Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > Tessa's Caldecott Challenge / Oct 2017 - does NOT fit the tag

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5643 comments In this thread I'll post reviews of Caldecott-Medal-winning picture books that do NOT fit the monthly tag.

message 2: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5643 comments Owl Moon by Jane Yolen
Owl Moon – Jane Yolen / Illustrated by John Schoenherr
5*****

On a winter evening with a full moon, a father takes his young daughter out to the woods near their farm in search of the elusive Great Horned Owl.

This is just a lovely story of a father-daughter relationship, and of the joys of observing and appreciating nature. It’s a poetic story and reminds us that much can be said in silence. How I wish I had young children in my life to read this to them. I would be happy to read it over and over. Maybe even in a whisper to exaggerate the idea of a quiet moonlit night in the woods, when just being with your parent is enough to communicate the love between you.

John Schoenherr’s beautiful watercolor illustrations won the Caldecott Medal. I particularly love how he “hides” a wild animal in most of the depictions ... a tiny mouse near a fallen log, a doe hunkered down in a snowbank, a racoon curled in the hollow of a tree. I loved examining the paintings for these little details.

LINK to my review

message 3: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5643 comments Jumanji by Chris Van Allsburg
Jumanji – Chris Van Allsburg
Audiobook performed by Robin Williams
5*****

Peter and Judy’s parents are going to a matinee, and they leave the children at home, with instructions to “keep the house neat,” as they’ll be bringing some guests back after the performance. Of course, they immediately make a mess with all their toys, but even that is boring after a while, so they head for the park. There they find a discarded board game – JUMANJI: A Jungle Adventure Game - and decide to take it home and play it. Fortunately, they DO read the instructions ….

What a flight of fancy and imagination! Oh, the thrill of being just a little naughty and pulling one over on the parents … followed by the sheer terror when you realize that you are going to get caught and most certainly severely punished. How can they possibly explain to Mother and Father about the rhinoceros stampede, or the monkeys in the kitchen, not to mention the python on the mantel and the torrential downpour that has soaked all the carpets.

Van Allsburg’s wonderful illustrations won the Caldecott Medal, and this was a well-deserved prize.

The 30th anniversary edition I got from the library has a surprise: an audio CD of the book, performed by Robin Williams. I confess that I listened to it twice!

LINK to my review