Retro Reads discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
General > Guess What!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 78 (78 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Moderator (last edited Oct 22, 2017 10:56AM) (new)

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 1630 comments Mod
Retro Reads is now a featured group on Goodreads!

https://www.goodreads.com/group

Everyone - be on your best behaviour! :D

Edit; Proving (as always) I shouldn't post anything before my first coffee!

message 2: by Jacquie (new)

Jacquie Scuitto | 10 comments Glad to have found you from a post on the Georgette Heyer group. I have been reading for about 80 years and remember my early reads better than the books I read last week -- possibly because many of them have been reread a number of times. I have already posted on the children's books section but can't seem to spot where to discuss mystery novels. Is there one? There certainly should be!! Please?

message 3: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Moderator (new)

Jacquie wrote: "Glad to have found you from a post on the Georgette Heyer group. I have been reading for about 80 years and remember my early reads better than the books I read last week -- possibly because many o..."

So glad to have you here Jacquie!

We weren't going to offer mysteries on this group originally, as there are so many other groups on GR offering them, but Tadiana & I have talked it over & decided that due to the very strong demand we will look at reading them. My personal preference would be no Christie as she has at least 3 groups dedicated to her. :)

message 4: by Mir (new)

Mir | 11 comments Sure, maybe some more obscure mystery authors, although they may be hard to find. Somewhere in a box I have a reference book that lists them all...

debbicat *made of stardust* (cr8zycat) | 336 comments A featured group?? Wowz!

message 6: by Jacquie (new)

Jacquie Scuitto | 10 comments I have a volume which lists female mystery writers and (with its various ways to look info up) is pretty thick! Used copies are quite cheap on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Detecting-Wome...
It is fun just to browse and has a lot of info. Esp useful for pseudonyms. Published in 1999 it won't be much use for recent books but for our purposes it could be very useful.

message 7: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Moderator (new)

Jacquie wrote: "I have a volume which lists female mystery writers and (with its various ways to look info up) is pretty thick! Used copies are quite cheap on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Detecting-Wome...-..."

That sounds good Jacqui! :)

Barb in Maryland | 485 comments There is a reprint series ongoing--British Library Crime Classics--that features popular mysteries of the 1920s into the early 1950s. Poison Pen Press is the US publisher. There are some hidden gems in this group. Something to consider if Retro Reads decides to do some mysteries.

message 9: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 198 comments Carol ♔Type, Oh Queen!♕ wrote: "Retro Reads is now a featured group on Goodreads!

Edit; Proving (as always) I shouldn't post anything before my first cof..."

Congratulations! That is exciting! You came up with a brilliant idea since old books are so enjoyable -- my problem is that I can't keep up. I just ordered The White Witch but I want to read An Important Family, too. I belong to four groups but I am loving this one the best!

message 10: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Moderator (new)

Elinor wrote: "Carol ♔Type, Oh Queen!♕ wrote: "Retro Reads is now a featured group on Goodreads!

Edit; Proving (as always) I shouldn't p..."

That's really nice to hear. Thank you!

message 11: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1945 comments I adore retro mysteries, and I have a fair collection of Allingham, Wentworth, Sayers and Ellis Peters (obviously, my fandom leans toward the female side of murder...), so I'd love to do a mystery one day!

message 12: by Allegra (new)

Allegra | 34 comments Karlyne wrote: "I adore retro mysteries, and I have a fair collection of Allingham, Wentworth, Sayers and Ellis Peters (obviously, my fandom leans toward the female side of murder...), so I'd love to do a mystery ..."

I'll have to track down any choices, but I love old [retro] mysteries. I'm in!

message 13: by Critterbee❇ (new)

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 352 comments Hello fellow featured-group members!

I love mysteries, so I am certainly willing to read one once in a while.

message 14: by Sally (new)

Sally I'm so glad I found this group! If we do decide to go with a retro mystery, I'd like to suggest Josephine Tey. Her books were few, but among the very best.

message 15: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Moderator (new)

Sally wrote: "I'm so glad I found this group! If we do decide to go with a retro mystery, I'd like to suggest Josephine Tey. Her books were few, but among the very best."

Hi Sally & welcome!

