Mists of Avalon > Mists of Avalon - Book Two - The High Queen

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 4 stars

Matthew (funkygman007) | 1709 comments Mod
Discuss Book Two of The Mists of Avalon here

message 2: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anyone else on book two? Seems like for now each chapter is a rehashing of who loves who, who wants to love who, why that love is forbidden, and what needs to happen for there to be legit heirs to the throne.

message 3: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 4 stars

So much Christianity vs Paganism in this section. I don't mind if that is just a part of the story, but it feels like it is getting kind of preachy.

Phil Jensen | 18 comments Matthew wrote: "So much Christianity vs Paganism in this section. I don't mind if that is just a part of the story, but it feels like it is getting kind of preachy."

The odd thing is that it reads like an attack on Medieval Christianity. If Bradley wanted to attack current beliefs and practices, then she's really wide of the mark.

Glenda | 61 comments I am about half-way through book 2 and I agree. There seems to be an escalating comparison of Christianity and Paganism. I hope this isn't the theme for the rest of the story; I appreciate the author was passionate about her beliefs, but I when I read a fantasy like this I love to be entertained, not preached to. On an interesting side note: my best friend has read this book several times and doesn't really see this, she has always loved the story for what it is (she is in her 40's like myself and first read this in the late '80's. It is interesting how the times can change our views of such classics).

message 6: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 4 stars

Glenda wrote: "I am about half-way through book 2 and I agree. There seems to be an escalating comparison of Christianity and Paganism. I hope this isn't the theme for the rest of the story; I appreciate the auth..."

I have heard a few others say they didn't remember or notice the Christianity vs Paganism. That surprises me because so far, for me, that is pretty much all it is!

Phil Jensen | 18 comments Matthew wrote: "I have heard a few others say they didn't remember or notice the Christianity vs Paganism. "

Well. I have also seen others on Goodreads say that they missed the Christian imagery in A Wrinkle in Time. Just the other day, I saw someone describe A Christmas Carol as "subtle." Reading for theme is an acquired skill, even for adults. I admit that I have struggled at times with books like The Master and Margarita. When I read Breakfast at Tiffany's, I was so convinced that the book was about friendzoning that I missed the clues that the narrator was gay.

You see what you look for. If you're looking for a magical soap opera, then that's what you'll get. And frankly, the themes of this book are so bungled that you might be better off that way.

Phil Jensen | 18 comments Regarding the whole Christianity vs. Paganism argument, I'm going to link my review again here:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

My first impression was that Paganism was shown to be corrupt and manipulative because Bradley was trying to pull an Ursula K. Le Guin and show the pros and cons of both sides. After reflection, I think that the female relationships and Pagan practices described in the book are similar to what Bradley preferred in her personal life, and she is actually trying to describe them positively.

message 9: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 4 stars

Phil wrote: "Matthew wrote: "I have heard a few others say they didn't remember or notice the Christianity vs Paganism. "

Well. I have also seen others on Goodreads say that they missed the Christian imagery i..."

Ha! I like that - magical soap opera!

Truthfully, I wasn't sure what to expect going into this book. Maybe seeing the discussions about Christianity/Paganism skewed my approach. Also, competing religious themes seems more commonplace in book discussions over the past few years. Perhaps if I had read it 10 years ago, my perception of it would have been different.

message 10: by Carol (new)

Carol | 57 comments Matthew wrote: "Perhaps if I had read it 10 years ago, my perception of it would have been different."

I know that my perception of books certainly changes over time as my life experience changes.