Shakespeare Fans discussion

Sonnets > Week 33. Sonnet #36

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Candy (new)

Candy | 2634 comments Mod
Hello Sonnet Group...

I'm sorry I've been awol. Just overwhelmed with work.

I see Martin is not here right now...or posting and I do have the Sonnet Scehedule he randomly generated so I will try to post a "catch up" of the Sonnets to keep us on track.

This 33 week is Sonnet #36

Let me confess that we two must be twain,
Although our undivided loves are one.
So shall those blots that do with me remain
Without thy help by me be borne alone.
In our two loves there is but one respect,
Though in our lives a separable spite,
Which, though it alter not love’s sole effect,
Yet doth it steal sweet hours from love’s delight.
I may not evermore acknowledge thee,
Lest my bewailèd guilt should do thee shame;
Nor thou with public kindness honor me,
Unless thou take that honor from thy name.
  But do not so; I love thee in such sort,
  As, thou being mine, mine is thy good report.

message 2: by Candy (new)

For me...this is purely and solely a temporal object. I see a record of the suns movements.

I think the poetry is so beautiful too.

I take this as the narrator again talking to their younger self "the youth"...and realizing that whatever motive or intent they had to be a writer as a young person...has been eclipsed by the actual value and worth of becoming and writing. The youth is a competitor because they were ignorant of the duty of a writer. Now the older writer knows the deeper meaning of art and life...yet is not as strong or quick to find words as a young artist.

The poems overt engagement with Elizabethean Occult is profoundly exciting to me!!!!

The alchemy has been to turn a young poet into a wise and older poet. Alchemy has a philosophical meaning here in building character and knowledge...and the poetry is the knowledge.

message 3: by Janice (JG) (new)

Janice (JG) I've been wondering about Martin, he is usually so committed to these sonnet postings. I hope all is well with him.

Now I have to catch up with all your sonnet postings, Candy : )

message 4: by Candy (new)

Yes, I wonder about Martin too...and hope he is okay. I hope to hear from him soon