The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2)
This topic is about The Well of Ascension
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > The Well of Ascension [November 2017]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 83 (83 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new) - rated it 5 stars

Margret | 3170 comments Mod
November 24th

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Thanks Margret! :)

message 3: by Vuk (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vuk (wolfient) | 44 comments Woo, can't wait! Thanks, Margret!

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2423 comments Enjoy this one guys and trust me when I say that you will be surprised by how much better this book is and how hero of ages blow the other 2 out of the water

Chris (murphy44) | 706 comments David wrote: "I own the first book but haven't gotten around too it so maybe I should try to read it before this buddy so that I can join this :D"

That would be great but just make sure you have a little time to digest the end of book one before starting this. If you're like me that is, because you'll want some thinking time!

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Haha Chris is right. But you should totally try and join us :)

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments Will join this one, though I gotta say I'm hoping for a more mature Vin in the 2nd book.

message 8: by Saar The Book owl (last edited Nov 20, 2017 04:30AM) (new) - added it

Saar The Book owl | 2011 comments Maybe not the right topic to ask it here, but I'l try it anyway: I see that Sanderson has a lot of series, but I've never read a book of him. I've looked up his books and now, as a complete newbie I ask what is the best series to start with and to explore Sanderson?

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2423 comments Hi Saar Brandon had made a post highlighting where you can start I'll put it here

https://brandonsanderson.com/books/wh...

Pretty much if you like fantasy you would want to start with mistborn and stormlight but mistborn for something easier but if you want to read young adult then steelheart and rithmatist are the best options

Hope this helps

Saar The Book owl | 2011 comments Thank you, Ahdam! This really helps :)

message 11: by Anni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anni | 5020 comments I will start this tonight, because I hope I can read a couple of chapters before my next Buddy Read starts on the 27th. :)

message 12: by Siobhan (last edited Nov 23, 2017 12:42PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Anni wrote: "I will start this tonight, because I hope I can read a couple of chapters before my next Buddy Read starts on the 27th. :)"

I'm gonna start tonight too! :D excited.

Is everyone who read Final Empire last month on board for this one? Should be fun!!

message 13: by Anni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anni | 5020 comments Let's open the discussion :)
I finished Chapter 3 yesterday and I am a bit disappointed... I loved the first book and couldn't put it down, but here I don't feel engaged right from the start. Of course this is just the beginning and there are tons of pages left to convince me (and I guess they will!), but still I had wished for a bit 'more'...

I think my biggest issue (spoiler for book 1 and maybe slightly for chapter 1) (view spoiler) I don't want to ruin the mood here, I am optimistic that the book get's better for me, I guess I just want to whine a bit :D

To contribute something positive I (Chapter 3) (view spoiler) and it is nice to see that we have the italic openings again :)

Chris (murphy44) | 706 comments Anni wrote: "Let's open the discussion :)
I finished Chapter 3 yesterday and I am a bit disappointed... I loved the first book and couldn't put it down, but here I don't feel engaged right from the start. Of c..."

I think... (up to page 60)
(view spoiler)

So lots of things to think of while you're following along with the story!

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Anni, I completely understand your point of view on this. By chapter 3 I wasn't feeling it either. But I suppose that's a miniscule part of such a big book.
Spoilers for book 1 and up to chapter 3 (view spoiler)
Chapter 7 (view spoiler)
Anyway, I can't wait to read more. Hopefully gonna make a good dint in it this weekend.

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Chris wrote: "Anni wrote: "Let's open the discussion :)
I finished Chapter 3 yesterday and I am a bit disappointed... I loved the first book and couldn't put it down, but here I don't feel engaged right from th..."

By the way Chris, your spoiler explains that so well! Think you've hit the nail on the head really.

message 17: by Anni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anni | 5020 comments Siobhan is right, that was well said Chris! And please don't get me wrong I don't intend to judge the authors ability to write or the book in any way! ;) I think I had a problem with high expectations and was a bit to impatient because of it...

Unfortunately I won't have much time this weekend, we will fell trees in our garden today (12 big fir trees, if everything went well :D) And tomorrow I will visit the theme park Phantasialand with friends :) I am so excited and hope my coming muscle ache won't kill me :D

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Wow you make me feel so lazy! My plans involve lying on the sofa for two days... XD
Have a fab time at the theme park, will be a good reward for your hard work today.

I think I might have just not been in the right mood yesterday. I'm up to page 90 now, just finished chapter 8, and I am loving it!! Vin included. :D

Beste | 1163 comments @chris I didnt see the BR and read it like 2weeks ago :( so I have to say be patient, it gets better, buuuuut I have to warn; there will be moments you will want to choke Vin to death.

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2423 comments Yeah like beste said stay strong cause it gets goooood and I have to admit there was a part where I was gonna rage quit this due to a certain part 😜😜😜

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Oh dear I'm worried now, I'm not strong! Haha 😂

message 22: by Chris (last edited Nov 25, 2017 11:36AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chris (murphy44) | 706 comments I think it should be alright because Eland is young and the typical 5th in line prince kind of character thrust in to the spotlight. And Vin a hormonal teenage magical ninja! I mean, REALLY, what could go wrong with that? 😨

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Chris wrote: "I think it should be alright because Eland is young and the typical 5th in line prince kind of character thrust in to the spotlight. And Vin a hormonal teenage magical ninja! I mean, REALLY, what c..."