We have recently read one of my favourite Tey's - Brat Farrar. Feel free to add your thoughts!

message 16: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1945 comments Sally, I think Kim is reading Brat now, so if you want to jump in, it might be a good time!

message 17: by Susan in NC (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 1328 comments Karlyne wrote: "I adore retro mysteries, and I have a fair collection of Allingham, Wentworth, Sayers and Ellis Peters (obviously, my fandom leans toward the female side of murder...), so I'd love to do a mystery ..."

Karlyne, I love all of those authors as well, but haven’t read many of Wentworth’s mysteries, and I’m up to Tiger in the Smoke with Allingham - I’ve been spreading them out over the years so I don’t run out.

On Scribd I’ve discovered Catherine Aird, who wrote interesting traditional English police procedural mysteries; I’ve read the first two and enjoyed them, looking forward to exploring the rest of her books!

message 18: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Moderator (last edited Oct 31, 2017 11:37AM) (new)

Susan in NC wrote: " but haven’t read many of Wentworth’s mysteries...

I've enjoyed the Miss Silver titles I've read, but after The Annam Jewel by Patricia Wentworth you would have to twist my arm very hard to get me to read any of her other early works. The exception might be Anne Belinda A Golden Age Mystery by Patricia Wentworth which I remember either Judy or Susan (moderators at Reading the Detectives) read & said it was more a romance than a mystery & it was actually a good story.

Dean Street Press is reissuing old Wentworth's & puts them up as freebies every now & again. Unfortunately for most of you, Wentworth has a different publisher in the States.

message 19: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1945 comments I have a ton of Wentworths but neither of those, Carol!

message 20: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1945 comments Tiger in the Smoke is a good one, Susan. I've always thought of Allingham as more suspense than mystery-driven. And she can get me to look over my shoulder, especially in the fog...

message 21: by Jacquie (new)

Jacquie Scuitto | 10 comments Can we add Ngaio Marsh to the list or is there a separate group for her books? I adore Inspector Allyn and his mother , not to mention Troy. and his sergeant. I had an extensive collection but when moving I had to let most of them go, just keeping Night at the Vulcan because it is so romantic.

message 22: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1945 comments I love Ngaio, and someday I'm going to arrive on Carol's doorstep so we can go tour her house. Marsh's house, I mean.

message 23: by Critterbee❇ (new)

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 352 comments Hi Carol, I'm here to tour your house...

message 24: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1945 comments ❇Critterbee wrote: "Hi Carol, I'm here to tour your house..."

Heeheeheee. Well, she is famous to our group, right?!?

message 25: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 6 comments Hi everyone: I just joined!
I love old books.
Three of my favs: Marjorie Morningstar, (Herman Wouk) and The Gift and the Giver (Nelia Gardner White) & Joy in the Morning (Betty Smith)

message 26: by Susan in NC (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 1328 comments Karlyne wrote: "Tiger in the Smoke is a good one, Susan. I've always thought of Allingham as more suspense than mystery-driven. And she can get me to look over my shoulder, especially in the fog..."

I’ve heard it’s pretty edge-of-your-seat reading, Karlyne. I’ve got the paperback, just waiting for the right time to dig in- I want to savor!

Hi Brenda, welcome!

message 27: by Susan in NC (last edited Nov 01, 2017 07:21AM) (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 1328 comments ❇Critterbee wrote: "Hi Carol, I'm here to tour your house..."

Poor family member who opens the door, “Carol, Yanks at the door for you yammering about Ngaio Marsh and Georgette Heyer...”

message 28: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1945 comments Susan in NC wrote: "Karlyne wrote: "Tiger in the Smoke is a good one, Susan. I've always thought of Allingham as more suspense than mystery-driven. And she can get me to look over my shoulder, especially in the fog......"

I'm trying to remember the name of the one that I thought was even more suspenseful. I'll go see if I can find it.

message 29: by Critterbee❇ (new)

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 352 comments Welcome, Brenda!

message 30: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1945 comments Susan in NC wrote: "Karlyne wrote: "Tiger in the Smoke is a good one, Susan. I've always thought of Allingham as more suspense than mystery-driven. And she can get me to look over my shoulder, especially in the fog......"

It's Tether's End, Susan, in case you run across it, published as Hide My Eyes, in the U.K. I like Hide My Eyes as a title, myself!

message 31: by Susan in NC (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 1328 comments Thanks, Karlyne, I’m reading them in order and haven’t gotten to that one yet!

message 32: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Moderator (new)

Welcome Brenda!

