All About Books discussion

The Monday Poem > "Enigma" by Leonora Speyer October 23, 2017

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 22, 2017 06:15PM) (new)

Enigma

Leonora Speyer

It would be easy to forgive,
If I could but remember;
If I could hear, lost love of mine,
The music of your cruelties,
Shaking to sound the silent skies,
Could voice with them their song divine,
Red with pain’s leaping ember:
If I could but remember.

It would be easy to forget,
If I could find lost Sorrow;
If I could kiss her plaintive face,
And break with her her bitter bread,
Could share again her woeful bed,
And know with tears her pale embrace.
Make yesterday, to-morrow:
It would be easy to forget,
If I could find lost Sorrow.

Leonora Speyer was born in Washington, D.C., in 1872. She won the Pulitzer Prize in 1927 for her poetry collection "Fiddler’s Farewell." She died in 1956.

message 2: by Greg (new)

Greg | 7374 comments Mod
Terri wrote: "Enigma

Leonora Speyer

If I could but remember;
If I could hear, lost love of mine,
The music of your cruelties,
Shaking to sound the silent skies,
Could voice with th..."

It's such a raw poem Terri! I see in it all the confusion and anger of losing an imperfect person that one nonetheless loves deeply. We don't love a person because they are perfect; we love them because we love them. Then we lose them to death, and we are left with the good and the bad, but what wouldn't we give to get them back flaws and all, exactly as they were.

I had never heard of this poet before, but I see she won the Pulitzer as well as being a talented violinist. A talented woman!

message 3: by LauraT (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 13144 comments Mod
Greg wrote: "I had never heard of this poet before, but I see she won the Pulitzer as well as being a talented violinist. A talented woman! "

Neither had I.
Really interesting

message 4: by B the BookAddict (last edited Oct 23, 2017 01:15PM) (new)

B the BookAddict (bthebookaddict) | 8315 comments Nor me, Terri. But I'm glad you introduced us. I see she had her beautiful portrait painted by John Singer Sargent in 1907.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree that this is a raw poem. Some of you know I've been estranged from my parents and siblings for the past 10 years. This poem speaks to that hurt for me.

message 6: by Greg (new)

Greg | 7374 comments Mod
Terri wrote: "I agree that this is a raw poem. Some of you know I've been estranged from my parents and siblings for the past 10 years. This poem speaks to that hurt for me."

I'm so sorry to hear that Terri - that can't be easy

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

It's not, Greg. I think I've accepted it, and then something brings it back. Thanks for caring. :)

B the BookAddict (bthebookaddict) | 8315 comments Terri, that is a shame. I feel for you.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks, B.

message 10: by Joan (new)

Joan Wow, beautiful poem Terri.
“It would be easy to forget
If I could find lost sorrow”
I feel the poet really captures the numbness left after violent emotional abuse/assault, that stunned, hollow feeling that leaves you unable to remember or forget.

I really like her line “Shaking to sound the silent skies.”

Terri- I’m sorry to hear of your family troubles - if I could I’d give you a hug - it wouldn’t change anything but I hope it would help.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for your thoughtful words, Joan. :)

message 12: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) I don't usually read the Monday Poem section because I'm not much into poetry (after my failed long-term relationship with a poet I haven't read much poetry anymore), but I came here after an AAB friend recommended I read this poem.

Terri, thanks so much, this is so powerful. I didn't know this poet but I think I'll have to look into her despite my hiatus from reading poetry. I want you to know I hear you and I feel for you. A big hug ((((Terri))))

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you so much, Marina! :)

message 14: by Susie (new)

Susie | 179 comments Very intense and raw is the right word...it rips at our most vulnerable and tender spots...

'the music of your cruelties...' really strikes me about how for some, inflicting cruelty is a regular routine and goes unobserved by so many
A depressing view on some of 'humanity'...

So much power in that short poem is a wonder to me...wow...

Terri...hang in there...thanks for sharing...

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks, Susie.