HA! What could go wrong indeed.

Chapter 18 - (view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Chapter 20 - (view spoiler)

Chris (murphy44) | 706 comments I've been bouncing between this and Game of Thrones, so, I'll try to catch up today. But, the kids are home.... So, yeah...

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Chris wrote: "I've been bouncing between this and Game of Thrones, so, I'll try to catch up today. But, the kids are home.... So, yeah..."

No worries, I'm going quickly as I would rather be finished with this before I start Before They are Hanged. I think we overbooked ourselves! 😂

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Beste wrote: "@chris I didnt see the BR and read it like 2weeks ago :( so I have to say be patient, it gets better, buuuuut I have to warn; there will be moments you will want to choke Vin to death."

@Beste, help, I want to choke Vin to death and I'm not even half way through.

message 28: by Anni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anni | 5020 comments I finished Chapter 14 yesterday and as I also going to start Before they are hanged, I don't think I could catch up with you Siobhan. I think I will take this one slow.

Chapter 14 (view spoiler)

I was thinking about the ability of mistborns to use iron and steel. Their powers are influenced by their own weight, so I was wondering if two mistborns could pull at something heavy made of metal and move it toward them, when one of them would move himself toward the metal-thing because it is heavier...
Not that this is important for the story, but the question popped up in my head and now I can't stop wondering :D Was this mentioned before and I only forget about it?

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments That's cool Anni, just go at your own pace :) sorry if I'm going quicker than usual.

I loved chapter 14 too! That was my status update where you said I was scaring you 😂
(view spoiler)

I'm not sure about the weight thing, I have quite a loose grasp of the whole system in my little brain haha!

message 30: by Anni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anni | 5020 comments Siobhan wrote: "That's cool Anni, just go at your own pace :) sorry if I'm going quicker than usual.

I loved chapter 14 too!"

No need to be sorry, I maybe would also read faster if I could :D

(Still chapter 14): (view spoiler)

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2423 comments Glad everyone is enjoying well of ascension a random thought came into my mind I remember when Mark Lawrence was reading mistborn and he was pointing out the scientific errors with the metals e.g. some metals being the same metals but at different purities and I found it funny (He's technically a scientist so I'll take his word) but he did enjoy it though and he said how he prefers his magic being magical than scientific

What do you guys think of that because I think a lot of people are split on how sanderson handles magic since the magic in a lot of his books are very sciency in a way and some people don't like it and prefer the old school Tolkien way if that makes any sense

Chris (murphy44) | 706 comments Siobhan wrote: "That's cool Anni, just go at your own pace :) sorry if I'm going quicker than usual.

I loved chapter 14 too! That was my status update where you said I was scaring you 😂
Tindwyl is such an intere..."

I'm currently 3 pages from the end of 13, ya'll got me super excited for Chapter 14!

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Anni wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "That's cool Anni, just go at your own pace :) sorry if I'm going quicker than usual.

I loved chapter 14 too!"

No need to be sorry, I maybe would also read faster if I could :D

(S..."

I love your Ardee moments! XD keep on thinking creatively! :)

Ahdam, I quite like the scientific route. It gives it a base in something real that you can comprehend. I know that's not needed, but sometimes it's nice.
I'm certainly no scientist, but I did wonder about some of the alloys... I would have thought he would have researched it more thoroughly, if Mark Lawrence is saying there's some error, seems it would have been easy enough to consult someone.

message 34: by Anni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anni | 5020 comments I enjoy both types of magic if they are done well. I think an author could ruin both kinds of magic if he couldn't deliver his/her idea. I think it is more important for me that I am able to enjoy the magicsystem, no matter what.
I personally like Sanderson idea of the magics here (and also the one of the Rithmalist, which is a bit mathematical) and don't think it is too scientific, but I am kind of a Scientist as well, so maybe it doesn't count :D

message 35: by Anni (last edited Nov 27, 2017 11:58AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anni | 5020 comments @Chris I think chapter 14 wasn't the shocking one, it's the end of part 1. But I commented after reading till chapter 14 and used my spoiler tag also for things happening afterwards ;)

Chris (murphy44) | 706 comments Ahdam wrote: "Glad everyone is enjoying well of ascension a random thought came into my mind I remember when Mark Lawrence was reading mistborn and he was pointing out the scientific errors with the metals e.g. ..."

