Bookworm Belles discussion

Archives > November WCRTM

Comments Showing 1-50 of 93 (93 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Christina (last edited Dec 01, 2017 12:39AM) (new)

Christina Rochester (christinarochester) Here's the November WCRTM challenge. As usual the aim is to see who can read the most books over the course of the month.
All books must be started and finished in the month of November.
The points system will work as follows:
150-249 pages - 1 point
250-349 pages - 2 points
350-449 pages - 3 points
450+ pages - 4 points
All pages are done based off the Goodreads Paperback pages.

Bonus points can also be earned.
2 points for including a link to your review (at least two paragraphs long)
1 point if the book is a standalone
1 point per book in series (if the entire series is read in November).

Participants:
1. Christina - 13 points
2. Amy Leigh - 25 points
3. Tiffany - 73 points
4. Jess - 31 points
5. Natasha - 27 points
6. Erin - 10 points

message 2: by Amy Leigh (last edited Nov 30, 2017 09:11PM) (new)

Amy Leigh (xxamyleighxx) | 138 comments I'm in! ♥️
Total Points: 25

1. Believe Me by H.S. Stone
Believe Me by H.S. Stone
Pages: 206
Standalone: Yes
Review:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

2. Haven by Mary Lindsey
Haven by Mary Lindsey
Pages: 371
Review:

3. Expression by E.G. Wilson
Expression by E.G. Wilson
Pages: 240
Standalone: no
Review:

4. Bloodbound (The Cruentus Curse, #0.5) by Amalie Howard
Bloodbound by Amalie Howard
Pages: 122
Review:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

5. Tess of the Road by Rachel Hartman
Tess of the Road by Rachel Hartman
Pages: 521
Standalone: yes
Review:

6. The Five Fists of Science by Matt Fraction
The Five Fists of Science by Matt Fraction
Pages: 120
Review:

message 3: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Marin (tiffers919) | 444 comments I’m in!

message 4: by Jess (new)

Jess | 400 comments I'm In

message 5: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Polak | 58 comments I’m in!

message 6: by Erin (new)

Erin (erin_johnson) | 53 comments I'm in!

message 7: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Polak | 58 comments I’m so frustrated this morning!! I was all set to read my first book for the month, and went to upload it using my Overdrive app to borrow it from my local library like I often do. However, after I went through the usual steps, it didn’t show up in my kindle content and neither do any other books I’ve tried to borrow today! I’ve wasted the last two hours trying to figure it out and am now talking to customer support. So annoying!

message 8: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Polak | 58 comments So apparently Amazon servers are experiencing issues. Who knew!

message 9: by Christina (new)

Christina Rochester (christinarochester) Oh thanks for the warning Natasha, I had no idea they were down either.

message 10: by Erin (new)

Erin (erin_johnson) | 53 comments Is it okay if I finish some books I started last month but only count the pages that I read in this month?

message 11: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Marin (tiffers919) | 444 comments I had trouble with returning a book on my overdrive app the night before last. I returned a library book early bc I’d finished it. I returned it on the Amazon site like normal and got the little “personal letter” on my kindle saying the book was returned but it still showed as being checked out on the app. Also, the app said that I had room to check out 1 more book (should have been 2 after returning the 1) but when I tried to check one out, I got a message saying I was at my limit.

message 12: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Marin (tiffers919) | 444 comments I’m looking at a series to read with my kindle unlimited for this month. I have the option of getting each book individually or all in the omnibus editions, so that it would only take up 1 selection. If I did that would it count as reading each book or as reading 1 really long book?

message 13: by Christina (new)

Christina Rochester (christinarochester) How strange. I’ve never used the overdrive app, I just use the kindle app and spend what little money I have on books.

