Great African Reads discussion

Books, Books, Books > Book Title/Author

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Antonia (new)

Antonia Faustine | 1 comments I read this book when I was 10. It was based in Sierra Leone and focused on FGM. A young girl ran away from her mother's home just before she was forced into the disturbing ritual. Her mother, staunch on traditions and such, but long divorced from her father, a more modern, contemporary parent, was forcing her into it. She ran away to find her father in the city and lives with him and his fiancé/ girlfriend, who's all nice and quite contrary to how stepmothers are commonly depicted in books/films. I don't remember much about the book. As I said, I was 10 when I read it. The worst part is I can't remember the title or the author and it's been bugging me for a few years now. I remember one scene, either just before or after the girl had found her father. Her father and his fiancé wake up and the author describes her short hair through which she runs her fingers. I'm not sure why I remember this. It probably just fascinated me at the time. Plus I pictured a really nice pixie cut :D. Please help me find the title. I would love love love loooove to read this book again. It taught me a lot at a very young age. Thank you.

message 2: by George P. (new)

George P. | 195 comments How old a book is it? How long has it been since you were 10?