Play Book Tag discussion

October 2017: Society > Our Souls at Night by Ken Haruf - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara M (last edited Oct 23, 2017 11:42AM) (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2275 comments Our Souls at Night by Kent Haruf

I feel this fits Society because these characters give society something to think about and then society changes things again. I listened to the audio and found the narrator's voice to be perfect.

Addie and Louis live on the same street and know each other as acquaintances. That is until Addie makes a proposition to Louis. She is lonely and finds the nights the worst of all. She misses falling asleep in bed alone. Would he be interested in visiting her a couple of nights a week and sleep in her bad and talk. Just sleep and talk, nothing else. And that's the way it goes in this slow and sweet story about two 70 year-olds.

Some stories are just about people and not big events, but not many. This is just lovely. Their friendship develops and we learn about both Addie and Louis's lives as they talk about their pasts, the things they enjoy. Then, one day, Addie's son calls in distress, his marriage and business are falling apart and he needs Addie to take in his son. Jamie is a frightened little boy and a wonderful addition to the story.

The ending, well it certainly leaves you thinking and I won't tell you why. I'm so sad to hear that this was Haruf's last book. Since this is the first of his that I've ever read, I do have his past books to keep me company but I'm sad that there is no way that I'll ever hear more of the story of Addie and Louis. I do love Colorado having just returned from visiting my son in The Springs. I'll be reading more Haruf and recommending these books to others.

message 2: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 2217 comments Yay!!

message 3: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6004 comments I loved this book.

message 4: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Yay! I’m so glad you loved it.