the area and beat his 6'7" ass down. ;) hahaha
KC is tomorrow. I'm cheering for them to get back into the black!

Matthew (funkygman007) | 967 comments Regarding the supernatural elements in all Preston and Child - they always start with things that seem impossible with the normal laws of nature but usually manage to explain by the end. Its one of the things I love about these guys.

Also, I go back to my belief that if there is something in the books that is unexplainable due to the normal laws of nature, Lincoln Child is responsible for it!

Ginger | 3290 comments Matthew wrote: "I was just realizing, discussing Brimstone may end up being difficult for me since it is part of a trilogy and it may be tough to remember which book has which events in it! I will try and be good ..."

Ha!! This one so far has people dying in ways in where it looks like Satan has burned them inside out. With questionable hoof prints, crucifixes being burn into the skin and the smell of brimstone in the morning.

Terry | 4867 comments Matthew wrote: "Regarding the supernatural elements in all Preston and Child - they always start with things that seem impossible with the normal laws of nature but usually manage to explain by the end. Its one of..."

That's exactly what I'm expecting with this one, but it's great that I can't see how that happens where I'm at right now!

Terry | 4867 comments Ginger wrote: "Terry wrote: "Hey, and Jimmy Graham sure made up for dropped passes with his catch there at the end of the Seahawks game today. What a game! I had Watson as my QB in one of my leagues, so I was hap..."

Haha, that's exactly what I was guessing! Glad it turned out right, for Jimmy's sake too, lol.

Go Chiefs! I don't know what to expect but I hope it's back to good news.

Matthew (funkygman007) | 967 comments Ginger wrote: "Matthew wrote: "I was just realizing, discussing Brimstone may end up being difficult for me since it is part of a trilogy and it may be tough to remember which book has which events in it! I will ..."

Nice reference! Thanks for the mind jog!

What I think is another element of remembering in a Trilogy is what they resolve in book 1 or leave unresolved until later.

Honestly, there is stuff from earlier in the series that is still not resolved where I currently am in the series. Sometimes I have seen you guys mention stuff and I think "Nope, still not resolved yet!" 😉

Terry | 4867 comments Matthew wrote: "Ginger wrote: "Matthew wrote: "I was just realizing, discussing Brimstone may end up being difficult for me since it is part of a trilogy and it may be tough to remember which book has which events..."

I can definitely see that being the case with the trilogy.

And that's great to hear about the continuing storylines. That is a fun part of reading this series.

message 49: by Ginger (last edited Oct 29, 2017 07:32PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ginger | 3290 comments Matthew wrote: "Honestly, there is stuff from earlier in the series that is still not resolved where I currently am in the series. Sometimes I have seen you guys mention stuff and I think "Nope, still not resolved yet!" 😉
"

And because of this, I'm glad we are reading all the books in order. It's like they put easter eggs in their books. LOL
I really like that!

Terry | 4867 comments I made it up to ch31 last night. (view spoiler)
I don't even know where this goes now, lol.

« previous 1