Erin, it’s only books starting this month. If it makes you feel better I started a new book last night as I completely forgot the date, and only read 9 pages of it so my current read is worth nil points.

message 14: by Christina (new)

Christina Rochester (christinarochester) Tiffany,

Technically it would depend on whether you make it as the singular books on goodreads, or whether you mark it as the omnibus. Obviously marking them individually would get you more points.

message 15: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Polak | 58 comments Christmas at Harrington's
Christmas at Harrington's by Melody Carlson
Pages: 155

I'm was pleasantly surprised when the issue with my app resolved faster than I expected so that I could get this this morning after all!

message 16: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Marin (tiffers919) | 444 comments I guess what I’m asking is how should we mark it? I don’t want to cheat or anything

message 17: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Polak | 58 comments Tiffany wrote: "I guess what I’m asking is how should we mark it? I don’t want to cheat or anything"

I would think it would just be your preference??? Because then you'd be writing one large review, or individual ones by plots.

message 18: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Marin (tiffers919) | 444 comments True. Personally, I’d rather do individual reviews. The only reason I’m thinking about getting the omnibus is so that it only takes 1 of my 10 selections

message 19: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Polak | 58 comments Well if that’s the case, and so long as you are tracking the specific number of pages per actual story, then I would think you could still list them individually and do multiple reviews.

message 20: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Marin (tiffers919) | 444 comments That’s what I was hoping since I’m still going to be reading the whole series

message 21: by Amy Leigh (new)

Amy Leigh (xxamyleighxx) | 138 comments Tiffany I think you should do them individually! I love your reviews 😊

Side note: I may not read as much as normal for a bit this month bc my dad had a stroke yesterday. I'm mentally exhausted and in and out of the hospital.

message 22: by Natasha (last edited Nov 01, 2017 01:04PM) (new)

Natasha Polak | 58 comments Sorry to hear that Amy Leigh! I hope he’s on the mend!

message 23: by Christina (new)

Christina Rochester (christinarochester) Oh no Amy! I hope you and all your family are doing okay, and I’ll be keeping you guys in my prayers.

message 24: by Amy Leigh (new)

Amy Leigh (xxamyleighxx) | 138 comments Thank you! He is still having slurred speech and one side of his mouth is droopy. He is having more tests run today. Hopefully he will have a fast recovery, I appreciate your prayers! I'm just mentally/emotionally exhausted.

message 25: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Marin (tiffers919) | 444 comments Aww thank you, Amy! I’ll be praying for you and your family and that your Dad has a full recovery. *hugs*

message 26: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Marin (tiffers919) | 444 comments 1. Heartless
Pages: 455
Link to review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

I may be a bit slower at first too. They finally rescheduled my surgery (hiatal hernia repair)and it’s tomorrow morning. I’ll be in the hospital at least one night. I’ll have my phone and kindle with me but I’m not sure how much reading I’ll be doing.

message 27: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Polak | 58 comments The Promise Girls
The Promise Girls by Marie Bostwick
Pages: 346

message 28: by Jess (new)

Jess | 400 comments Only a Kiss (The Survivors' Club, #6) by Mary Balogh
Pages:400
Standalone: No
Points 3

* It's part of a series but i don't plan on reading them all

message 29: by Amy Leigh (new)

Amy Leigh (xxamyleighxx) | 138 comments How are you feeling Tiffany??

message 30: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Polak | 58 comments Because You're Mine
Because You're Mine by Colleen Coble
Pages: 336

I believe my running total should now be 14 points in all, as this makes my 3rd book for the month I've read.

message 31: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Marin (tiffers919) | 444 comments Surgery didn’t go well. There were some complications and I lost a lot of blood. To find the source of the bleeding and repair it, I went from having just the 4 little laparoscopic incisions to also having one that goes pretty much the length of my abdomen. Instead of 1 night in the hospital, I’ve been in ICU since Friday. I should get moved to a regular room in the morning. I’ve been sleeping a lot and I’m a lot of pain so concentrating to read hasn’t been easy. Normally I’d finish the book I’m reading in a day or two but I’ve been reading since Friday night and am only at 15%. How is your Dad doing? I’ve been praying for y’all

message 32: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Marin (tiffers919) | 444 comments I haven’t really been able to concentrate on the book I’m reading at the moment because of pain levels. Now, it’s about to go back to library and I’ll be on a wait list to get it back. Can I just completely start over when I get it back?

message 33: by Christina (new)

Christina Rochester (christinarochester) Course you can Tiffany.

