Books2Movies Club discussion

The Wisdom of Eve
This topic is about The Wisdom of Eve
Quick Reads > The Wisdom of Eve

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Zeljka (ztook) | 2936 comments Mod
Only a play The Wisdom of Eve is on the GR site, but I guess you won't fail if you read the play instead of the original short story as it is intended. If not as a stand-alone, the story may be found in collections, such as Adaptations: From Short Story to Big Screen: 35 Great Stories That Have Inspired Great Films.
The story is best known for its movie adaptation, a mesmerizing All About Eve (1950). It was afterwards adapted into a Broadway musical Applause, that also received a TV version, Applause (1973). They are probably both worth watching, but it would be nice to read the original story too, if you can find it of course.

message 2: by Sue (new) - added it

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 10 comments Well I read this but I guess I'm the only one! I read the actual one from the Adaptations book. It's a great story. I have never seen the film believe it or not but will try to see it soon.

message 3: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Woodward | 28 comments I read it too. Well, I couldn't find the original story, but got my hands on the play, which was adapted by the author Mary Orr herself. I liked some of the differences, but I missed the drama critic character played in the movie by George Saunders. The endings are quite different.
I own the dvd of the movie. One of the special features is called "The Real Eve." It's about where Mary Orr got the idea for the story. It was based on a true story which was told to her by a famous stage actress. The woman in the story who became Eve in the story was very upset about the way she was portrayed. Orr says she took the idea as told to her and fictionalized it. This is what fiction writers do, of course. It is fascinating that the real life "Eve" did not see it that way.

message 4: by Sue (new) - added it

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 10 comments Interesting! I can't wait to see the film. hopefully I can get to it over the long weekend end

Zeljka (ztook) | 2936 comments Mod
A brilliant short story, and movie adapted it well. I can't quite remember if the movie ends exactly the same way or not, but it seems to me it was faithful to the essence of the story. Both Ann Baxter and Bette Davis were perfect matches for those characters.

message 6: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Woodward | 28 comments I didn't find the original story, but I read the play the author made from her story. It had a few differences from the movie, which I know very well. I enjoyed the play very much.