Karlyne, visiting Ngaio Marsh's house from my place would involve a long car journey (& I would prefer to stop overnight in Taupo) a car ferry & another long car trip. But I would love to go! :)

http://www.ngaio-marsh.org.nz/

message 33: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1945 comments Nebbamind, Carol, I just remembered that it's at least a two hour drive to get to the closest airport, and then a 20+ hour flight(s)just to get to Auckland. I think it might kill me...

I'll just re-enjoy pictures of her house and re-read her books.

message 34: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Moderator (new)

Christchurch has an airport though! :)

One day I'll get there.

message 35: by Phair (last edited Nov 02, 2017 04:28PM) (new)

Phair (sphair) I'm currently reading The Story of Classic Crime in 100 Books The Story of Classic Crime in 100 Books by Martin Edwards which discusses British crime fiction books published from 1900 thru 1950. The books included are not necessarily "best" books but are titles that illustrated changes or developments in the genre over the years.
I'm finding the introductions to each of the many chapters fascinating as he discusses the various developments covered in that chapter. The discussions of individual titles follow as he gives just enough info about the plot without "spoiling" the story then providing info on the author and the book's importance to the genre.
I'll admit to not having read or even hearing about many of the titles, especially the early ones. This book was intended as a companion to the British Library Crime Classics series mentioned in message 8 above.
Definitely not a quick read but well worth it if you're into mysteries.

message 36: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 673 comments It sounds wonderful, Phair!

message 37: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1945 comments It does!

message 38: by Susan in NC (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 1328 comments Added to my TBR list -thanks, Phair!

message 39: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 198 comments I would love to do a mystery as well.

message 40: by Allegra (new)

Allegra | 34 comments Funny. I joined some reading groups so I'd pick up books other than mysteries. Now I have to squeeze them in and barely get to 5 each year. I'd love to do more.

message 41: by Susan in NC (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 1328 comments Allegra wrote: "Funny. I joined some reading groups so I'd pick up books other than mysteries. Now I have to squeeze them in and barely get to 5 each year. I'd love to do more."

I did the same! I’ve always loved mysteries, my favorites are very satisfying- I guess I like the tidying up of loose ends, if only life could be so straightforward!

message 42: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1945 comments I agree, Susan! I think it's the ability to close the book and be able to go on to another without too much angst that attracts me.

message 43: by Susan in NC (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 1328 comments Karlyne wrote: "I agree, Susan! I think it's the ability to close the book and be able to go on to another without too much angst that attracts me."

Yes, and my favorite character-driven series have a recurring group of characters I become attached to, and enjoy catching up with, like old friends!

message 44: by Allegra (new)

Allegra | 34 comments Susan in NC wrote: "Allegra wrote: "Funny. I joined some reading groups so I'd pick up books other than mysteries. Now I have to squeeze them in and barely get to 5 each year. I'd love to do more."

I did the same! I’..."

Absolutely.

message 45: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1945 comments A friend just posted a Dorothy Sayers quote on Facebook and it made me miss Peter and Harriet and Bunter.

message 46: by Susan in NC (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 1328 comments Oh I love Peter and Harriet and the gang! I read them all years ago and just started rereading this year.

message 47: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1945 comments It's been quite a while since I have, so I may just have to put them on my soon list!

message 48: by Susan in NC (last edited Nov 04, 2017 07:02PM) (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 1328 comments Well, with my mother’s last illness and now my own health issues, I thought over the last couple years it would be a fun time to revisit old favorites and see how they hold up. I’ve been rereading Lord Peter, Miss Marple, Charlotte MacLeod’s mysteries and Elizabeth Peter’s Amelia Peabody- all are favorites and so much fun! And for the most part, all holding up beautifully!

message 49: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1945 comments I'd have to add Campion and Miss Silver, too! I get a kick out of Elizabeth Peter's miscellaneous mysteries, too.

message 50: by Kim (new)

Kim Kaso | 105 comments We are reading (re-reading for many) Mrs Mike in June (this month), are we not? I am doing my Goodreads reading list for this month & have it written in my copy of the book, but don’t see it anywhere in the listings on the Group page. I did find the note that I had previously read from Carol about changing the reading order, and it says Mrs M is scheduled for June. I’ve been looking forward to it & China Court for some time. ;-)

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.