To be honest I think we’re all having a rubbish month health wise. I managed to fall down the stairs and fracture my knee yesterday, and haven’t eaten in several days so I’m now on anti sickness tablets as well as something to thicken my stomach lining.

message 34: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Marin (tiffers919) | 444 comments Oh no! I’ll be praying for you, honey! The Lake House went back to the library and by the time the wait list is up I’ll have to start from the beginning anyway. I’m having a little easier time concentrating on The Butterfly Effect, which is good since I’m supposed to review it lol. I’m still sleeping a lot though and really in a lot of pain. Dr is still trying to figure out what is causing my heart rate to be so high. Oxygen levels keep dropping when I sleep too but that’s an easy fix. I think they’re going to check for blood clots in my lungs just to be safe though. Please pray about the iv’s though as I’ve blown 3 so far. Between that and blood draws I’m starting to look like I use recreational drugs lol

message 35: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Marin (tiffers919) | 444 comments Amy, how is your Dad doing, btw?

message 36: by Christina (new)

Christina Rochester (christinarochester) Awwww no Tiffany that’s exactly what I’m like when I’m in hospital. Seem to shoot cannulas out of my arms every five minutes. I’m feeling rough as hell, my boyfriends had to put me in the bath cos I can’t do anything myself at the moment and all I want to do is sleep

message 37: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Marin (tiffers919) | 444 comments If this one blows they’re going to put in a midline. With all the blood draws, they had trouble finding a vein for this iv. The only issue is there isn’t anyone to do a midline at night

message 38: by Christina (new)

Christina Rochester (christinarochester) What is a midline? And surely there must be someone in the hospital qualified to put one in

message 39: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Marin (tiffers919) | 444 comments It’s an iv but designed to last longer than a regular so it goes deeper in your vein. They have people certified to do them during the day but not on night shift

message 40: by Christina (new)

Christina Rochester (christinarochester) That’s fudging ridiculous. So are you supposed to suffer through the night?

message 41: by Jess (last edited Nov 08, 2017 03:54PM) (new)

Jess | 400 comments Vengeance Road (Vengeance Road, #1) by Erin Bowman
Pages: 327

message 42: by Tiffany (last edited Nov 08, 2017 06:28PM) (new)

Tiffany Marin (tiffers919) | 444 comments They found someone to do it if there’s a problem tonight so I guess it was just last night that there wasn’t anyone. This is good bc this iv is already showing signs.

message 43: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Marin (tiffers919) | 444 comments 2. The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer
Pages: 452
Link to review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 44: by Christina (new)

Christina Rochester (christinarochester) I’m glad they got you sorted Tiffany

message 45: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Marin (tiffers919) | 444 comments Thank you

message 46: by Jess (new)

Jess | 400 comments Half a King (Shattered Sea, #1) by Joe Abercrombie
Pages: 336

message 47: by Amy Leigh (new)

Amy Leigh (xxamyleighxx) | 138 comments Tiffany- I'm so sorry you're going through all of that! Please rest up & I'm praying for you!

Christina- I hope they figure out what's wrong and that you get to feeling better soon!

Hugs to you both!

My dad is expected to make a full recovery but he's having a lot of trouble with his speech still. He's also having trouble with breathing, we all think he may have sleep apnea. They put him on an aspirin regiment, cholesterol & bp medications. He also is going to a primary care doctor in December for a follow up. He's gonna tell them about the breathing troubles then.

It just really hit me hard yesterday what happened to him and I broke down & cried. It's like my brain is just now catching up to what happened.

I haven't been able to read much either. I think I'm gonna put the book I've been trying to read down & try a different one like Tiffany did.

♥️

message 48: by Christina (new)

Christina Rochester (christinarochester) Amy Leigh that’s really not surprising to be honest. It was bound to take time for things to hit you, and now that it seems your father is over the worst it’s only natural it would hit now.

And thank you. We know it all stems from a patch of fluid on my brain, but it’s in too difficult a place to drain, and it means if I get stressed (a lot of relationship problems at the moment), then I get a lot worse.

message 49: by Jess (new)

Jess | 400 comments Crimson Bound by Rosamund Hodge
Pages:441

message 50: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Marin (tiffers919) | 444 comments *hugs Amy Leigh* I’m so sorry you and your dad have been going through so much. It didn’t surprise me that things didn’t really hit until they started to quiet down so to speak. I’ll keep praying for you honey. If you need anything, let me know.

« previous 1