Georgette Heyer Fans discussion

Really Useful Stuff > Heyer films

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (new)

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 4372 comments Mod
Yes, I know we are all starting to give up hope!

http://www.janetogeorgette.com/george... Found by Andrew.

The whole site looks really good actually.

message 2: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 536 comments Carol, what I'm seeing through the link is dated from March 2016. Is there something more recent elsewhere on the website?

message 3: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (last edited Jul 27, 2019 01:37PM) (new)

Margaret wrote: "Carol, what I'm seeing through the link is dated from March 2016. Is there something more recent elsewhere on the website?"

No I think that is about as new as the info gets. I found the info on who holds the rights most interesting. If you hear anything more, especially about The Grand Sophy, please post. I'm getting worried that some of the proposed actors will be too old by the time this film is shot! :/

message 4: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (last edited Jul 27, 2019 01:30PM) (new)

From one of the Venetia threads;

Tadiana"*putting on my copyright lawyer hat* I just checked UK copyright law and the rule there is "life of the author plus 70 years." Since Heyer died in 1974, in the UK her works won't fall into the public domain until 2044. In the US, I think all of her works fall under the "95 years from the date of publication" copyright rule for pre-1978 works."

message 5: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (new)

I've just changed the title of the thread to make it a bit more wide ranging. The (really cool) site in message one doesn't appear to have been updated since 2016.

My Airbnb guests are waking up now, so I'll have to leave this, but I'll try to find the other film info later today.

message 6: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (new)

I found the earlier thread

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 7: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 1405 comments Tadiana is certainly the copyright expert around here!

message 8: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (new)

Abigail wrote: "Tadiana is certainly the copyright expert around here!"

Tadiana is indeed a treasure!

message 9: by Susan in NC (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3594 comments Yes she is! Every group should have one in the ranks...

message 10: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (new)

There is a complete version of the film of the Reluctant Widow on You Tube as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SWq7...

message 11: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (new)

IMdB on the German language version of Arabella.

Doesn't look Regency & not much info there

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052624/

message 12: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (new)

A link that Teresa posted in another thread.

http://www.georgette-heyer.com/movies...

The Jane to Georgette site linked to is "under construction."

I'll have a hunt & I'll see if I can find anything about The Grand Sophy film. COVID has probably held a lot of stuff up though.

message 13: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (new)

Some interesting info & links on Jen Kloester's website - thanks Jen!

https://jenniferkloester.com/2-heyer-...

I will explore further later.

message 14: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 1376 comments There's an interesting discussion on the Heyer Today podcast
https://heyertoday.libsyn.com/movie-m...

Basically, the rights holder said we're too passionate and devoted to the novels and a big movie company won't be able to adapt them the way we want to see them and so they suggest smaller theater companies ask for the rights and produce an adaptation the fans can live with. It still doesn't explain why Masterpiece didn't jump on them after the success of Downton Abbey. I have my parents watching Sanditon now because it's a darn sight more realistic than The Bridgertons even though it's not the least bit Austenesque. They seem to be enjoying to so far and I think Georgette Heyer would be a huge hit, minus the moneylender in The Grand Sophy.

message 15: by Mela (new)

Mela (melabooks) | 70 comments QNPoohBear wrote: "I have my parents watching Sanditon now because it's a darn sight more realistic than The Bridgertons even though it's not the least bit Austenesque."

I had a few tries with "The Bridgertons". Finally, I did watch it (yes, all episodes). It was... I mean, I tried to read "Duke and I" (although, I don't remember how many pages), and I wasn't thrilled (to tell it politely), but what I saw in the tv-series was even worse. I liked costumes etc. But the rest... Let's just say - I am not a fan of this tv-series.

message 16: by Jackie (last edited Apr 16, 2021 05:27AM) (new)

Jackie | 1326 comments It still doesn't explain why Masterpiece didn't jump on them after the success of Downton Abbey.

yes, exactly! done right it would be a huge success.

message 17: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 536 comments The moneylender scene in The Grand Sophy would be easy to fix for a filmed version. Just change the guy's name and make him a sleazy-looking Cockney or something.

message 18: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 1376 comments I tried The Bridgertons too but can't make it through a scene without my head screaming "WRONG WRONG!" I've watched about 2 episodes. Masterpiece needs a big hit to follow up after Downton and Heyer really would fit the bill. They would be certain to do it right. Belgravia was very Heyeresque and Doctor Thorne is Austenesque. There's a market for this stuff now-finally! My dad even liked Belgravia when I assumed it would be too slow for him. Heyer is at least funny and there are duels and rakes aplenty for those who like a little more action.

Susan in Perthshire (susanageofaquarius) | 1139 comments I binge-watched The Bridgertons over Christmas (after my Mum died), and to my astonishment I loved it! Perhaps it was exactly what I needed right then - total escapism.

I approached the viewing with scepticism after viewing the trailers; and because I am normally very pedantic about historical accuracy, there was a strong expectation that I would hate it.

Thankfully, I watched an interview with the makers beforehand and once I saw what they were trying to do, I just went with the flow and submerged myself in the entire experience. So much so that I then read the first three books in Julia Quinn's series. What can I say - I liked them too. No, she's not Heyer - but then who is? She still writes a good plot with well developed characters.

I would love to see an adaptation of one or more of Heyer's books (Venetia, Frederica, The Grand Sophy?) but I suspect no one would ever be able to produce a version that we all liked.

message 20: by Susan in NC (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3594 comments Good to know, I’ve only watched a bit of the first Bridgeton episode, seemed fun and beautifully done - entertaining and a treat for the eyes! I’ve been saving watching the rest for when I really need the escapism! I usually read in the evening, but I agree, sometimes you just need a break - I went through the same when my mum passed away. And again when I was recovering from brain surgeries; we need to take care of ourselves, and when the world is a bit much, I need to remember to turn my brain off for a bit and veg with some sheer entertainment! I’ve read and enjoyed several of Julia Quinn’s romance novels over the years - my mum put me onto her years ago, and I enjoy her humor and storytelling.

I, too, would love to see Heyer films - her dialogue is so good, that wouldn’t need a thing. I think the humor would definitely appeal to a lot of viewers, but they might need to up the “sexy quotient” for today’s viewers - but if it were done tastefully, why not?

message 21: by Susan in NC (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3594 comments QNPoohBear wrote: "I tried The Bridgertons too but can't make it through a scene without my head screaming "WRONG WRONG!" I've watched about 2 episodes. Masterpiece needs a big hit to follow up after Downton and Heye..."

Agree, clearly there is a market right now - I haven’t watched it yet, and am not up on a lot of pop culture, but even I know Bridgerton has been a big hit, and will have future seasons.

message 22: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 1754 comments QNPoohBear wrote: "I tried The Bridgertons too but can't make it through a scene without my head screaming "WRONG WRONG!" I've watched about 2 episodes. Masterpiece needs a big hit to follow up after Downton and Heye..."

Really enjoyed Belgravia too. I had read the book before hand and after watching the series I read it again!! Thoroughly enjoyable.