Play Book Tag discussion

Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis
This topic is about Hillbilly Elegy
October 2017: Society > Hillbilly Elegy - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Diane Zwang | 485 comments “Americans call them hillbillies, rednecks, or white trash. I call them neighbors, friends, and family.”

J.D. Vance is a wonderful writer and I am so glad he shared his story. From the book jacket we learn that J.D. Vance graduates college (Ohio State University), becomes a lawyer (Yale Law School), marries, and moves to California. We know he succeeds and this book is his journey to that success. This is a deeply personal story about poverty, family relationships (thank goodness for grandparents), drug addiction and perseverance.

“He taught me that lack of knowledge and lack of intelligence were not the same.”

“Public policy can help, but there is no government that can fix these problems for us.”

“These problems were not created by governments or corporations or anyone else. We created them, and only we can fix them.”

“I don't know what the answer is, precisely, but I know it starts when we stop blaming Obama or Bush or faceless companies and ask ourselves what we can do to make things better.”

Joni | 599 comments Great review!!!!