Brilliant Books You've Never Heard Of discussion

The Waking Fire (The Draconis Memoria, #1)
This topic is about The Waking Fire
Group Read > The Waking Fire - Finished Reading - *Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) What did everyone think? Spoilers welcome!

message 2: by Kristin B. (last edited Nov 20, 2017 11:34AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) I wasn't super in love with this read. It was definitely epic. It had a huge scope and covered a lot of different themes I think.

Some things I really enjoyed:
The different types of dragons and how their blood could be used differently.
The idea of blood-blessed. This was a really cool idea and I like that it was completely random.
The contractors, especially the Long-Rifles. I liked that they had a code and it seemed that women were just as valuable as the men.
Lizanne. Se was just bad ass. But I also liked that she was protective of Tekela.
No sweeping romances. This book was focused on action, which is much more interesting.
The pirate captain and her daughter. They were delightful.
The gadgets.

Things I wasn't super fond of:
The massiveness of the slaughters. Thousands of Spoiled and hundreds of drakes suddenly descending. Like, I know they were being controlled by the White, but the numbers still felt unreasonable. Particularly considering how many different places they were apparently attacking.
A lot of concepts introduced, but not all of them really fleshed out. For instance, I feel like the whole book could have gone just fine without the Corvantine war and Hillemore's chapters. Obviously from the end of this book we see that he is going to be important coming up, but I feel he could have been introduced differently. Basically I think if a few aspects had been eliminated the book could have been about 200 pages shorter and a lot more gripping.

All in all, not a bad read. The second half definitely made up a bit for the slow start.