Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > We Have Always Lived in the Castle- Shirley Jackson

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Honestly, I don't know quite what to say. I just finished the book and am still pondering it. Am I sad, horrified, disturbed, disgusted, moved? Maybe all of the above.

Shirley Jackson's stories always effect me deeply, leaving me pondering people, society, and life. Her stories stick with throughout the years and I always revisit and find their effect is still as strong. And this story is no different.

I leave this story asking myself, "Who really are the insane ones?"

message 2: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 1197 comments This is my favorite by Jackson so far, and one of my favorite scary books.

message 3: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments I had never heard of it until recently. My favorite is a short story. An Ordinary Day With Peanuts

message 4: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2224 comments I just didn't care of this. Maybe my expectations were too high. Plus I had to buy it since none of the County libraries owned a copy. I agree with your final line though "Who really are the insane ones?"

message 5: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Barbara, If you don't mind me asking, what didn't you like? I do admit it's not as good as The Lottery or An Ordinary Day With Peanuts.

message 6: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2224 comments Jason wrote: "Barbara, If you don't mind me asking, what didn't you like? I do admit it's not as good as The Lottery or An Ordinary Day With Peanuts."

Its very hard to say what I didn't like. It really just didn't grab me, I didn't get the motivations of the characters and didn't particularly like them. In my review I said that I didn't connect with the characters. I picked up the book because of so many excellent reviews but I didn't know I was getting into some dark humor and mental illness. The cover on mine was very misleading, looking very idyllic; which is just the wrong way to judge a book! If I had known more about the story; I might have approached it differently and enjoyed it more.