Play Book Tag discussion

October 2017: Society > Tessa's Caldecott Challenge / Oct 2017 - SOCIETY

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5813 comments In this thread I'll post reviews of Caldecott-winning children's books that fit this month's tag.

message 2: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5813 comments Smoky Night by Eve Bunting
Smoky Night – Eve Bunting / Illustrated by David Diaz
4****

Watching news coverage of the Los Angeles riots, Eve Bunting wondered how children perceive such events, especially those who actually live through them. In this picture book she focuses on Daniel and his mother, as well as his cat, Jasmine. His mother explains calmly that these people are angry and doing wrong things, like stealing and breaking windows, but tries to reassure him that he is safe inside. Still when a fire breaks out they must flee, and Daniel is worried about Jasmine.

I like that Bunting gave a sense of the chaos and the fear and anxiety that both children and adults felt, but that she also allowed for safety and compassion and understanding. It’s a lesson in recognizing our common bonds as humans, rather than our exterior differences.

David Diaz does a marvelous job illustrating the book. He created collages of materials, including cardboard, wallpaper, tissues, shoe heels, against which he placed his acrylic drawings. The result is vivid and graphic. His artistry won the Caldecott Medal.

LINK to my review