Play Book Tag discussion

Red Rising (Red Rising Saga, #1)
This topic is about Red Rising
October 2017: Society > Red Rising by Pierce Brown - 5 Stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Regina Lindsey | 1005 comments Darrow is born into the Red caste in a dystopian society set in the future. His lot is to sacrifice for all of mankind and mine Mars in order to make it habitable. He comes from a revolutionary minded father who lost his life and loves his life, of the same mind as his dad, with all of his heart. When she is executed for singing a freedom song he has an opportunity to seek revenge and subvert the political system.
Red Rising by Pierce Brown - 5 Stars

This is touted as "Hugergamesque" I can understand why. It has some aspects but it is more complex and richly drawn. It is evocatively written and Brown paints a vivid picture of the future society in a way I adored. But, I think what I loved most is how Darrow evolved over time and discovered so many things about himself and the complexities of the human race. A number of characters were neither purely evil or purely righteous. That came across as incredibly believable for a dystopian novel.

While I loved the book I'm not sure I'm going to read the remaining the series. Would love to know if anyone did and what you thought.

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments Regina wrote: "Darrow is born into the Red caste in a dystopian society set in the future. His lot is to sacrifice for all of mankind and mine Mars in order to make it habitable. He comes from a revolutionary min..."

I agree with your comparison to The Hunger Games. I was definitely caught up enough to want to go on with the series. I have Golden Son checked out and waiting to go once I finish my October book for the seasonal challenge.

Regina Lindsey | 1005 comments I will look forward to reading your review then!