Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Off Topic > Scary Books

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2364 comments Every year, some of my friends from college and I participate in All Hallow's Read where we draw names and then do a scary book exchange and send each other a book in the mail. The person I have this year specifically requested a very scary book. I don't read truly scary books, so I'm looking for recommendations. What are some of your favorite really scary books?

http://www.allhallowsread.com/

message 2: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 704 comments I can't think of any true horror stories that scared me like a horror movie would. The Shining was the only one that came close...but I was 16 when I read it.

message 3: by Erica (new)

Erica | 500 comments I'm hard to scare, but some books I've read that I found kind of scary:

Bird Box
Hex
The Troop
The Girl Next Door
It
House of Leaves
Nos4a2

message 4: by Debra (new)

Debra Barstad I have not read it yet but this book scared the master of horror so must be good. the book is A Head Full of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay

message 5: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Laura | 3784 comments Mod
I'm on the app so I can't link. But some scary ones for me:

Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill
The Ruins by Scott Smith
Bird Box by Josh Malerman

As a heads up, The Ruins is a movie so they may have already seen it but the book is very unsettling.

message 6: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2364 comments I really like that two of you said Bird Box. I actually have that book, so it would be really easy to pass that on.

message 7: by Lieke (last edited Oct 23, 2017 02:25AM) (new)

Lieke | 697 comments I just finished reading Hex by Thomas Olde Heuvelt, but opinions about this book vary. Some people find it very scary and can't sleep at night....

message 8: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3470 comments I think reading so much Stephen King as a child ruined me for scary books. I can’t remember the last time a book genuinely scared me! I would seriously love to find a truly terrifying book again.

message 9: by goldberry (new)

goldberry (missgoldberry) | 6 comments Just finished A Head Full of Ghosts and it was amazing! Had some seriously disturbing and creepy moments. I also read my first Stephen King books this year and while I wasn't a fan of It, I loved 'Salem's Lot (and usually I'm not a fan of vampire books).
Also, Bird Box is must read for people who like creepy books! It was incredible, can't recommend it enough.