Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

Chit Chat & All That > Autumnal Themed Reads

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tonia (new)

Tonia (yestonia) | 250 comments During the rest of the year, I am not too aware of the mood which accompanies a read - mostly because I may be reading on the beach, in bed, in the car or anywhere I happen to be with a moment to spare - autumn/winter, though, it's all about snuggling on the sofa with a blanket and a hot water bottle so the mood means more.

Anyone have any suggestions for good "snuggled up" reads? Not necessarily horror/ghost stories, the GR blog is churning out plenty of those (and because it seems US-centric, I can't get hold of most of the books - of their recent list of 50 books, my library only carries 2!
There are lots of other themes - stormy weather (since here we are in the grip of Hurricane Brian right now!), DotD, All Souls/Saints, Samhain - anyone have any book suggestions for these themes? Or indeed anything else suited to this time of year?

message 2: by Michele (last edited Oct 21, 2017 03:08PM) (new)

Michele | 1008 comments Fall and winter, I tend to enjoy British authors, for some reason. Mysteries (Dorothy Sayers, Agatha Christie), classics (The Count of Monte Cristo, Pride and Prejudice, Dickens), humor (Three Men in a Boat, P. G. Wodehouse, Terry Pratchett), fantasy (Tolkien, Stoker, H. Rider Haggard).

message 3: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3714 comments "Snuggled up" reads sounds so inviting right now! I think anything by the Bronte sisters might fit that description. (There's always lots of weather on the moors!) Wuthering Heights is my favorite, but I read Jane Eyre last year and couldn't wait to get back to it each night!

For some reason The Picture of Dorian Gray seems just the thing. I love that one.

message 4: by lethe (new)

lethe | 127 comments Hated Wuthering Heights, but seconding Jane Eyre :)

message 5: by lethe (new)

lethe | 127 comments Tonia wrote: "There are lots of other themes - stormy weather (since here we are in the grip of Hurricane Brian right now!), DotD, All Souls/Saints, Samhain - anyone have any book suggestions for these themes? Or indeed anything else suited to this time of year?"

Haven't read it yet, but The Thin Place by Kathryn Davis perhaps.

Weathering by Lucy Wood (but have to say that if I ever reread this, it will be during a heatwave).

message 6: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1549 comments I like reading the classics too. If you like long books, I recommend the six Barsetshire novels by Anthony Trollope.

message 8: by Tonia (new)

Tonia (yestonia) | 250 comments Lots of great suggestions, thank you all!

message 9: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 1607 comments Tonia, one theme you mentioned is the Day of the Dead. I haven't read Under the Volcano by Malcolm Lowry yet, although it is on my TBR. But it is set in Mexico on November 2nd, DotD.

message 10: by Tonia (new)

Tonia (yestonia) | 250 comments Laurie wrote: "Tonia, one theme you mentioned is the Day of the Dead. I haven't read Under the Volcano by Malcolm Lowry yet, although it is on my TBR. But it is set in Mexico on Novemb..."

That looks good, Laurie - thanks.

message 11: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments I like to read Victorian novels during autumn and winter. For newer novels anything that's atmospheric with the weather, such as History of Wolves, Housekeeping, Burial Rites, or The Thirteenth Tale. I think Daphne du Maurier is a great author to read during autumn as well.

message 12: by lethe (new)

lethe | 127 comments Ooh yes, Housekeeping! Beautiful book.

I have Burial Rites on my to-read list, definitely for autumn/winter.

message 13: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Burial Rites is a book that I enjoyed, but it didn't blow me away at the time. However, it's stuck in my mind ever since. I really want to read her newer book too.

message 14: by Nente (new)

Nente | 774 comments Try Snow Country by Kawabata. Other things by him I read seemed also to match the autumnal mood, even if the weather didn't coincide.

message 15: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 1607 comments Tonia, I just saw this list today. Maybe you will see something interesting for autumn.

message 16: by Michele (new)

Michele | 1008 comments For fall, The October Country seems appropriate :)

message 17: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3714 comments Laurie wrote: "Tonia, I just saw this list today. Maybe you will see something interesting for autumn."

Thanks for posting this link, Laurie--I found a few I had to add, even if I won't get to them until next autumn!

message 18: by Tonia (new)

Tonia (yestonia) | 250 comments Laurie wrote: "Tonia, I just saw this list today. Maybe you will see something interesting for autumn."

That's a good article, thanks Laurie.

Thank you to everyone for all the great suggestions.

message 19: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 27, 2017 06:01AM) (new)

Seconding novels by Daphne du Maurier, maybe with the exception of Jamaica Inn.

Here are a few lists that may help, although they aren't all related to classics. The Autumn theme is self-explanatory but sometimes I like to read travel themed books during the cooler months.
Autumn:
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...
Travel:
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/6...