I try not to over analyze anything if it's explained well. I mean we're reading fiction about a fantasy world the author created. It's unique, which is refreshing. It's limited to a certain extent, and not just the magic but the people that can do it. The old ways of nature based magic is great but it's been the norm so long that it's like he's rejuvenated a part of the fantasy genre with Feruchemy, Allomancy, even the Steel Inquisitors to a certain degree. And I think that with so much of today's population being higher educated, it's now in our nature to need a scientific (as opposed to a religious) explanation to all things that we encounter in our lives, which is why it works and is blazing trails - it allows us to relate in a way, making it personal. Even Patrick Rothfuss scientifically explained his magic system, and it made logical sense! Niki has used the term speculative fiction a bunch of times. And when you think about it, that can encompass both sci-fi and fantasy because you're speculating on possibilities and intertwining that with a great storyline, no matter the imagined setting! Fantasy just allows more speculation room. Because scientifically speaking, how can you defend the idea of a light skinned, purple haired, nature respecting individual who rides an incandescent unicorn that communicates telepathically and has the ability to teleport after a few hours of sleep! Or closer to the point, an 18 year old, 120 lb. girl who can control magnetic waves, affect wishes, desires and personalities, see with her eyes closed, "hulk smash", run like the Flash, and vanish and kick ass like a ninja that's been training for half her life, even though she's only been a Mistborn for 2 years!

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments Just finished Ch 10 ... Wow u guys are quite fast. Hopefully the train ride tomorrow will give me enough time to catch up ha!

Brief comment so far: I'm more excited reading Sazed's chapters than Vin's. The political situation is getting interesting, though it seems like there'll be a continuation of the love triangle aspect?

Re : the metals not being scientifically accurate. It'd bother me more in a hard sf. Since this isn't a hard sf, eh I'll let it slide. It makes a really unique magic system tho, so that's a bonus that allows me to look over the inaccuracy.

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Barry wrote: "Just finished Ch 10 ... Wow u guys are quite fast. Hopefully the train ride tomorrow will give me enough time to catch up ha!

Brief comment so far: I'm more excited reading Sazed's chapters than V..."

I felt exactly the same around chapter 10, much more interested in Sazed. Well to be honest I still am at chapter 43. Not to say the others aren't interesting me too though :)

message 39: by Chris (last edited Nov 27, 2017 06:06PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chris (murphy44) | 706 comments I'm at chapter 14 right now... I can't keep up to your pacing Siobhan!

message 40: by Anni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anni | 5020 comments Chapter 18 (view spoiler)

message 41: by Anni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anni | 5020 comments Siobhan wrote: "
Chapter 18 - [spoiler removed]"

Oh please no!!! (view spoiler)

Barry wrote: "Just finished Ch 10 ... Wow u guys are quite fast. Hopefully the train ride tomorrow will give me enough time to catch up ha!

I will start another Buddy Read today so I will slow down and you will catch up in no time ;)

I also enjoy Sazeds chapters more then the ones about Vin and Elend, these aren't bad, but I prefer him as a character. Also I am curious to get to know more of Marshes story!

Beste | 1163 comments Ahhh @siobhan honey, you are not even there yet. I cant imagine what you will say towards the end. (I will be able to comment more when I get back)

Timelord Iain | 16602 comments Chris wrote: "I'm at chapter 14 right now... I can't keep up to your pacing Siobhan!"

It's all relative... You say Siobhan is too fast... Siobhan says I'm too fast... I say Soo (in another group) is too fast...and maybe Choko...

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Chris wrote: "I'm at chapter 14 right now... I can't keep up to your pacing Siobhan!"

Sorry Chris! I left myself three days between this and Before They are Hanged so I tried to read as quickly as I could, knowing I'd still be late for Abercrombie anyway. I would rather not read these two side by side as I think I'll get confused /start comparing or liking one more than the other.

Yes Iain is too fast for me haha. But it's OK, his spoiler tags are like little gifts for me to work through when I catch up. XD

@Anni, I'm glad your reaction to that thought was the same as mine!!

@Beste, I'm not sure I like the suggestion that there is worse to come from the lady Vin...

Timelord Iain | 16602 comments I, too, am not a fan of love triangles... leads to lots of annoying angst... usually...

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2423 comments I'm also not a fan of love triangles and spoilers for final empire

(view spoiler)

message 47: by Anni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anni | 5020 comments Ahdam wrote: "I'm also not a fan of love triangles and spoilers for final empire
[spoilers removed]"

You are right! (view spoiler)

Chris (murphy44) | 706 comments Siobhan wrote: "Chris wrote: "I'm at chapter 14 right now... I can't keep up to your pacing Siobhan!"

Sorry Chris! I left myself three days between this and Before They are Hanged so I tried to read as quickly as..."

It's all good, I'm just doing what I can each day, which is between 60 & 100 pages, without neglecting my wife and kids!

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Chris wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "Chris wrote: "I'm at chapter 14 right now... I can't keep up to your pacing Siobhan!"

Sorry Chris! I left myself three days between this and Before They are Hanged so I tried to re..."

That's really good going! That's about my normal rate, but I had a lazy weekend. Barely moved off my sofa. By rights I should have read more, I just get distracted haha.

Ahdam, totally agree about Final Empire. I don't dislike Vin at all, I think she's strong and capable and kind, but sometimes things she does or doesn't do annoy me. I'm sure I'll love her in the end :)

message 50: by Siobhan (last edited Nov 28, 2017 01:48PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments OK... Chapter 47 (view spoiler)

« previous 1